Waitlist Hell Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bigjinjapan

Bronze

Waitlist Hell

Post by bigjinjapan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Anybody else getting way too many WL offers? I'm at 6 so far, compared to 2 accepts and 1 rejection. How do you go about sorting through all this 'We like you, but not enough' crap?

red_alertz

Bronze

Re: Waitlist Hell

Post by red_alertz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:40 am

quit complaining, i am on 3 WL, got five rejections, and no acceptance, heh?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:09 am

pwned

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:48 am

Dude I gotta say I feel for you. I frankly believe waitlists are cop outs. How will they say you're qualified but not as qualified so we'll review you later and if our admits decline their acceptance we'll take you. Straight bullshit, but then again I am bitter that I have been waitlisted and haven't heard a word from schools after being complete for a while, best of luck man.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:53 am

Getting wait listed does suck - its got the 'we don't really want you' sting of a rejection, but without the certainty. And you don't really feel the hope of that uncertainty, because everyone knows the odds off getting picked off the wait list are slim. I know, I was on 5 of them last cycle.

That said, don't give up hope. I spend over 5 months (from mid January to late June, and that was after having applied before Thanksgiving) on the wait list of my current school before getting the last minute admit. It's been totally worth it, and I'm glad I stuck at it, sent LOCIs, pulling good grades my spring semester, etc. If you really want to go, let them know. In the meantime, make contingency plans, whether that's going somewhere else or taking a year off to retake/reapply. But just know a wait list isn't the end of the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:04 pm

I am in four waitlists (well 3 wl and 1 held) with no good news yet. From the schools I have not heard, I do not expect good news because they are taking so long... so hoping to get off waitlists. My waitlists range from weak consider to strong consider on LSP. I thought maybe something was wrong with my apps, but the WLs at schools expecting rejection gave me hope.

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm in waitlist hell too..on 3 WL. It doesn't seem like much, but two of them are my top two schools. That makes it hurt.

I can't decide if I think WL is the least desirable outcome.

On one side, it doesn't allow you to move on and choose another school. Staying on a WL requires a deposit at a backup school or the backup plan of waiting a year. It delays your decision.

On the other side, a WL feels a little better on the ego, and there's a slight glimmer of hope.

sold123

New

Post by sold123 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:12 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:I'm in waitlist hell too..on 3 WL. It doesn't seem like much, but two of them are my top two schools. That makes it hurt.

I can't decide if I think WL is the least desirable outcome.

On one side, it doesn't allow you to move on and choose another school. Staying on a WL requires a deposit at a backup school or the backup plan of waiting a year. It delays your decision.

On the other side, a WL feels a little better on the ego, and there's a slight glimmer of hope.
I'm on three WL's and one hold. Don't see how you can think a WL is the least desirable outcome or "Hell". At the very least it means you still have a chance and, in my mind, continues to be preferable to an outright rejection. Not knowing is not the easiest thing to deal with, but it is important to place it in perspective.

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 pm

3 waitlists, 3 rejections and no acceptances. very big BLOW to the EGO!!! everyday is a battle for me to try harder and prove to the waitlist schools that Im worth a chance.

Also worth noting that one of the schools I got rejected from I contacted the director of admissions whom I emailed two years ago as a thank you email for coming to the law school forum and asked for a re-evaluation. She said okay and will re-evaluate my application for the part time program in may. I know its a long shot but it goes to prove that you just to be persistent and show your dedication to the schools you really want to go to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Is anybody else livid at the amount of waitlists they received. Man they suck and are total blow to ones ego....

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Not sure if livid is the right word. It's just...annoying, especially when you feel like you should be a pretty solid 'in' at some of these schools. Getting WLed at a reach is pretty good, but it's awfully hard to try to make plans when you're waiting to hear through the summer, and the prospect of submitting and possibly losing several hundred dollars in deposit money in the meantime isn't especially appealing.

Some might argue it's a good problem to have and better than the alternative, but especially with the glacial pace a lot admissions offices seem to be moving this year it's pretty frustrating nonetheless.

longhornlaw

Bronze

Post by longhornlaw » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:27 pm

The WL option seems like a racket by schools to pull in some extra hundreds of dollars in seat deposits from applicants that they are fairly certain won't be accepted.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm on 5, but I only really care about getting off of 2 of them. For now, I'm treating them like rejections and not entertaining optimistic thoughts about actually attending these schools. After the first seat deposit, I'll submit my LOCIs and then go back to not thinking about these schools unless I get news this summer. Haven't gotten any rejections yet, though.
Last edited by crit_racer on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

planQ

Bronze

Post by planQ » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:56 pm

3 WL, 3 Rejections, 3 acceptances. Still waiting on 8. I would really like to go to some of the waitlist schools but don't know how all the uncertainty is going to do to my life, lol.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:28 am

Although I understand that being waitlited at a top school is better then a rejection it still hurts when the letters state that you are qualified however there were too many qualified individuals and not enough seats...etc, etc. Seems like a yes or no answer is better then keeping our hopes up, you know?

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:48 am

I don't mind waitlists, but get rid of this stupid "we don't rank the waitlist" bullshit and tell me where I'm at. If I'm on page 2, just tell me so I can get on with my life and stop writing love letters to the adcomm.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:54 am

2 waitlists, 4 acceptances, only 1 of which is to a school I would actually attend. Both waitlists are at "safety schools" I would never attend. The worst part is the schools I would attend who have stuck me on the de facto waiting list. I'm supposed to hear...when?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:31 am

fragged wrote:I don't mind waitlists, but get rid of this stupid "we don't rank the waitlist" bullshit and tell me where I'm at. If I'm on page 2, just tell me so I can get on with my life and stop writing love letters to the adcomm.

This. I've basically accepted that Fordham rejected me, but when you have the dean of my school urging me to push the WL and my family asking me 'what if you get in?', it raises some hope. I knew it was a reach and was expecting a rejection.... yea I know a WL > rejection, but I don't like limbo - some sort of notification (re: page 2) would be nice, just for peace of mind.

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:58 am

Woods, Elle wrote:
fragged wrote:I don't mind waitlists, but get rid of this stupid "we don't rank the waitlist" bullshit and tell me where I'm at. If I'm on page 2, just tell me so I can get on with my life and stop writing love letters to the adcomm.
This. I've basically accepted that Fordham rejected me, but when you have the dean of my school urging me to push the WL and my family asking me 'what if you get in?', it raises some hope. I knew it was a reach and was expecting a rejection.... yea I know a WL > rejection, but I don't like limbo - some sort of notification (re: page 2) would be nice, just for peace of mind.
On the other hand, it kind of sucks when schools tell you this--a la GULC with their 'You should know you're not on our special waitlist.' You can almost feel them pushing for your withdrawal. But even if you do get put on the 'special' waitlist (Cardozo informed me I was on their 'hold' list, for example) it's like winning a dollar in the lottery: the prize itself is kind of an insult.

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:18 pm

I guess... but at least with the hold you get the impression that if you send in extra material, it could help - you have a shot.

Me? I could be #1000 on their WL and send in some extra things (transcript, LOCI) and it would be a wasted effort...I'd like to know if they'd consider me again or if they just didn't want to send out rejections so early (I was WLed in December).

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Woods, Elle wrote:I guess... but at least with the hold you get the impression that if you send in extra material, it could help - you have a shot.

Me? I could be #1000 on their WL and send in some extra things (transcript, LOCI) and it would be a wasted effort...I'd like to know if they'd consider me again or if they just didn't want to send out rejections so early (I was WLed in December).
Ultimately the effort of sending in a few extra things is pretty minimal, and the potential payoff is pretty huge. You could look at it as a chance to really show your determination. We've all heard stories about people who call admissions every day until they get accepted. While I'm not sure this is a recommendable course of action, it does exemplify the kind of attitude that will recommend you to the school if you're really dedicated to going.

If you were WLed early it may indicate that you were a weak consider, but it does show that they're still willing to consider you, and a NY school in the middle of the T1 pack like Fordham (who likely gets a lot 'safety' apps from people who will be accepted elsewhere) may be receptive to a demonstrably dedicated applicant who may be a little weak in the numbers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawandi

Bronze

Post by lawandi » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01 pm

On 8 waitlists. Can anyone beat that?

PuckCU06

New

Post by PuckCU06 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 am

thanks for starting this... i feel a lot less alone.

bnaidu

New

Post by bnaidu » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:06 am

Just got my first WL today...which was refreshing after 4 rejections and no acceptances..boo

dadamafia

New

Post by dadamafia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 am

I have so far received 1 rejection, 2 holds, and 1 WL. The single WL I have received so far is from my 1st choice so I am pretty content with the idea of attempting to sell my soul to them even if I only have a slim chance of acceptance. It's an uncomfortable situation but I'm trying to do what I can to get a positive outcome.
PuckCU06 wrote:thanks for starting this... i feel a lot less alone.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”