Waitlist Hell Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wiseguy33

Bronze

Re: Waitlist Hell

Post by wiseguy33 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:18 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:Or if you really want to play the scholly negotiation game. Pit Vandy and GW against each other. Use best packages to ask for more money at GULC and Cornell. And so on and so forth.
Whatever floats your boat I guess. People turn down Harvard for Tufts, after all. If I got into Chicago I'd put down my deposit, and wipe my ass with the rest of my acceptances and mail them back.
You and me both, buddy. That said, I admit I have a few offers I still haven't declined, mostly out of laziness. :roll:

richis7

New

Post by richis7 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 am

in wl hell

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:46 am

I'm up to 8 now, 3 of which I really care about.

I'm going to withdraw from the other 5 as well as the schools that accepted me that I won't matriculate to. Hopefully that will give me some good WL karma.

ffffffff

New

Post by ffffffff » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:33 pm

zla2014 wrote:
ffffffff wrote:2 pending
2 rejected
5 waitlist

sup
at Hastings? Really? got a criminal background goin on there? lol
Hah, I wish. At least then I'd have an explanation. I guess I am just really, really boring.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Checking in - T-20 admit, higher but non top 10 WL.

I created a separate thread for the below discussion, but I'm realizing that its probably most appropriate in this thread:

Read in the WSJ http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 31986.html (via ATL) that applications are down 11% this year. Any theories on how this might effect movement on waitlists in general? I'm pretty sure that last year there were a record number of applications, so it's down 11% from a record, but still.

Could it be possible that less applications means less people to fill spots, and so in general schools will pull more people off the waitlist?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:49 pm

ihp12 wrote:Checking in - T-20 admit, higher but non top 10 WL.

I created a separate thread for the below discussion, but I'm realizing that its probably most appropriate in this thread:

Read in the WSJ http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 31986.html (via ATL) that applications are down 11% this year. Any theories on how this might effect movement on waitlists in general? I'm pretty sure that last year there were a record number of applications, so it's down 11% from a record, but still.

Could it be possible that less applications means less people to fill spots, and so in general schools will pull more people off the waitlist?
I sure hope so. I also heard about the decrease in apps this year. However, I heard the quality of the apps are better, which makes sense. So, who knows if that will affect how many ppl they take off too.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:08 pm

zla2014 wrote:
I sure hope so. I also heard about the decrease in apps this year. However, I heard the quality of the apps are better, which makes sense. So, who knows if that will affect how many ppl they take off too.
That seems plausible. Apps are down but the non-apps could be those who would be looking at six figure debt from a 4th tier, and not those with a realistic chance at a tier one or better.

Where did you hear this?

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:18 pm

ihp12 wrote:
zla2014 wrote:
That seems plausible. Apps are down but the non-apps could be those who would be looking at six figure debt from a 4th tier, and not those with a realistic chance at a tier one or better.

Where did you hear this?
I don't remember which ones, but several TLS threads! I've also seen some articles on it, can't recall the sources, but I've been reading about the decrease in apps/higher quality of apps. for several months now.

adevotchka

Bronze

Post by adevotchka » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 pm

zla2014 wrote:
ihp12 wrote:
zla2014 wrote:

Where did you hear this?
I don't remember which ones, but several TLS threads! I've also seen some articles on it, can't recall the sources, but I've been reading about the decrease in apps/higher quality of apps. for several months now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... orsPicks_2

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lateblooming

New

Post by lateblooming » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Looking at Indiana or Boston with lots of scholarship, but would do unspeakable things to get off the Michigan WL. Unspeakable.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:21 pm

adevotchka wrote:
zla2014 wrote:
ihp12 wrote:
zla2014 wrote:

Where did you hear this?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... orsPicks_2
"The froth in the applicant pool—those who were just going to law school because they didn't know what else to do and everyone told them it was a safe bet—is pretty well gone," he said.

well there ya go! lol

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 pm

LOL, i guess I should read the article I posted a little better. :lol:

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:32 pm

ihp12 wrote:LOL, i guess I should read the article I posted a little better. :lol:
Oh, I thought you did and you were just showing me. Well for both of our sakes, I do hope there is waitlist movement for both of us.. You are a T20 admit, I am a T20 waitlist. So, if ppl like you get off WLs, ppl like me do too. We both win! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adevotchka

Bronze

Post by adevotchka » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Reading fail. I didn't even see that it was posted before! Actually, I'm betting the "froth" isn't the type that would really end up at TTT at sticker. I'm sure a lot people deciding to pass right now are fairly intelligent people who are risk-averse and well-informed about the market. I know a lot of people from my undergrad who are biting at the chomp to go Florida Coastal and NESL this fall at sticker...

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:39 pm

adevotchka wrote:Reading fail. I didn't even see that it was posted before! Actually, I'm betting the "froth" isn't the type that would really end up at TTT at sticker. I'm sure a lot people deciding to pass right now are fairly intelligent people who are risk-averse and well-informed about the market. I know a lot of people from my undergrad who are biting at the chomp to go Florida Coastal and NESL this fall at sticker...
That makes it EVEN BETTER for ppl like us! Keep out well informed applicants, welcome TTT applicants!

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:42 pm

zla2014 wrote:
ihp12 wrote:LOL, i guess I should read the article I posted a little better. :lol:
Oh, I thought you did and you were just showing me. Well for both of our sakes, I do hope there is waitlist movement for both of us.. You are a T20 admit, I am a T20 waitlist. So, if ppl like you get off WLs, ppl like me do too. We both win! :)
FWIW, I have withdrawn from everywhere except my t-20 admit, so that others have a shot. I know that doesn't help you personally, but it lets every know what a great person I am :mrgreen: jk

I promise that if I get off the WL I'm sitting on, I will withdraw the same day from my T-20.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:47 pm

ihp12 wrote:
zla2014 wrote:
FWIW, I have withdrawn from everywhere except my t-20 admit, so that others have a shot. I know that doesn't help you personally, but it lets every know what a great person I am :mrgreen: jk

I promise that if I get off the WL I'm sitting on, I will withdraw the same day from my T-20.
What schools have you withdrawn from if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you're willing, I'll PM you what schools I'm waitlisted at.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:29 pm

How often do people actually get off waitlists?

I understand that things vary from school to school- but is it generally considered a soft ding?

morganrmco14

New

Post by morganrmco14 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Is their a difference between hold, waitlist, alternate?

noncontributingzero

New

Post by noncontributingzero » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:11 pm

minnbills wrote:How often do people actually get off waitlists?

I understand that things vary from school to school- but is it generally considered a soft ding?
From my understanding, this is very school and cycle specific. I think your best bet is to look for a waitlist thread for the school and see how they have used it in the past.

I.e. at some schools, it is definitely a soft ding. At others, they actively use their waitlist each year.

Best of luck to you!

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:04 pm

I think the 'how many people get off the WL question' is the most pressing and difficult to answer question out there right now (well, other than 'will I be accepted,' perhaps). From what I've read and heard, it varies dramatically by school and by year and doesn't follow any sort of predictable pattern. I think, though, that it's a mistake to think of it as a 'soft ding.' If they were sure they didn't want you they'd put you in the reject pile.

It's best just to accept that it is what it is: one of 3 possible outcomes when you submitted your application. And you've got two options: remain on the list or withdraw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ffffffff

New

Post by ffffffff » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:30 am

Sooooooo I guess I'll just ride my 5 wls out. (I say that like I have another choice). I've got two more schools pending that I considered autodenies (though considering my record so far this cycle it would be much more poetic to get waitlisted by them too). I'm pretty sure the only possible outcomes left for my cycle are a hail mary pass from a waitlist or a different career.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:33 am

bigjinjapan wrote:From what I've read and heard, it varies dramatically by school and by year and doesn't follow any sort of predictable pattern. I think, though, that it's a mistake to think of it as a 'soft ding.' If they were sure they didn't want you they'd put you in the reject pile.
This is true. I spoke face-to-face with a woman in charge of admissions at Temple University. She told me that Temple has a set number of seats that they wish to fill. Obviously, Temple anticipates some of their admits will decline, so they admit more students than this number represents. Thus, for people like me on the waiting list, it really depends how many people opt out of their admission. I believe Temple University's magic number was 300; the WL at Temple will only be considered once there is <300 admitted applicants. Subsequently, admits off of the waitlist often do not occur until after deposit deadlines.

Last YR, Temple ended their admissions cycle with about 20 more students than they wished to have in their entering class (they had somewhere around 320 students), so Temple didn't take anyone off of the waitlist. She indicated that in the year prior, they had <300 after accepted students opted out, thus accepting several students off of the waitlist.

Most people know this about the waitlist, but I thought I'd provide direct evidence that I received for those uncertain with how the waitlist works. It's a numbers game.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 am

For those who are waiting on Temple, I just withdrew my acceptance. I also withdrew from Minnesota, Penn State, Villanova and Emory. I hope one of you gets my seat - you can thank me by sending good karma my way, since I'm on the wait lists for GWU and BU and am dying to get off them.

My biggest nightmare is that GWU is over-enrolled or will only choose GPA-strong people off the wait lists. My second biggest nightmare is that I won't hear back from any of my wait lists till June.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:32 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:I think the 'how many people get off the WL question' is the most pressing and difficult to answer question out there right now (well, other than 'will I be accepted,' perhaps). From what I've read and heard, it varies dramatically by school and by year and doesn't follow any sort of predictable pattern. I think, though, that it's a mistake to think of it as a 'soft ding.' If they were sure they didn't want you they'd put you in the reject pile.

It's best just to accept that it is what it is: one of 3 possible outcomes when you submitted your application. And you've got two options: remain on the list or withdraw.
I went to the West Coast Consortium a couple of weeks ago and talked to about 9 different schools. Every time I mentioned waitlist they all explained to me how at this point there's no way to tell. It's like a "trickle-down" effect, people get in at the T14 schools and withdraw from the T30, T30 waitlists get filled so they withdraw from the TT schools, etc. So hopefully we will start seeing some considerable waitlist movement around early May, after most schools require their seat deposits!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”