LOCI - Email (w/ pdf or word attachment) vs. Snail Mail

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
incase2011

LOCI - Email (w/ pdf or word attachment) vs. Snail Mail

Postby incase2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm on two waitlists so far, and because of the millions of school threads, I haven't found a thread answering this specific question. It could be I'm bad at looking haha, or that this site's search feature frustrates me (a google search with top law schools prefacing your query is a much better method IMO)

Email or snail mail - why?
If email, pdf or word doc.

Thanks for input in advance.

c_dubya_s

Re: LOCI - Email (w/ pdf or word attachment) vs. Snail Mail

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 pm

incase2011 wrote:I'm on two waitlists so far, and because of the millions of school threads, I haven't found a thread answering this specific question. It could be I'm bad at looking haha, or that this site's search feature frustrates me (a google search with top law schools prefacing your query is a much better method IMO)

Email with a PDF (less formatting issues), unless the school absolutely refuses to accept attachments (Hi, Harvard!)

Better yet, give a quick email/call to the admissions office to ask. Personal contact never hurt.

jtb00711

Postby jtb00711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 pm

I have snail mailed both of my for the sole reason that I know SOMEONE will have to open it. Emails can be overlooked too easy for me to find comfort in sending one using that method.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:36 pm

incase2011 wrote:I'm on two waitlists so far, and because of the millions of school threads, I haven't found a thread answering this specific question. It could be I'm bad at looking haha, or that this site's search feature frustrates me (a google search with top law schools prefacing your query is a much better method IMO)

I think it would be best to ask. I've e-mailed two and sent one via snail mail per the preferences of the admissions office. Most prefer e-mail, I think.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:48 pm

I just put the LOCI in the body of an email, because I've heard schools don't like to mess with attachments.

Err, hope that's okay...

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:

Email with a PDF (less formatting issues), unless the school absolutely refuses to accept attachments (Hi, Harvard!)

Better yet, give a quick email/call to the admissions office to ask. Personal contact never hurt.

Wow - I guess schools are that much paranoid about worms/virus? They've probably been burned a few times

incase2011

Postby incase2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:55 pm

I guess body of the email should be another preference. My thought was that they would, hopefully, print it out and put it in file. It seemed like an attachment would be better in that case.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:56 pm

I don't have the URL but here's what I got off another TLS thread. Sounds pretty legit to me:

How should I send my LOCI?

Assuming the school doesn’t specifically tell you how to send in additional materials, it is preferable to physically mail your LOCI as opposed to emailing it. By physically mailing the letter, you know that someone will have to open it and when they do, they will place it in your file. If you email it, you have to rely on whoever reads it to print it out and place it in your file. Additionally, emails have a greater chance of being overlooked than a hard copy letter. The deans and admissions committees are being flooded with emails around decision time. You want to eliminate any chance of administrative error and sending a physical letter helps you do that. A physical letter also takes more time and effort to send than an e-mail and is a sign that sending the LOCI was important to you.

gin

Postby gin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:01 pm

I heard that snail mail is the best way. The two I've sent though were sent via email. To make sure they received it, I just call the school if I haven't received a confirmation email by the afternoon. I only do it via email because its faster

incase2011

Postby incase2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:02 pm

I see what you're saying. I kind of had a gut feeling toward snail mail, but I wanted to see the popular opinion. I guess if there's a time factor, or the school specifies, you go with email. Otherwise, why not? Not to discredit those who have already sent in via email.

incase2011

Postby incase2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:03 pm

gin wrote:I heard that snail mail is the best way. The two I've sent though were sent via email. To make sure they received it, I just call the school if I haven't received a confirmation email by the afternoon. I only do it via email because its faster

Wait you should call the school to get a confirmation they received the LOCI?

gin

Postby gin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:13 pm

incase2011 wrote:
gin wrote:I heard that snail mail is the best way. The two I've sent though were sent via email. To make sure they received it, I just call the school if I haven't received a confirmation email by the afternoon. I only do it via email because its faster

I'm not sure if people should. That's just what I do if they don't send me a confirmation email on their own, but then again I'm slightly paranoid and won't be able to rest until I know they received it.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:25 pm

gin wrote:
incase2011 wrote:

I'm not sure if people should. That's just what I do if they don't send me a confirmation email on their own, but then again I'm slightly paranoid and won't be able to rest until I know they received it.

I'm the same way. When I sent 2 diff. LOCIs via snail mail and after 1-2 weeks I still hadn't received a confirmation of receipt, I e-mailed the admissions office for both schools to make sure they had received it. Within a couple hours at both schools let me know they did indeed receive them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”