Waitlist Hell

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcweanis

Re: Waitlist Hell

Postby mcweanis » Thu May 19, 2011 1:42 pm

tooswolle wrote:Has anybody in this thread lost hope altogether? Out of all my applications I got 1 rejection, 1 acceptance and 5 waitlists. Seriously; the waitlist process is freaking whack man. Schools should just accept or reject a candidate instead of stringing them along hoping to get in to a good school. Looks like i'll be riding these out and probably working a few more years and eventually going in to an MBA program......

what? you're giving up on law school? if you give up that easy it's probably good that you aren't going anyway. theres a lot of things you could do, including retake the lsats..

Postby 071816 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:56 pm

mcweanis wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Has anybody in this thread lost hope altogether? Out of all my applications I got 1 rejection, 1 acceptance and 5 waitlists. Seriously; the waitlist process is freaking whack man. Schools should just accept or reject a candidate instead of stringing them along hoping to get in to a good school. Looks like i'll be riding these out and probably working a few more years and eventually going in to an MBA program......

what? you're giving up on law school? if you give up that easy it's probably good that you aren't going anyway. theres a lot of things you could do, including retake the lsats..

LOL I still have no idea why people say "the LSATs" but it cracks me up every time.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu May 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Maybe I was a bit premature in my last post. I had just heard I got waitlisted by the last school I applied to. To say the least it's demoralizing, and as others have said a retake is a possibility but I really don't want to take that evil test again lol. But in all seriousness waitlists suck balls. Were all capable candidates who I assumed were sincere on their applications so why do the schools keep us stringing along while some that they accept have multiple deposits at schools.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm

tooswolle wrote:Maybe I was a bit premature in my last post. I had just heard I got waitlisted by the last school I applied to. To say the least it's demoralizing, and as others have said a retake is a possibility but I really don't want to take that evil test again lol. But in all seriousness waitlists suck balls. Were all capable candidates who I assumed were sincere on their applications so why do the schools keep us stringing along while some that they accept have multiple deposits at schools.

Law schools are looking out for themselves, ensuring they meet their necessary class size, numbers, and finances. It sucks I know, but they really could care less about stringing us all along, so long as their needs are met.

About retaking though, I know exactly how you feel. I hate the LSAT and was completely against a retake, but in the end you have to just take the plunge and take it again if your not getting into schools you desperately want to attend. Usually its a mere couple of points that makes the difference between admit and waitlist. A higher LSAT is pretty much the only thing you can do to considerable strengthen you app.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Thu May 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Not ready to give up hope, but I have sort of resigned myself to making plans for attending one of my 'in' schools. The WL this year is pretty ridiculous, though. I feel like schools decided to be extremely conservative in making offers after last year's crazy applicant pool, and I also think that people are being a lot more aggressive in trying to hold out for the highest ranked schools. Also, you have to imagine there are a lot of people re-applying after last year, which makes the mix even more unpredictable.

For myself, other than lost deposit money there's no downside to holding out, so I'm planning to wait things out until at least the end of July, but I'm hoping to be able to just forget about things and go on with my life until that point. Stressing over every update is bad for your health and doesn't help anything, after all.

As for LSAT retakes, I retook and bumped my score by 6 points, putting me in 170+ range. It's definitely possible, especially since I feel like it's at least partly random how hard a test you get vis a vis your own test-taking strengths. First time I bombed logic games but aced everything else. So I studied the hell out of logic games, only to run into a reading comp passage in the 2nd test that threw me. Maybe if I'd done it a 3rd time...?

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Thu May 19, 2011 7:19 pm

I think both of you have valid points about retaking the lsat pretty much being our only recourse.. It just hits me that being wailisted means your qualified for admission however the competition was better. Seems like a hit to the ego I suppose. I also remember reading that people who are waitlisted would have been admitted in previous cycles but as the school looks to raise medians they waitlist other candidates; so it is what it is. For me, I'll ride out the waitlists and since they are schools that are worth the investment but if nothing pans out I'll apply later and hopefully the application cycle isn't as cut throat as it has been in the past few years.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Thu May 19, 2011 8:13 pm

actually, didn't less people apply this year?

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Thu May 19, 2011 9:11 pm

mcweanis wrote:actually, didn't less people apply this year?

Fewer people apparently applied this cycle than last, but still more than in previous years. Last year was such a huge jump that the carryover will probably be felt for a few years to come.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Fri May 27, 2011 1:57 am

Off the WL at Vandy with a token school ($5K/yr). So maybe I'm in WL Purgatory now? Still committed to riding out the remaining 6 until the end of the summer.

auroojgulzar

Postby auroojgulzar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:30 am

off two waitlist one with money one w/o. not bad at all... :)

kristyk

Postby kristyk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:55 am

At one point should WL-ers give up hope?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:58 am

kristyk wrote:At one point should WL-ers give up hope?

As long as your willing to still risk losing a deposit elsewhere, break a lease, have to find housing on short notice, and move, then you can maintain hope. But once you feel like your plans are too set in stone, I'd cut the cord.

gjr8891

Postby gjr8891 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am

Just as I started to lose hope, I was accepted off of two WLs this past week. There is hope. Give those admission directors weekly calls if you have to. Assure them that you'd immediately accept an offer and send the seat deposit if they accepted you. Good luck.

legal10101

Postby legal10101 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13 pm

gjr8891 wrote:Just as I started to lose hope, I was accepted off of two WLs this past week. There is hope. Give those admission directors weekly calls if you have to. Assure them that you'd immediately accept an offer and send the seat deposit if they accepted you. Good luck.

Do you mind sharing where you were accepted and your stats? PM me if you would like.

Thanks

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Flips88 wrote:

As long as your willing to still risk losing a deposit elsewhere, break a lease, have to find housing on short notice, and move, then you can maintain hope. But once you feel like your plans are too set in stone, I'd cut the cord.

Yeah, I'd hesitate to use the old 'abandon all hope' adage. Apparently people really do get in off WLs into orientation. But I think if you count too much on this and position yourself to take advantage in this occurrence you'll likely be putting yourself at a disadvantage in the (much more likely) event that you don't get picked. 2nd deposit deadlines just passed and if there's going to be any further big movement I'd guess it will be by the end of the month, so maybe you should hold out until then anyway. After that I'd start planning on attending one of the schools you're in at.

I was thinking of changing the name of this thread to 'Waitlist Redemption,' but it looks like people will be suffering through this through the summer. Good luck to everyone still toughing it out.
Last edited by bigjinjapan on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auroojgulzar

Postby auroojgulzar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:11 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Yeah, I'd hesitate to use the old 'abandon all hope' adage. Apparently people really do get in off WLs into orientation. But I think if you count too much on this and position yourself to take advantage in this occurrence you'll likely be putting yourself at a disadvantage in the (much more likely) event that you don't get picked. 2nd deposit deadlines just passed and if there's going to be any further bug movement I'd guess it wi be by the end of the month, so maybe you should hold out until then anyway. After that I'd start planning on attending the one of the schools you're in at.

I was thinking of changing the name of this thread to 'Waitlist Redemption', but it looks like people will be suffering through this through the summer. Good luck to everyone still toughing it out.

I agree with bigjinjapan's thought pattern.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 pm

The next few weeks should be hot for waitlist movement since most schools are just now trying to fill seats after second deposits. I got two WL offers in the past two days (I was on four). Keep your head up for now, but I would move forward with other plans come late July/August, especially if you need to move to another city.

summeriffic

Postby summeriffic » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 pm

loblaw wrote:The next few weeks should be hot for waitlist movement since most schools are just now trying to fill seats after second deposits. I got two WL offers in the past two days (I was on four). Keep your head up for now, but I would move forward with other plans come late July/August, especially if you need to move to another city.

What WL's did you get off of?

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 pm

summeriffic wrote:
loblaw wrote:The next few weeks should be hot for waitlist movement since most schools are just now trying to fill seats after second deposits. I got two WL offers in the past two days (I was on four). Keep your head up for now, but I would move forward with other plans come late July/August, especially if you need to move to another city.

BU $ and Fordham pt. I am very likely to take the BU seat.

kristyk

Postby kristyk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Does anyone know if you're allowed to defer your acceptance for a year once you get off a WL? Or is the (obvious) point of aceepting someone off the WL (especially so late in the cycle) so that they can fill their seats for the current year?

Probably a silly question but thought I would lob it out there... thanks in advance, TLS. :)

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:41 pm

kristyk wrote:Does anyone know if you're allowed to defer your acceptance for a year once you get off a WL? Or is the (obvious) point of aceepting someone off the WL (especially so late in the cycle) so that they can fill their seats for the current year?

Probably a silly question but thought I would lob it out there... thanks in advance, TLS. :)

it depends on the school.

summeriffic

Postby summeriffic » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:47 pm

loblaw wrote:
summeriffic wrote:

BU $ and Fordham pt. I am very likely to take the BU seat.

Congrats those are both very good schools. How long do you have to decide for each of the schools? What do you think helped you get off those WL's? I'm also WL at Fordham and that's my top choice school.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:49 am

kristyk wrote:Does anyone know if you're allowed to defer your acceptance for a year once you get off a WL? Or is the (obvious) point of aceepting someone off the WL (especially so late in the cycle) so that they can fill their seats for the current year?

All of my WL schools said specifically that you are NOT allowed to do this. I would imagine that there aren't many schools that do, but if you're curious (and the FAQ doesn't say anything) you should check with the admissions office.

On the other hand, I have heard that some people currently on WLs have been able to turn that into deferred admission for next year (see the Michigan WL thread for some examples). So if this is something you're considering maybe you should reach out before they accept you?

kimkim

Postby kimkim » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:37 am

silly question. what happens if i break my lease? do i have to find another who would take over? do i have to suck it up and pay the rent till it ends? im freakin out about getting a place near one of my ins, but not sure what i would do if i get accepted to one of my WLs after setting everything up to attend another school... need some advise..

ttf1867

Postby ttf1867 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:17 am

kimkim wrote:silly question. what happens if i break my lease? do i have to find another who would take over? do i have to suck it up and pay the rent till it ends? im freakin out about getting a place near one of my ins, but not sure what i would do if i get accepted to one of my WLs after setting everything up to attend another school... need some advise..

If you have signed the lease then yes, you are responsible for it. Some leasing offices are more lenient than others and if you haven't moved in yet and they're reasonably sure they can find another lessee, you might be able to sweet-talk your way out of it. Otherwise, I'd start looking for potential subletters! I'd check out this forum for ____ Class of 2014 threads... lots of people looking for housing. And although most of them are private, you could also post on Facebook at the C/O '14 groups for various schools.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”