Waitlist Hell

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JayneDough

Re: Waitlist Hell

Postby JayneDough » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:39 pm

My first post & it's in waitlist hell!

WL:
Upenn
CLS
Uchicago
UC Berk

In:
BU

Limbo:
NYU
Ucla
USC (decision letter sent--snail mail--and I'm on the east coast :/)

I'm hoping for some movement but not overly optimistic!
Last edited by JayneDough on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:41 pm

lalala21 wrote:No such thing as a 'soft ding'..... Admissions decisions are a business decision for them. They do not really give a crap about your feelings.
Therefore people out there on waitlist should be happy with a school they are admitted to, but try like hell to get off a waitlist if it truly matters to you.
Sorry it was bugging me so I thought I would put that out there.

I like the way you think. I hope you're right. But in my case, when one of my top choices appears to already have a full class and there are 400 ppl on the waitlist, I become very pessimistic.

caveman2

Postby caveman2 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:30 pm

I've gotten 3 WLs so far out of 6 apps I sent out. WL at Michigan State, Villanova, and Miami. Still waiting to hear from Temple, Indiana Bloomington, and Stetson. Temple is my #1 choice, but I'm starting to fear bad news might be coming from them if I've been waitlisted at Michigan.....

I'm also wondering how people have the finances to apply to 20+ schools? No way you have a fee waiver for all of those and if you're really throwing a couple thousand dollars away on app fees for schools you don't even really care about, something is wrong with you. I can't tell you how many times I've read "I've been accepted at x and y and z, but I would never consider going there." THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU APPLYING? It doesn't make sense and it's people like you that are making hell for the rest of us who only apply to schools we would ACTUALLY want to attend. If you're that stupid, you shouldn't be going to law school to begin with. BAD KARMA!

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:33 pm

caveman2 wrote:I've gotten 3 WLs so far out of 6 apps I sent out. WL at Michigan State, Villanova, and Miami. Still waiting to hear from Temple, Indiana Bloomington, and Stetson. Temple is my #1 choice, but I'm starting to fear bad news might be coming from them if I've been waitlisted at Michigan.....

I'm also wondering how people have the finances to apply to 20+ schools? No way you have a fee waiver for all of those and if you're really throwing a couple thousand dollars away on app fees for schools you don't even really care about, something is wrong with you. I can't tell you how many times I've read "I've been accepted at x and y and z, but I would never consider going there." THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU APPLYING? It doesn't make sense and it's people like you that are making hell for the rest of us who only apply to schools we would ACTUALLY want to attend. If you're that stupid, you shouldn't be going to law school to begin with. BAD KARMA!

They use it for scholarship leverage. May be bad karma, but it's not stupid. Actually very smart, it works.

callen7828

Postby callen7828 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:34 pm

caveman2 wrote:I've gotten 3 WLs so far out of 6 apps I sent out. WL at Michigan State, Villanova, and Miami. Still waiting to hear from Temple, Indiana Bloomington, and Stetson. Temple is my #1 choice, but I'm starting to fear bad news might be coming from them if I've been waitlisted at Michigan.....

I applied to 32 schools and I only paid for around 3 of them. I simply wrote each school and asked them for a fee waiver and many were more than glad to offer it. I was accepted into 8 schools, waitlisted 2, 10 still waiting, and the rest declines.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:37 pm

callen7828 wrote:

I applied to 32 schools and I only paid for around 3 of them. I simply wrote each school and asked them for a fee waiver and many were more than glad to offer it. I was accepted into 8 schools, waitlisted 2, 10 still waiting, and the rest declines.

And yet another example of why it is often a smart move to apply to a lot of schools. I myself applied to 18. Only 3 accepts, 7 Waitlists and the rest still pending. The schools I'm not interested in anymore I withdrew from and opened up the spots already for others.

Postby 071816 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:16 pm

I got fee waivers for 11 0f the 19 schools I applied to. Some emailed to me, some requested.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:19 pm

I applied to approximately 15 schools. I'd say half were fee waivers, but the other half really added up since I'm not made of money here.

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:53 pm

8 waitlists as of this am

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm

WL
UVA
Duke

In
BU
GW (with $)
W&M (with $)

Waiting On
Columbia

uhgggggg. UVA was my dream school... now i really don't know what to do. :( :( :(

minky

Postby minky » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm not sure if someone has answered this already but can I remain on a wait list while putting down a deposit on another school? Deadline is fast approaching....

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:22 pm

minky wrote:I'm not sure if someone has answered this already but can I remain on a wait list while putting down a deposit on another school? Deadline is fast approaching....

Different schools have different policies

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Yes, unless accepting a scholarship that requires one to withdraw all other applications.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:02 pm

I was WL'ed by 9 schools last year and 1 school (so far) this year. I was ultimately rejected by 2 schools and accepted off the WL at only 1. I withdrew from the rest. It's not much fun to be an extreme reverse splitter who takes the LSAT again in December only to get the exact same score, essentially delaying most of my applications for no reason...

clr2277

Postby clr2277 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:38 pm

gatorlion wrote:I was WL'ed by 9 schools last year and 1 school (so far) this year. I was ultimately rejected by 2 schools and accepted off the WL at only 1. I withdrew from the rest. It's not much fun to be an extreme reverse splitter who takes the LSAT again in December only to get the exact same score, essentially delaying most of my applications for no reason...

I'm in a very similar situation. I'm also an extreme reverse splitter and re-took only to gain 1 point. I sent out my applications in October hoping that it would help me, but it only lead to getting WL'ed in December/January. I got WL'ed by 8 schools, including my 1st and 2nd choices, so I'm holding out hoping to get off them (already sent LOCIs and updated transcripts). I have been considering re-taking and trying again next cycle, but I think I'm just going to settle for my 3rd choice so I don't waste a year just to get the same results again.

Good luck to everyone, I hope we all can get out of this WL Hell!

zla2014

Postby zla2014 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:53 pm

I'm a reverse splitter too. Keep your head up guys. I've been waitlisted at 8 schools ranging from T20s-TTT and I got into a T20 school right off the bat! Ride out those waitlists and maybe you'll get lucky like I did!

richis7

Postby richis7 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Waitlisted:
Wake Forest
Tennessee
William & Mary

Accepted:
Stetson
Campbell $$$

Still Waiting:
UNC (Probably wait list)

Right now it is looking like it will be Campbell for me, and I'm fine with that.

Best of luck to everyone else!

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Dinged:
Berkeley

Waitlisted:
Boston University
Boston College
University of Michigan
Duke

Accepted:
U Arizona
Arizona State($$)
Willamette($$$)
U of Oregon($)
Lewis & Clark($$$)

Waiting on:
Cornell (lalalalalala)
(which is most likely a ding, lol. )

neptunestar

Postby neptunestar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 pm

I know this prob varies by school but when is the earliest that some schools start reaching out to the WL?

Assuming a April 15th deposit deadline, is next too week too early to start hoping to hear?

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:33 pm

neptunestar wrote:I know this prob varies by school but when is the earliest that some schools start reaching out to the WL?

Assuming a April 15th deposit deadline, is next too week too early to start hoping to hear?

Really depends on the school. I've been waitlisted at 7 schools and one of the schools already started accepting people this past week. Some schools clearly informed me that they will not even look at the waitlists until June. Try calling each school so you can be better prepared with your LOCIs.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:48 pm

I sent my first shipment of chocolate to a school I'm wait-listed at today.

Nothing to lose.

Roxybsr

Postby Roxybsr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Thank you for this thread!
I applied to seven schools (probably should have applied to two more that I was thinking about but didn't)
And so far I have
3-WL
1-Accepted
1- Denied
2- Have not heard a word.
Patience is something that I don't have and I'm going crazy!
Two of my WL are my top school picks.
It sucks to know that you are almost good but not good enough possibly yet, you know?
I have been checking my status multiple times every day!

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:06 pm

In:
Minnesota
UF
Miami
BU - Deposited at, however I'll probably go to Cornell if I manage to get in off the list
W&M
Alabama

WL:
UIUC
Cornell
Cardozo
GWU

Dinged:
UVA
Emory

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Accepted: 20
Waitlist: 2, but only riding Chicago.
Hold: 1, Harvard
Reject: 1, Yale

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:08 pm

neonx wrote:Accepted: 20
Waitlist: 2, but only riding Chicago.
Hold: 1, Harvard
Reject: 1, Yale

You won the cycle Neon... when are you going to reveal your powers if you haven't already?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”