Submitting Additional Documents Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
columbia86

Bronze

Submitting Additional Documents

Post by columbia86 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:39 pm

How do you all feel about submitting additional documents to schools that have already received your application. Please provide your rationale.

Thanks.

sch0123

Bronze

Re: Submitting Additional Documents

Post by sch0123 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm curious about this as well... I know some suggest that sending in additional documents before a decision is rendered is a sign of "weakness" in the application, i.e. the applicant put together his initial application hastily. In my case, I'm considering submitting a "why x" to the school that is now my top choice after getting denied at a few places.... I'm thinking it's a good idea but input would be helpful!

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:20 pm

sch0123 wrote:I'm curious about this as well... I know some suggest that sending in additional documents before a decision is rendered is a sign of "weakness" in the application, i.e. the applicant put together his initial application hastily. In my case, I'm considering submitting a "why x" to the school that is now my top choice after getting denied at a few places.... I'm thinking it's a good idea but input would be helpful!
Bump

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 pm

I've submitted several additional documents since applying - one additional transcript and one LOCI letter (I wasn't WL'd, but it had been 3 months and I thought it would be appropriate)

It can be good:
-If you really want them to know you are interested
-I wouldn't worry about looking like you threw your app together. I think schools understand that things change, get updated, are out of you control, etc. As one admin. office secretary told me 'any additional information can only help'
-It can show improvement - if you have done something spectacular since applying, why would you not want them to know?

It can be bad:
-I initially went complete 11/08, but when I submitted my updated transcript it pushed my complete date back to 11/23. This is typical but check with your school, this is probably the biggest downside, IMO
-There are a few posts about 'annoying' the committee... take it or leave it

sch0123

Bronze

Post by sch0123 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like the potential positives outweigh any negatives, at least in the situation I'm in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”