Michigan Waitlist 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NorCalBruin

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue May 31, 2011 3:09 pm

It's really anybody's guess... but as long as we're guessing I'm going to throw out 50-100. I mean, if about 10 TLS'ers have responded, there's gotta be another 10-20 TLS'ers lurking or haven't checked their email yet, and probably another few dozen "real people" who aren't on TLS at all

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue May 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Got an email.

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 pm

thelawyler wrote:Got an email.

Same.

cornhusker

Postby cornhusker » Tue May 31, 2011 3:35 pm

akili wrote:I got the email as well. Michigan is a dream school, but I gotta figure out if I would really drop everything to go there before I write the letter.

Debt isn't a problem, should I go there (haha, if I even get in) over Vanderbilt with 60k total? I'm from Texas and no geographical preferences. I want to be an ADA. Any advice?

Are you really questioning whether or not you are going to be happy at Vandy? You seem to have been very tempted when Cornell acceptance came, and the remote prospect of U Mich. Your posts seem so energetic, maybe you're a person who is always second guessing?

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 31, 2011 3:38 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:It's really anybody's guess... but as long as we're guessing I'm going to throw out 50-100. I mean, if about 10 TLS'ers have responded, there's gotta be another 10-20 TLS'ers lurking or haven't checked their email yet, and probably another few dozen "real people" who aren't on TLS at all

Depressing to know that this wait will likely last another 3 weeks or more.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue May 31, 2011 3:42 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:She signed it SCZ. I swooned a bit.

Bildungsroman wrote:So, some take-away messages:

1. Nobody's getting off the WL for summer start.
2. She doesn't say they're definitely going to accept people off the WL, but she makes it sound like a strong possibility.
3. Dean Z continues to be awesome

I don't understand why you guys are swooning over this letter. They always write overly optimistic correspondence to applicants. I was told it was "very much a possibility" to get off the waitlist for summer start, and not a soul did. It is not a strong possibility and I think we're getting smoke blown up our collective asses, again. That said, I'll decline the e-mail and I really do hope those of you who really want to go to the school get off the waitlist. Best of luck, but a little "reality appreciation" is called for here.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Tue May 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:

Same.

Also received the email.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue May 31, 2011 3:45 pm

sambeber wrote:
Siamsa414 wrote:

Same.

Also received the email.

+1

looks like a lot of people got it

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue May 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Also alive

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue May 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Got the email. Still alive.

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue May 31, 2011 4:55 pm

robotclubmember wrote:

2. She doesn't say they're definitely going to accept people off the WL, but she makes it sound like a strong possibility.

I don't understand why you guys are swooning over this letter. They always write overly optimistic correspondence to applicants. I was told it was "very much a possibility" to get off the waitlist for summer start, and not a soul did. It is not a strong possibility and I think we're getting smoke blown up our collective asses, again. That said, I'll decline the e-mail and I really do hope those of you who really want to go to the school get off the waitlist. Best of luck, but a little "reality appreciation" is called for here.

I hate that you're so right..... still though, i'm stickin around for a bit, let's see what happens

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue May 31, 2011 5:08 pm

robotclubmember wrote:

big fat +1 here. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue May 31, 2011 5:26 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:

I just want to BELIEVE!!!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue May 31, 2011 5:53 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:

Uh cool. Hope your cynicism helps you sleep well at night.
Seriously why does it bother you that some people may possibly be happy about receiving correspondence or find some of the things that Dean Z does endearing?
You both sound like awesome people to be friends with. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

monarch2007

Postby monarch2007 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:03 pm

+1

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue May 31, 2011 6:13 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

oops, i should have known that realistic expectations don't belong in TLS waitlist threads

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue May 31, 2011 6:15 pm

sreichel wrote:I just want to BELIEVE!!!

See avatar and +1. Also got the email, and sent off a reply/LOCI.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue May 31, 2011 6:21 pm

Seriously why does it bother you that some people may possibly be happy about receiving correspondence or find some of the things that Dean Z does endearing?
You both sound like awesome people to be friends with. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... udy_finds/

i never said you aren't allowed to throw some rah-rah's out. i wish the best to those who remain on the waitlist. but there's nothing that says a man can't temper blind optimism with a dose of reality. and to be frank, i do find michigan's e-mails to encourage false hope, which is a slight annoyance. none of the other schools run their ship that way, but who knows. maybe you could clerk for the supreme court and later go on to win a complex civil rights case (re: first overly optimistic waitlist e-mail, from which thus far zero waitlisted candidates have been admitted).

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Tue May 31, 2011 6:22 pm

Kabuo wrote:

Did you just reply to the e-mail with a paragraph or so indicating your level of interest, or did you send an attachment in business letter format, etc.?

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue May 31, 2011 6:25 pm

RTFM wrote:
Kabuo wrote:

Did you just reply to the e-mail with a paragraph or so indicating your level of interest, or did you send an attachment in business letter format, etc.?

Just replied with a paragraph, but their office has told me they add these things to your file. And I've already sent two substantial LOCIs, so this one was just spelling out my interest in very defined terms.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 pm

robotclubmember wrote:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... udy_finds/

i never said you aren't allowed to throw some rah-rah's out. i wish the best to those who remain on the waitlist. but there's nothing that says a man can't temper blind optimism with a dose of reality. and to be frank, i do find michigan's e-mails to encourage false hope, which is a slight annoyance. none of the other schools run their ship that way, but who knows. maybe you could clerk for the supreme court and later go on to win a complex civil rights case (re: first overly optimistic waitlist e-mail, from which thus far zero waitlisted candidates have been admitted).

exactly what i was griping about

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue May 31, 2011 6:57 pm

Kabuo wrote:
RTFM wrote:
Kabuo wrote:

Just replied with a paragraph, but their office has told me they add these things to your file. And I've already sent two substantial LOCIs, so this one was just spelling out my interest in very defined terms.

I quickly painted my body with Michigan's colors and sent a picture mixed into a colage of different types of wolverines, too subtle?

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue May 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Kabuo wrote:
RTFM wrote:
Kabuo wrote:

Nah I actually haven't responded yet, but it will be a paragraph basically just discussing my personal situation, neither an essay nor a one-liner.

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 pm

I quickly painted my body with Michigan's colors and sent a picture mixed into a colage of different types of wolverines, too subtle?

you didn't add a tattoo?!?

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Tue May 31, 2011 7:46 pm

Letter received. My optimism<SCZ's

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”