Michigan Waitlist 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 31, 2011 11:54 am

Asleep wrote:My thought is we might see some movement this week if there are no-shows at the summer start orientation


Would they actually admit summer starters if people no-show? Don't those classes start in a week?

Asleep
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Asleep » Tue May 31, 2011 12:10 pm

Don't know. Could be wishful thinking on my part.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Asleep wrote:Don't know. Could be wishful thinking on my part.


Well best of luck if they do. I know I can't drop work and go on that sort of short notice, but if spots open up I'm rooting for TLSers to grab them!

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue May 31, 2011 1:01 pm

Everyone else just get an email asking if you're still interested?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone else just get an email asking if you're still interested?


DO IT, YOU FUCK.

rjh456
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:15 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby rjh456 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:03 pm

yup, just got it too.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue May 31, 2011 1:05 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone else just get an email asking if you're still interested?


DO IT, YOU FUCK.

Well it's not a firm offer, really just soliciting a LOCI. Guess I should write one.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:09 pm

I didn't get anything :(

Edit: Just checked the status checker and it says "Decision." I guess I just got cut. :shock:
Last edited by 071816 on Tue May 31, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue May 31, 2011 1:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone else just get an email asking if you're still interested?


Yep.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue May 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone else just get an email asking if you're still interested?


DO IT, YOU FUCK.

Well it's not a firm offer, really just soliciting a LOCI. Guess I should write one.


She signed it SCZ. I swooned a bit.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 pm

just got it too---what does she mean regarding financial aid? like asking if we require financial aid to attend??????????

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby aaaaaah » Tue May 31, 2011 1:14 pm

Just checked my status after not receiving an email-- got the cut. Oh well.

User avatar
nihilism is key
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:32 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby nihilism is key » Tue May 31, 2011 1:15 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone else just get an email asking if you're still interested?

si si.

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby sreichel » Tue May 31, 2011 1:15 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:just got it too---what does she mean regarding financial aid? like asking if we require financial aid to attend??????????

Like is that a factor in attending Michigan. I.E. is Cornell or Virginia or somewhere offering you $$$ that they would have to match

Edit: and I got the email too (if that wasn't obvious...)
Last edited by sreichel on Tue May 31, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue May 31, 2011 1:15 pm

In case somebody didn't receive it but is interested in what it says:
Dear [redacted],

As we close out May and prepare to enter June, we at Michigan Law have released many of the candidates who agreed to participate in our waitlist, and so have a core group of strong candidates remaining—among whom you number. I write to bring you up to date as we contemplate two different events with implications for our waitlist. The first is the enrollment of the summer starters, which occurs today; we have a full cohort, and now know for sure that we will not be making any summer-starter offers. But the second event is our June 15 second deposit deadline, and we anticipate, because of unusual amounts of waitlist activity at a number of other law schools, that some people who are currently enrolled will have made other plans and decline to submit the second deposit. I am writing now, therefore, to assess your interest in remaining on the waitlist and being considered for a possible seat among our fall starters.

If you are sure you are no longer willing to consider an offer, I would be very grateful if you would let me know by responding to this email.

If, on the other hand, you are still willing to consider an offer, it would be wonderful if you could let me know the extent of your interest. That is, would you be willing to consider an offer made before the end of June, but not after that? Or until the end of July? Or would you be willing to consider an offer even at the end of August? Or are you somewhere in between? Is your acceptance dependent on some factor other than timing, like financial aid? Any information you can provide at this point would be very helpful.

Whatever your decision about the waitlist, I would like to thank you for having participated in this necessary, but difficult, phase of our admissions process. You are a great candidate, and we appreciate your interest in Michigan.

SCZ


So, some take-away messages:

1. Nobody's getting off the WL for summer start.
2. She doesn't say they're definitely going to accept people off the WL, but she makes it sound like a strong possibility.
3. Dean Z continues to be awesome

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue May 31, 2011 1:17 pm

sreichel wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:just got it too---what does she mean regarding financial aid? like asking if we require financial aid to attend??????????

Like is that a factor in attending Michigan. I.E. is Cornell or Virginia or somewhere offering you $$$ that they would have to match

Edit: and I got the email too (if that wasn't obvious...)

thank you! I appreciate the explanation....now feel a bit dumb :).

dukeblue
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby dukeblue » Tue May 31, 2011 1:22 pm

I just got this, too, but I sent an e-mail to withdraw my application a little more than a week ago.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 31, 2011 1:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:In case somebody didn't receive it but is interested in what it says:
Dear [redacted],

As we close out May and prepare to enter June, we at Michigan Law have released many of the candidates who agreed to participate in our waitlist, and so have a core group of strong candidates remaining—among whom you number. I write to bring you up to date as we contemplate two different events with implications for our waitlist. The first is the enrollment of the summer starters, which occurs today; we have a full cohort, and now know for sure that we will not be making any summer-starter offers. But the second event is our June 15 second deposit deadline, and we anticipate, because of unusual amounts of waitlist activity at a number of other law schools, that some people who are currently enrolled will have made other plans and decline to submit the second deposit. I am writing now, therefore, to assess your interest in remaining on the waitlist and being considered for a possible seat among our fall starters.

If you are sure you are no longer willing to consider an offer, I would be very grateful if you would let me know by responding to this email.

If, on the other hand, you are still willing to consider an offer, it would be wonderful if you could let me know the extent of your interest. That is, would you be willing to consider an offer made before the end of June, but not after that? Or until the end of July? Or would you be willing to consider an offer even at the end of August? Or are you somewhere in between? Is your acceptance dependent on some factor other than timing, like financial aid? Any information you can provide at this point would be very helpful.

Whatever your decision about the waitlist, I would like to thank you for having participated in this necessary, but difficult, phase of our admissions process. You are a great candidate, and we appreciate your interest in Michigan.

SCZ


So, some take-away messages:

1. Nobody's getting off the WL for summer start.
2. She doesn't say they're definitely going to accept people off the WL, but she makes it sound like a strong possibility.
3. Dean Z continues to be awesome



...got the e-mail too. Michigan will be receiving a LOCI offering up my first born for admission shortly.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Gecko of Doom » Tue May 31, 2011 1:27 pm

.
Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby sreichel » Tue May 31, 2011 1:28 pm

fingersxd wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:In case somebody didn't receive it but is interested in what it says:
Dear [redacted],

As we close out May and prepare to enter June, we at Michigan Law have released many of the candidates who agreed to participate in our waitlist, and so have a core group of strong candidates remaining—among whom you number. I write to bring you up to date as we contemplate two different events with implications for our waitlist. The first is the enrollment of the summer starters, which occurs today; we have a full cohort, and now know for sure that we will not be making any summer-starter offers. But the second event is our June 15 second deposit deadline, and we anticipate, because of unusual amounts of waitlist activity at a number of other law schools, that some people who are currently enrolled will have made other plans and decline to submit the second deposit. I am writing now, therefore, to assess your interest in remaining on the waitlist and being considered for a possible seat among our fall starters.

If you are sure you are no longer willing to consider an offer, I would be very grateful if you would let me know by responding to this email.

If, on the other hand, you are still willing to consider an offer, it would be wonderful if you could let me know the extent of your interest. That is, would you be willing to consider an offer made before the end of June, but not after that? Or until the end of July? Or would you be willing to consider an offer even at the end of August? Or are you somewhere in between? Is your acceptance dependent on some factor other than timing, like financial aid? Any information you can provide at this point would be very helpful.

Whatever your decision about the waitlist, I would like to thank you for having participated in this necessary, but difficult, phase of our admissions process. You are a great candidate, and we appreciate your interest in Michigan.

SCZ


So, some take-away messages:

1. Nobody's getting off the WL for summer start.
2. She doesn't say they're definitely going to accept people off the WL, but she makes it sound like a strong possibility.
3. Dean Z continues to be awesome



...got the e-mail too. Michigan will be receiving a LOCI offering up my first born for admission shortly.

Just your firstborn? Come on, show some dedication...

User avatar
happyfeet
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby happyfeet » Tue May 31, 2011 1:29 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:Got the email. I feel kind of lame for being so excited about having a chance to continue being strung along... but damn it, it's Michigan.


same same

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby RTFM » Tue May 31, 2011 1:30 pm

Got the e-mail also. Every communication from Michigan just makes me want to go there more. How does she make everything sound so nice??

patallica22
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby patallica22 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:34 pm

The plot thickens...got the email too. I'm not going to be very pleasant to be around if this rolls on into August, but I'll be waiting it out till they tell me to go away :)

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby akili » Tue May 31, 2011 2:54 pm

I got the email as well. Michigan is a dream school, but I gotta figure out if I would really drop everything to go there before I write the letter.

Debt isn't a problem, should I go there (haha, if I even get in) over Vanderbilt with 60k total? I'm from Texas and no geographical preferences. I want to be an ADA. Any advice?

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 31, 2011 3:02 pm

How many people do we think are still on this WL? Just judging my the # of TLSers that have already responded, I suspect it remains a pretty large pool, right?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”