Status Checker Addiction Cure (Hopefully)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Re: Status Checker Addiction Cure (Hopefully)

Postby typ3 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:45 pm

This should go in the content competition and be stickied. However, you should really finish out all the schools when you get time so it can be used as a universal app. Also, wouldn't be too bad to have it available as an iphone app.. although that would take a lot more work.

Edit: Iowa uses a status checker I'll PM the link.

shatra

Postby shatra » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:50 pm

typ3 wrote:This should go in the content competition and be stickied. However, you should really finish out all the schools when you get time so it can be used as a universal app. Also, wouldn't be too bad to have it available as an iphone app.. although that would take a lot more work.

Speaking of adding all the schools, does everyone think I should add the tier 3 and 4 schools as well? I just found the link to them under the table on TLS.

Unfortunately it would be very hard to get it working on an iPhone because most of it is written in Python, which of course I can't use on an iPhone. Also, I can't develop for iPhone with the SDK I use, Apple requires you to have a Mac to do it. I plan on making some sort of App for Android, but I doubt I'll get a chance to do it for iPhone unless someone donates a Mac for me to use. :P

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:59 pm

shatra wrote:
typ3 wrote:This should go in the content competition and be stickied. However, you should really finish out all the schools when you get time so it can be used as a universal app. Also, wouldn't be too bad to have it available as an iphone app.. although that would take a lot more work.

Speaking of adding all the schools, does everyone think I should add the tier 3 and 4 schools as well? I just found the link to them under the table on TLS.

Unfortunately it would be very hard to get it working on an iPhone because most of it is written in Python, which of course I can't use on an iPhone. Also, I can't develop for iPhone with the SDK I use, Apple requires you to have a Mac to do it. I plan on making some sort of App for Android, but I doubt I'll get a chance to do it for iPhone unless someone donates a Mac for me to use. :P

Oooh what about a Blackberry app??? :D

neonx

Postby neonx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Fantastic idea!

neonx

Postby neonx » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:14 pm

UCLA
U Texas-Austin
Boston U
Emory U
Indiana U - Bloomington

^^ No LSAC trackers. Texas has its own status checker though.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:25 pm

wow! you are awesome.. you could make good $$ off of this if you want :). This should be stickied.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:53 pm

I can't get it to work on my Macbook. looks useful though.

Flett

Postby Flett » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Brilliant. Too bad this cycle is starting to wind down, but next year's applicants are in for a real treat (LSAC willing)!

shatra

Postby shatra » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Flett wrote:Brilliant. Too bad this cycle is starting to wind down, but next year's applicants are in for a real treat (LSAC willing)!

I know, I wish I'd gotten it done sooner! While I was making it I was disappointed every time I got a decision, because that brought me closer and closer to the time when it wouldn't do me any good anymore. I was beginning to be afraid I'd have nothing to track by the time I got it done.

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Great application....but it's not working for me! :(

When I go to the 2nd screen, and put in my log in, and click "save", the save button doesn't seem to work. When I click it, nothing happens. Same thing when I go to the 3rd screen ("Status")....I'm not sure if this is a problem with my download, or just my computer. I am using my laptop, which has Windows 7

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Gotta save on the first page too if you didn't

shatra

Postby shatra » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:48 pm

philswfc2008 wrote:Great application....but it's not working for me! :(

When I go to the 2nd screen, and put in my log in, and click "save", the save button doesn't seem to work. When I click it, nothing happens. Same thing when I go to the 3rd screen ("Status")....I'm not sure if this is a problem with my download, or just my computer. I am using my laptop, which has Windows 7

PM'd. We'll get it working, don't be sad!

barklm

Postby barklm » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:09 pm

This is brilliant! Thanks for making this available!

As an aside, here is the link to Columbia's status checker:
https://www-app.law.columbia.edu/webpor ... heckstatus

And UC Davis:
http://www.law.ucdavis.edu/statuscheck/ ... index.aspx

iluvkj

Postby iluvkj » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Beautiful! Seems to work on my Macbook :)

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:43 pm

barklm wrote:This is brilliant! Thanks for making this available!

As an aside, here is the link to Columbia's status checker:
https://www-app.law.columbia.edu/webpor ... heckstatus

And UC Davis:
http://www.law.ucdavis.edu/statuscheck/ ... index.aspx

These do not use the LSAC status tracker, and it makes implementing each one a lot more time consuming.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:37 pm

This is Pure Winning. Are you sure you don't have tiger blood? Perhaps you are a vatican assassin ninja warlock?

shatra

Postby shatra » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:44 pm

harrijust86 wrote:This is Pure Winning. Are you sure you don't have tiger blood? Perhaps you are a vatican assassin ninja warlock?

Shhhh, no one can know.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shatra

Postby shatra » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:59 am

I've updated the application to include more schools, you can see the full list here - --LinkRemoved--.

If you got a dialog tonight asking you to update because you happened to have the program running when I accidentally packaged it to the real version instead of the version I use for testing, I apologize. I found that although technically the Update Manager that the kit I use to make the program works, it acts really weird, which if you tried to use it you probably already know. It installs on top of itself while it's running and then crashes the old version, and then when you reopen it, it installs itself again. I went ahead and disabled it because it's acting so ridiculous, but it may already have asked some of you to update. As I said, technically it works so you should be fine, but I'd rather not use it when it's possible it might cause your computer to crash!

If you're happy with the schools in the original version there's really no need to update, but if you want more then you should uninstall the old version and reinstall the new version. I know for sure that on Windows it saves your data, and that the reinstall goes really fast because everything it needs was already downloaded the first time you installed. However, can someone with a Mac confirm that it works the same way? I'm sorry to make you manually reinstall, but considering how unstable the Update Manager seems to be it's probably the safest way to do it.

The only other real change is that I added a link next to where you enter your email address and phone number so that you can send yourself a test email and text message just to make sure it's working. And now it's 5AM, so I'm off to bed, but I'll check in when I wake up to make sure mass pandemonium hasn't ensued.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:42 pm

shatra wrote:I've updated the application to include more schools, you can see the full list here - --LinkRemoved--.

If you got a dialog tonight asking you to update because you happened to have the program running when I accidentally packaged it to the real version instead of the version I use for testing, I apologize. I found that although technically the Update Manager that the kit I use to make the program works, it acts really weird, which if you tried to use it you probably already know. It installs on top of itself while it's running and then crashes the old version, and then when you reopen it, it installs itself again. I went ahead and disabled it because it's acting so ridiculous, but it may already have asked some of you to update. As I said, technically it works so you should be fine, but I'd rather not use it when it's possible it might cause your computer to crash!

If you're happy with the schools in the original version there's really no need to update, but if you want more then you should uninstall the old version and reinstall the new version. I know for sure that on Windows it saves your data, and that the reinstall goes really fast because everything it needs was already downloaded the first time you installed. However, can someone with a Mac confirm that it works the same way? I'm sorry to make you manually reinstall, but considering how unstable the Update Manager seems to be it's probably the safest way to do it.

The only other real change is that I added a link next to where you enter your email address and phone number so that you can send yourself a test email and text message just to make sure it's working. And now it's 5AM, so I'm off to bed, but I'll check in when I wake up to make sure mass pandemonium hasn't ensued.

I' had it running last night and pandemonium did indeed ensue. I think i was just excited to round off the list of schools. I Uninstalled and then started over fresh and it works like a champ. And yes, it does remember your info so that was nice. Thanks again, This is an amazing tool!

fdr123

Postby fdr123 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:56 pm

so it needs to be running on your comp if you want it to email pr text you with updates??

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:57 pm

for everyone ITT: after you cure your status checker addiction (if it ever happens) you'll probably develop a TLS addiction that will be even worse

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:13 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:for everyone ITT: after you cure your status checker addiction (if it ever happens) you'll probably develop a TLS addiction that will be even worse

I have both. Gotta cure one thing at a time though, right?

ocbrody

Postby ocbrody » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Can't seem to get it to save login info on step 2 on a Mac. Tried reinstalling/exiting out multiple times with no luck...any ideas?

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:11 pm

ocbrody wrote:Can't seem to get it to save login info on step 2 on a Mac. Tried reinstalling/exiting out multiple times with no luck...any ideas?

As previously mentioned you must first save step 1. If this isnt the solution then ive got nothing for ya. (PC user with no problems thus far)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”