Michigan Waitlist 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
theturkeyisfat

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby theturkeyisfat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 pm

summer melt?

hopefully they forgot to account for climate change

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:45 pm

5 is better than nothing I suppose, but still depressing.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Last year the number was 0, so 5 is like a billion times better... or something.

Postby 5110 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm going to guess (based on what I hear from Duke) and say that at this point there are at least 250 people on the waitlist. Las Vegas odds... splendid.

Edit: On the waitlist, 167/3.95, non-URM, number 2 choice after Penn where I am also waitlisted.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:06 pm

unlike duke, michigan did actually trim their waitlist down some. so maybe 125-150.

5110 wrote:I'm going to guess (based on what I hear from Duke) and say that at this point there are at least 250 people on the waitlist. Las Vegas odds... splendid.

Edit: On the waitlist, 167/3.95, non-URM, number 2 choice after Penn where I am also waitlisted.

Prime12

Postby Prime12 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Just wondering, but do you guys send LOCIs via email or regular mail? I've always used regular mail but I am out of the country right now and am concerned my LOCI would not get there on time if I use regular mail.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Prime12 wrote:Just wondering, but do you guys send LOCIs via email or regular mail? I've always used regular mail but I am out of the country right now and am concerned my LOCI would not get there on time if I use regular mail.

Michigan is happy to accept emailed LOCIs. I've sent two and both were promptly added to my file according to the reply I got. One even referenced material in the LOCI aside from numbers type stuff, so I'm pretty sure they're reading it and adding it like they say.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Prime12 wrote:Just wondering, but do you guys send LOCIs via email or regular mail? I've always used regular mail but I am out of the country right now and am concerned my LOCI would not get there on time if I use regular mail.

email should be fine, it's what i've used every time

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:50 pm

robotclubmember wrote:i think they have pretty much told us what's going on, though, michigan's correspondence always has an overly rosy tony to it. i personally like the more blunt approach of other schools. the waitlist email u of m sent which talked about the guy who got in off of the waitlist and went on to clerk for the supreme court and win a complex civil rights case or whatever would be encouragement for those of us on the waitlist, if michigan actually admitted anyone off of it. at this point i'd guess <2% of wl's get off it, if any at all. in retrospect, considering that the wl is just a soft reject, that email looks a little silly.

5110 wrote:I'm going to guess (based on what I hear from Duke) and say that at this point there are at least 250 people on the waitlist. Las Vegas odds... splendid.

5/250 = 2%. (And the original waitlist tally was higher, I'm sure). Just want to point it out to silence all them haters out there. Robots never lie.

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:03 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:i think they have pretty much told us what's going on, though, michigan's correspondence always has an overly rosy tony to it. i personally like the more blunt approach of other schools. the waitlist email u of m sent which talked about the guy who got in off of the waitlist and went on to clerk for the supreme court and win a complex civil rights case or whatever would be encouragement for those of us on the waitlist, if michigan actually admitted anyone off of it. at this point i'd guess <2% of wl's get off it, if any at all. in retrospect, considering that the wl is just a soft reject, that email looks a little silly.

5/250 = 2%. (And the original waitlist tally was higher, I'm sure). Just want to point it out to silence all them haters out there. Robots never lie.

Lol robot are you going to pick another fight with your cynicism? Let the people in this thread hold onto what little hope they have :P

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:13 pm

robotclubmember wrote:

Prime12

Postby Prime12 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:23 pm

My iphone has been ringing like crazy during the past hour because of this thread so I thought there were movements!!!! Im unsubscribing damnit lol.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:

NO WAI.

I never redefined an argument. People got pissy because I was realistic, which they interpreted as pessimistic. I may be a dick, but I contribute sound analysis on these here forums, good sir. At this point though, whichever 5 get off the waitlist I'm sure deserve it, so good luck to all. Didn't mean to hijack thread, please resume your regular lulz.

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:33 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:

NO WAI.

I never redefined an argument. People got pissy because I was realistic, which they interpreted as pessimistic. I may be a dick, but I contribute sound analysis on these here forums, good sir. At this point though, whichever 5 get off the waitlist I'm sure deserve it, so good luck to all. Didn't mean to hijack thread, please resume your regular lulz.

:lol:

Postby 5110 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Nothing meaningful to add, just wanted to say that I've been extremely impressed with how nice the Michigan admin people are... even when they give me bad news (e.g. the waitlist letter) they still manage to make me feel good about myself, i.e., not like the loser that I am. (Hey, the e-mail could have read: "you're just not good enough, try to grow a few more neurons, rewrite the LSAT, and try again next year."

That said, I also fell that the inevitable rejection will now hurt even more, because I am no longer being rejected by cruel, inhuman admission machines but by an unrequited friend with a cool blog and a wicked sense of humor. Oh, Michigan...

monarch2007

Postby monarch2007 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:36 am

Maybe its a sign I check the waitlist status too much , but it looks like they changed the number they're admitting from "5" to "a few." Hopefully "a few" means more than five...

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:56 am

Still says five buddy

Postby 5110 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:57 am

monarch2007, for me it still reads 5: "with an eye toward making about five offers." Michigan wouldn't stealth change things...

edit: robot beat me to it... darn it

tigerbunny

Postby tigerbunny » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:02 pm

5110 wrote: That said, I also fell that the inevitable rejection will now hurt even more, because I am no longer being rejected by cruel, inhuman admission machines but by an unrequited friend with a cool blog and a wicked sense of humor. Oh, Michigan...

blog? what blog? help me out here..

monarch2007

Postby monarch2007 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Hopefully they won't consider my inability to read when they reevaluate my app. My bad !

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Called and spoke with an adcom yesterday. They seemed to think there was a chance 5 additional spots could open up in July and maybe 5 in early August... still not sure I like the odds.

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:33 pm

monarch2007 wrote:Hopefully they won't consider my inability to read when they reevaluate my app. My bad !

I don't think that's very important

izzymilo

Postby izzymilo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Got a call today asking if I'm still interested and what my financial aid situation is

They said they aren't at a point to offer spots yet- but will provide information when they can....

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:45 pm

izzymilo wrote:Got a call today asking if I'm still interested and what my financial aid situation is

They said they aren't at a point to offer spots yet- but will provide information when they can....

ooh congrats!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:50 pm

izzymilo wrote:Got a call today asking if I'm still interested and what my financial aid situation is

Nice! Did you send a written response to their WL update email earlier?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”