Michigan Waitlist 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Koyaanisqatsi
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Koyaanisqatsi » Mon May 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello all. I'm new to the group and have been on the MLaw waitlist since March. I checked online today and my status has gone from "Waitlisted" to "Decision." Has this happened to anyone else yet, or does anyone have any idea what this might mean? I was under the impression that if an offer were to be extended, it would be done via phone or secondarily email. Thanks!

User avatar
s254w
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby s254w » Mon May 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Just saw the same. I think it means we've been released from the wait list.

whateverman
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby whateverman » Mon May 16, 2011 4:19 pm

s254w wrote:Just saw the same. I think it means we've been released from the wait list.


+1

Saw "Decision" over the weekend and can't get into the Admitted Students' page. :cry:

User avatar
HogLife
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby HogLife » Mon May 16, 2011 4:48 pm

I sent my 3rd LOCI via email first thing this morning. Unfortunately, I did this without logging onto my status checker first. Totally would have saved myself the embarrassment of reading Liz Seger's reply. Dinged. She was so nice about it, which made the ding better, but worse, all in one swoop. Waitlisted ---> Decision = Released.

Well... I wish I could say it was fun while it lasted... Ah, well good luck to those of you who have not seen a status change today. Breathe easy. Your still alive for now.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Mon May 16, 2011 5:36 pm

HogLife wrote:I sent my 3rd LOCI via email first thing this morning. Unfortunately, I did this without logging onto my status checker first. Totally would have saved myself the embarrassment of reading Liz Seger's reply. Dinged. She was so nice about it, which made the ding better, but worse, all in one swoop. Waitlisted ---> Decision = Released.

Well... I wish I could say it was fun while it lasted... Ah, well good luck to those of you who have not seen a status change today. Breathe easy. Your still alive for now.


Ouch...that's awkward. The Michigan admissions ppl are nice though so I guess better them than someone else? Either way, good luck with wherever you end up!

beezy31
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby beezy31 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Same here - good luck ya'll!

fingersxd wrote:
HogLife wrote:I sent my 3rd LOCI via email first thing this morning. Unfortunately, I did this without logging onto my status checker first. Totally would have saved myself the embarrassment of reading Liz Seger's reply. Dinged. She was so nice about it, which made the ding better, but worse, all in one swoop. Waitlisted ---> Decision = Released.

Well... I wish I could say it was fun while it lasted... Ah, well good luck to those of you who have not seen a status change today. Breathe easy. Your still alive for now.


Ouch...that's awkward. The Michigan admissions ppl are nice though so I guess better them than someone else? Either way, good luck with wherever you end up!

User avatar
HogLife
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby HogLife » Mon May 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Haha, ouch is right! But hey, I applied late... As in, submitted my entire app on March 23rd. To have been waitlisted was a victory all in itself. I'm sure I'll give it a go ED next cycle for summer start. Best of luck to you all!!!! :)

Prime12
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Prime12 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:32 pm

If it makes you feel any better, it may actually be a blessing to be released early. Last year I survived every single waitlist cut but since they were over enrolled I wasn't admitted anyways. In the end it was just added stress and false hope.

Looks like I'm still on the waitlist (yes I was WL'd two years in a row; I waited a year and reapplied because I wanted michigan that bad) but seeing how they have enough students already I'm not expecting anything.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Kabuo » Mon May 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Still alive I guess. Sorry to everyone who got cut. Anyone want to take baseless or educated guesses about the new size of the WL?

justhoping
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby justhoping » Mon May 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Kabuo wrote:Still alive I guess. Sorry to everyone who got cut. Anyone want to take baseless or educated guesses about the new size of the WL?


still alive too. and my guess on the new size: 100< ??? <200, i.e. still not realistic.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Mon May 16, 2011 8:44 pm

justhoping wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Still alive I guess. Sorry to everyone who got cut. Anyone want to take baseless or educated guesses about the new size of the WL?


still alive too. and my guess on the new size: 100< ??? <200, i.e. still not realistic.


Has anyone got in of the WL recently?

I too would be curious to know just how big the WL is at this point.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Deuce » Mon May 16, 2011 8:46 pm

Just checked, also still alive. Here's to hopin' :)

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby 071816 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Deuce wrote:Just checked, also still alive. Here's to hopin' :)


+1

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Kabuo » Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 pm

fingersxd wrote:Has anyone got in of the WL recently?

I too would be curious to know just how big the WL is at this point.


As far as I know, no one has gotten in yet. Was hoping someone would when another poster said he withdrew for summer start after depositing and everything.

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby bigjinjapan » Mon May 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Kabuo wrote:
fingersxd wrote:Has anyone got in of the WL recently?

I too would be curious to know just how big the WL is at this point.


As far as I know, no one has gotten in yet. Was hoping someone would when another poster said he withdrew for summer start after depositing and everything.


While it does seem like some schools are making offers as spaces open up, it may be that UM will make offers in batches. The releases seem to be coming in groups so this seems more likely. Of course, that spot may have simply gone to someone not on TLS...

Also still alive for the time being.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby akili » Mon May 16, 2011 11:27 pm

I'm still alive too. I'm not sure what I'd do if the miraculous happened though.

313D313
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby 313D313 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Still alive as well.

I just wish i had an idea how many people are on the waiting list!
Either way, i am willing to wait...crossing my fingers

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Kabuo » Mon May 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Seems like a fair few TLSers are still on. I think that's kind of depressing considering how small a minority of the applicant pool we usually are. I don't see how it could possibly be below 100. I think one of the above posters probably nailed it with the 100-200 figure.

313D313
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby 313D313 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Kabuo wrote:Seems like a fair few TLSers are still on. I think that's kind of depressing considering how small a minority of the applicant pool we usually are. I don't see how it could possibly be below 100. I think one of the above posters probably nailed it with the 100-200 figure.



This is based on nothing but my personal opinion, but i feel like 100 to 200 is a very large number. Again, i could be and i am probably wrong but that number just seems very large to me.

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby bigjinjapan » Tue May 17, 2011 12:13 am

akili wrote:I'm still alive too. I'm not sure what I'd do if the miraculous happened though.


I know exactly what I'd do, regardless of other factors. Whch is why I'm staying on the WL instead of withdrawing.
Last edited by bigjinjapan on Tue May 17, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 17, 2011 12:15 am

bigjinjapan wrote:
akili wrote:I'm still alive too. I'm not sure what I'd do if the miraculous happened though.


I know exactly what I'd do, regardless of other factors.


+1 -- I'd go if they called me the day before classes! :)

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 17, 2011 12:19 am

313D313 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Seems like a fair few TLSers are still on. I think that's kind of depressing considering how small a minority of the applicant pool we usually are. I don't see how it could possibly be below 100. I think one of the above posters probably nailed it with the 100-200 figure.



This is based on nothing but my personal opinion, but i feel like 100 to 200 is a very large number. Again, i could be and i am probably wrong but that number just seems very large to me.


200 is probably on the high end but 100 is not unreasonable given Michigan's class size -- esp. since it seems they've really only started to trim the WL relatively recently and by all accounts it was HUGE to begin with.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it necessarily means odds are better for those still on. It could just as easily be a reflection of the fact that the class picture is getting clearer and they know they don't need to have as large a WL anymore so they are chopping it down.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby akili » Tue May 17, 2011 12:29 am

bigjinjapan wrote:
akili wrote:I'm still alive too. I'm not sure what I'd do if the miraculous happened though.


I know exactly what I'd do, regardless of other factors. Whch is why I'm staying on the WL instead of withdrawing.


I meant as far as celebration! Also, I know it's a longshot (in my head at least) so I want to be realistic and happy about the school I deposited at.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby RTFM » Tue May 17, 2011 1:34 am

fingersxd wrote:
313D313 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Seems like a fair few TLSers are still on. I think that's kind of depressing considering how small a minority of the applicant pool we usually are. I don't see how it could possibly be below 100. I think one of the above posters probably nailed it with the 100-200 figure.



This is based on nothing but my personal opinion, but i feel like 100 to 200 is a very large number. Again, i could be and i am probably wrong but that number just seems very large to me.


200 is probably on the high end but 100 is not unreasonable given Michigan's class size -- esp. since it seems they've really only started to trim the WL relatively recently and by all accounts it was HUGE to begin with.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it necessarily means odds are better for those still on. It could just as easily be a reflection of the fact that the class picture is getting clearer and they know they don't need to have as large a WL anymore so they are chopping it down.


I counted on LSN today, and there are 119 people who are still listed at "waitlisted" and who haven't withdrawn or already been rejected. It's possible that some of these people are just lazy updaters and haven't shown that they've withdrawn, but that is still a HUGE number of people that are feasibly on the waitlist, especially considering that LSN is a tiny fraction of the total applicant pool.

:shock:

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby 071816 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:56 am

Yea the WL seemed absurdly enormous to begin with. I doubt it is significantly smaller now.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”