Michigan Waitlist 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
happyfeet
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby happyfeet » Tue May 10, 2011 3:07 pm

i have
roger8219 wrote:
MyManKanye wrote:I don't think its very likely to be granted a deferral unless you can really make a case for something interesting. I don't think something like working or volunteering or even TFA would get you a good chance at deferral from the WL.


actually, work/volunteering can be a good enough reason. this was along the lines of the reason i gave when successfully requesting a deferral from last year (i'll be attending this year). i just really wanted to go to school at Michigan, so i asked; i had nothing to lose. Note that my numbers were 172/3.5x, so i don't think it was too hard for them to give me a spot in this class.


great to know of someone for whom the waitist-deferral option worked out. my numbers are slightly lower that yours but i have cool softs to balance them out and some solid reasons for taking another year. do you remember when you approached them? june?

jtgnyc
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby jtgnyc » Tue May 10, 2011 5:42 pm

BrendanD wrote:Withdrew from summer start after a deposit. Good luck to you all!



anyone think this could be a summer start spot opening up?

who is available to take a summer start spot in 3 weeks?

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Kabuo » Tue May 10, 2011 5:45 pm

jtgnyc wrote:
BrendanD wrote:Withdrew from summer start after a deposit. Good luck to you all!



anyone think this could be a summer start spot opening up?

who is available to take a summer start spot in 3 weeks?


I could make myself do it, but wow would it be hectic. I guess I should tell them I'd be willing to quit my job early and leave with 3 weeks notice. Seems like something they should know.

jtgnyc
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby jtgnyc » Tue May 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Kabuo wrote:
jtgnyc wrote:
BrendanD wrote:Withdrew from summer start after a deposit. Good luck to you all!



anyone think this could be a summer start spot opening up?

who is available to take a summer start spot in 3 weeks?


I could make myself do it, but wow would it be hectic. I guess I should tell them I'd be willing to quit my job early and leave with 3 weeks notice. Seems like something they should know.


yes, would definitely be hectic. i wonder if they would even offer a spot for summer this late.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 10, 2011 6:40 pm

jtgnyc wrote:
Kabuo wrote:
jtgnyc wrote:
BrendanD wrote:Withdrew from summer start after a deposit. Good luck to you all!



anyone think this could be a summer start spot opening up?

who is available to take a summer start spot in 3 weeks?


I could make myself do it, but wow would it be hectic. I guess I should tell them I'd be willing to quit my job early and leave with 3 weeks notice. Seems like something they should know.


yes, would definitely be hectic. i wonder if they would even offer a spot for summer this late.


They will probably try, but I suspect they will target more "local" applicants and/or UG's who don't have work obligations.

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby mistermister » Thu May 12, 2011 10:55 am

eik. can't log into the status checker. haven't tried in a while, so don't know how long its been like that. any other WLer have this problem? hope it doesn't mean I got the axe.....

patallica22
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby patallica22 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:19 am

mistermister wrote:eik. can't log into the status checker. haven't tried in a while, so don't know how long its been like that. any other WLer have this problem? hope it doesn't mean I got the axe.....


Same for me....I can't help but be negative :(

justhoping
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby justhoping » Thu May 12, 2011 11:25 am

patallica22 wrote:
mistermister wrote:eik. can't log into the status checker. haven't tried in a while, so don't know how long its been like that. any other WLer have this problem? hope it doesn't mean I got the axe.....


Same for me....I can't help but be negative :(


+1

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby aaaaaah » Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am

I'm locked out, too. Eeeek.

User avatar
MillerTime
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby MillerTime » Thu May 12, 2011 11:30 am

Are people seeing this? "No record was found for the given UM ID and birth date. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information."

lawyered2014
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby lawyered2014 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:31 am

mistermister wrote:eik. can't log into the status checker. haven't tried in a while, so don't know how long its been like that. any other WLer have this problem? hope it doesn't mean I got the axe.....


I think they would have updated us on the Waitlist page to let us know that there would be more releases before they gave us all the axe ... Also, before everyone that was released was able to log in and saw that there status changed to decision (or letter sent, or whatever it is). So, don't worry too much :D

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 am

patallica22 wrote:
mistermister wrote:eik. can't log into the status checker. haven't tried in a while, so don't know how long its been like that. any other WLer have this problem? hope it doesn't mean I got the axe.....


Same for me....I can't help but be negative :(


Uh-oh...I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to login and it's saying:
"No record was found for the given UM ID and birth date. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information."

Has anyone tried calling them?

Asleep
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Asleep » Thu May 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Just called, its a technical issue, not a waitlist cut

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby aaaaaah » Thu May 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Asleep wrote:Just called, its a technical issue, not a waitlist cut


Thanks.

roger8219
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby roger8219 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:30 pm

happyfeet wrote:i have
roger8219 wrote:
MyManKanye wrote:I don't think its very likely to be granted a deferral unless you can really make a case for something interesting. I don't think something like working or volunteering or even TFA would get you a good chance at deferral from the WL.


actually, work/volunteering can be a good enough reason. this was along the lines of the reason i gave when successfully requesting a deferral from last year (i'll be attending this year). i just really wanted to go to school at Michigan, so i asked; i had nothing to lose. Note that my numbers were 172/3.5x, so i don't think it was too hard for them to give me a spot in this class.


great to know of someone for whom the waitist-deferral option worked out. my numbers are slightly lower that yours but i have cool softs to balance them out and some solid reasons for taking another year. do you remember when you approached them? june?


i don't recall the exact date, but it was certainly later in the summer. i think late June -- or even July.

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby mistermister » Thu May 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Asleep wrote:Just called, its a technical issue, not a waitlist cut


**collective sigh of relief**

now if we could only get an FAQ update...

lawyered2014
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby lawyered2014 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:20 pm

I just sent my second LOCI - updating them with my new internship. I hope that at least keeps me on the wait-list when/if they make more cuts...

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Thu May 12, 2011 3:29 pm

lawyered2014 wrote:I just sent my second LOCI - updating them with my new internship. I hope that at least keeps me on the wait-list when/if they make more cuts...


Big downside of being employed FT - nothing new to report since my last LOCI. Sadly, once they know you are leaving potential raises+promotions go out the window -- double whammy.

lawyered2014
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby lawyered2014 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:36 pm

fingersxd wrote:
lawyered2014 wrote:I just sent my second LOCI - updating them with my new internship. I hope that at least keeps me on the wait-list when/if they make more cuts...


Big downside of being employed FT - nothing new to report since my last LOCI. Sadly, once they know you are leaving potential raises+promotions go out the window -- double whammy.


I'm sorry to hear that. But it makes me feel better that I wasn't able to find a full time job after I graduated.... I had two part-time jobs for a while - but when one of my paychecks bounced, I decided that if I wasn't going to get paid, I should do something more worthwhile...

I'm sure you are better off working full-time than continuously bouncing between coffee jobs.... and finding an internship AFTER you applied. :D

Asleep
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 am

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby Asleep » Fri May 13, 2011 3:53 pm

From the waitlist page:

While we received the number of deposits we need to fill our entering class, we have learned that many of our peer institutions did not and are therefore very actively admitting from their waitlists. That level of waitlist activity typically has some impact on our entering class, and so although we would not normally make any offers given the number of deposits we have, we are keeping a close eye on enrollment and may make a handful of offers over the coming weeks. We are simultaneously continuing to release people from the waitlist in order to keep the size realistic. As always, we very much appreciate your patience during this stressful process.

patallica22
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby patallica22 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Asleep wrote:From the waitlist page:

While we received the number of deposits we need to fill our entering class, we have learned that many of our peer institutions did not and are therefore very actively admitting from their waitlists. That level of waitlist activity typically has some impact on our entering class, and so although we would not normally make any offers given the number of deposits we have, we are keeping a close eye on enrollment and may make a handful of offers over the coming weeks. We are simultaneously continuing to release people from the waitlist in order to keep the size realistic. As always, we very much appreciate your patience during this stressful process.


It was fun while it lasted...

313D313
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby 313D313 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:44 pm

patallica22 wrote:
Asleep wrote:From the waitlist page:

While we received the number of deposits we need to fill our entering class, we have learned that many of our peer institutions did not and are therefore very actively admitting from their waitlists. That level of waitlist activity typically has some impact on our entering class, and so although we would not normally make any offers given the number of deposits we have, we are keeping a close eye on enrollment and may make a handful of offers over the coming weeks. We are simultaneously continuing to release people from the waitlist in order to keep the size realistic. As always, we very much appreciate your patience during this stressful process.



It was fun while it lasted...


Were you cut?

patallica22
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby patallica22 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Not oficially, but that waitlist update makes me think just about everyone unoficially is....

Still, the wide-eyed young man in me is optimistic....the corporate hack ain't. Good luck though :)

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby mistermister » Fri May 13, 2011 5:21 pm

with what we've heard so far about Michigan WL this year, any news about potential offers is good news

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan Waitlist 2011

Postby fingersxd » Fri May 13, 2011 5:47 pm

mistermister wrote:with what we've heard so far about Michigan WL this year, any news about potential offers is good news


It is and it isn't...Harvard supposedly has been active on their WL and NYU has had some movement too. Have not heard the same about Yale or Stanford and dont' know about Columbia.

So yes, there will be SOME trickle down, but I don't if anyone should expect more than 5-10 spots to open up.

that said, my fingers are crossed and i'm holding my breath!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], laowhynot109 and 6 guests