Status Checker Addiction Cure (Hopefully)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lsatcrazy

Re: Status Checker Addiction Cure (Hopefully)

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Anyone know how to apply the manual updater on a mac? (there is no Program Files folder like in windows...)

shatra

Postby shatra » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:27 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Anyone know how to apply the manual updater on a mac? (there is no Program Files folder like in windows...)

I'm going to update it here in a few minutes, so it should prompt you to automatically update rather than having to worry about doing it manually.

mijenks

Postby mijenks » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:45 pm

shatra wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Anyone know how to apply the manual updater on a mac? (there is no Program Files folder like in windows...)

I'm going to update it here in a few minutes, so it should prompt you to automatically update rather than having to worry about doing it manually.

How about update to Android client? Offer to assist still stands...

shatra

Postby shatra » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:52 pm

mijenks wrote:
shatra wrote:

How about update to Android client? Offer to assist still stands...

I'll update the database for that one today as well, as long as updating an app on the Android Market occurs the way I think it does. As for modifying it to view other sections of the application, I'll make it open source as soon as I get the chance, with my first final and others coming up I haven't had much time.

mijenks

Postby mijenks » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Brilliant.

FYI here are two links for adding in case no one has sent them to you yet.

BU: https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/AppStatIdMe.aspx?guid=mbKNF84bC/s=
Notre Dame: https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/AppStatIdMe.aspx?guid=E92eykVF0O8%3D

shatra

Postby shatra » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

So I tried to use the updater from last year to update the app, that's definitely not working. If it prompts you to update, just close it, it won't actually do anything. *sigh* I'll try to find another way to do it.

Edit: If you told it to update and it messes it up or it keeps trying to update itself every time it starts, you might want to reinstall, the new version is on the download page. It should save all your info. Sorry guys. :(

Edit2: Even uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't fix it, my mind is blown. I'm in Civ Pro right now, but I promise I'll fix it tonight.

Edit3: So I've been working on this since about 2pm this afternoon and no luck. The update worked fine on two of my computers and went crazy on the other (the 64-bit one), so I'm sure that means it messed some other people up, too. You'd think in the year since I used the Titanium Update Manager they would have fixed these problems, but apparently not. When I get the chance I'll provide the update link to the new version on the website so you can reinstall to update, but even that is causing problems right now. For anyone who has updated and has the problem where it keeps trying to update itself but never actually does, there are two files you'll have to delete to get it to stop, I'll post where those are located. I've spent 9 hours on this today that I need to be spending on my memo and preparing for finals, so I'm going to have to take a sabbatical until after finals. I'll try and help with isolated problems still, but adding any more schools or fixing any more problems is going to have to wait until after finals, hopefully most of the ones that weren't included already got added in this update. :(

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:14 pm

shatra wrote:So I tried to use the updater from last year to update the app, that's definitely not working. If it prompts you to update, just close it, it won't actually do anything. *sigh* I'll try to find another way to do it.

Edit: If you told it to update and it messes it up or it keeps trying to update itself every time it starts, you might want to reinstall, the new version is on the download page. It should save all your info. Sorry guys. :(

Edit2: Even uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't fix it, my mind is blown. I'm in Civ Pro right now, but I promise I'll fix it tonight.

Edit3: So I've been working on this since about 2pm this afternoon and no luck. The update worked fine on two of my computers and went crazy on the other (the 64-bit one), so I'm sure that means it messed some other people up, too. You'd think in the year since I used the Titanium Update Manager they would have fixed these problems, but apparently not. When I get the chance I'll provide the update link to the new version on the website so you can reinstall to update, but even that is causing problems right now. For anyone who has updated and has the problem where it keeps trying to update itself but never actually does, there are two files you'll have to delete to get it to stop, I'll post where those are located. I've spent 9 hours on this today that I need to be spending on my memo and preparing for finals, so I'm going to have to take a sabbatical until after finals. I'll try and help with isolated problems still, but adding any more schools or fixing any more problems is going to have to wait until after finals, hopefully most of the ones that weren't included already got added in this update. :(

Sorry it's causing you so much trouble. :? I'm glad I read this just now so that I was able to ignore the update message. School is more important than fixing this, though. You have already done such great work!

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:22 pm

just rec'd my first acceptance via your splendid little program : ) thanks

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi there. This is a great idea! I tried to download it (on a mac). It downloads a file called Status Check.msi (and yes, I clicked the mac version) but when I try to open it, it says "Safari can’t open the file “Status Check.msi” because no available application can open it." Anyone else had this problem? I know you said before you weren't a mac person, so no worries if you have no idea!

shatra

Postby shatra » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:42 pm

snehpets wrote:Hi there. This is a great idea! I tried to download it (on a mac). It downloads a file called Status Check.msi (and yes, I clicked the mac version) but when I try to open it, it says "Safari can’t open the file “Status Check.msi” because no available application can open it." Anyone else had this problem? I know you said before you weren't a mac person, so no worries if you have no idea!

Woops, that's me. :oops: I accidentally changed the Mac link to the Windows version. It's fixed now. Mac version should have a .dmg extension.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Works perfectly now, thanks!! :)

shatra

Postby shatra » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Samara wrote:Sorry it's causing you so much trouble. :? I'm glad I read this just now so that I was able to ignore the update message. School is more important than fixing this, though. You have already done such great work!

Thanks for being understanding. :)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Good luck on your finals btw!! :mrgreen:

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Hey, I think your George Mason checker is broken.

shatra

Postby shatra » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:47 pm

JoeMo wrote:Hey, I think your George Mason checker is broken.

It definitely is. They've modified the basic LSAC app in ways I didn't think schools did or could, so it's going to require some extra coding to get it to work. It's on my winter break to-do list.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Does the GULC and Cornell status not work for anyone else?

shatra

Postby shatra » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:42 pm

EMZE wrote:Does the GULC and Cornell status not work for anyone else?

GULC works in v2.1 but not 2.0, they've changed their link since last year. Cornell I have no idea about, if no one else has gotten it to work I'll check to make sure the link is still good.

Edit: If you're using the Android app, I tried to update that yesterday, too, but it doesn't seem to actually be prompting people to update, so I'm going to have to check it to see if I've uploaded it incorrectly.

srrrrh

Postby srrrrh » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:52 pm

cornell is working for me

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:00 pm

shatra wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Hey, I think your George Mason checker is broken.

It definitely is. They've modified the basic LSAC app in ways I didn't think schools did or could, so it's going to require some extra coding to get it to work. It's on my winter break to-do list.

ahhh... gotcha. Thanks for the quick response and definitely thank you for this awesome app.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:02 am

yeah, weird.. just downloaded 2.1 and GULC and cornell dont work..

Cornelius

Postby Cornelius » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Great app. Looking forward to Boston U and IUB getting added to the android app - those are the only schools I applied to not currently available. Otherwise, works great.

Only problem I've seen is the status date isn't getting displayed for UIUC.

shatra

Postby shatra » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:39 am

Hey guys, looks like when I uploaded the update to the Android app I forgot to increment the version number, so it just ignored it. I've been testing out the update and I can't understand why this would happen because all I did was update the schools list, but I swear it's acting a little odd. I can't really test it since I don't have apps this year, so I was hoping some of you might be able to do it. If you go to this link --LinkRemoved--, you should be able to download and install the update. If Boston University shows up in your school list, it's at least updated the database. It seems like when I refresh a lot of schools are staying blank; no error, just blank, which I didn't think it was doing before. Thanks!

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:19 am

I got errors with cornell, gulc, nyu and gwu

shatra

Postby shatra » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:12 am

EMZE wrote:I got errors with cornell, gulc, nyu and gwu

And they were working fine before the update?

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:35 am

Well, no, but I was that guy with the problems with the versions. It says connection error for all.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”