2011 GULC Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NewIvy

Re: 2011 GULC Waitlist

Postby NewIvy » Thu May 05, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm hating my Blackberry right now. My heart stops every time I get an email.

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Thu May 05, 2011 12:31 pm

NewIvy wrote:I'm hating my Blackberry right now. My heart stops every time I get an email.

Did this just make you get another one? :mrgreen:

NewIvy

Postby NewIvy » Thu May 05, 2011 12:44 pm

sreichel wrote:
NewIvy wrote:I'm hating my Blackberry right now. My heart stops every time I get an email.

No. Subscribing to threads would be incredibly masochistic. Wait... so is everything about law school.

Does the waitlist remind anyone else of the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes?

Congratulations! You're a super-duper special preferred finalist! Only 13 more rounds to go!

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Thu May 05, 2011 12:48 pm

NewIvy wrote:
sreichel wrote:

No. Subscribing to threads would be incredibly masochistic. Wait... so is everything about law school.

Does the waitlist remind anyone else of the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes?

Congratulations! You're a super-duper special preferred finalist! Only 13 more rounds to go!

Apparently i'm a masochist then, but it does help break up my workday, albeit with moments of panic

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu May 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Perch wrote:
cubbycake725 wrote:I e-mailed Alison with a LOCI a few weeks back. This was the response I got about an hour ago:

"As you may already know, the response to our first deposit deadline on May 1st was quite strong. We were able to make a very small number of offers to our waiting lists candidates, and we don’t anticipate that there will be any movement on the waitlist until after our second deposit deadline on June 1st. Of course, this is only the first deposit deadline, so it’s always possible that things could change as the spring and summer progress."

I'm not gonna keep my hopes too high up.

this says to me that a few offers already went out, but none have been reported here? seems unlikely. maybe she meant they made offers before the deadline?

Did everyone else get this email? If so, can we assume that if you don't see a message like this soon you're in???

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Thu May 05, 2011 5:21 pm

egirarde wrote:
Perch wrote:
cubbycake725 wrote:I e-mailed Alison with a LOCI a few weeks back. This was the response I got about an hour ago:

"As you may already know, the response to our first deposit deadline on May 1st was quite strong. We were able to make a very small number of offers to our waiting lists candidates, and we don’t anticipate that there will be any movement on the waitlist until after our second deposit deadline on June 1st. Of course, this is only the first deposit deadline, so it’s always possible that things could change as the spring and summer progress."

this says to me that a few offers already went out, but none have been reported here? seems unlikely. maybe she meant they made offers before the deadline?

Did everyone else get this email? If so, can we assume that if you don't see a message like this soon you're in???

FWIW, I didn't get the email...

Colorado31

Postby Colorado31 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:22 pm

Are you being sarcastic? If not, I highly doubt that. Seems more likely that it is a relatively good sign for those who received it... as in it's to assuage those they like in spite of the reality being that they had strong deposit numbers. The rest of us can wait in the dark.

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Thu May 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Colorado31 wrote:Are you being sarcastic? If not, I highly doubt that. Seems more likely that it is a relatively good sign for those who received it... as in it's to assuage those they like in spite of the reality being that they had strong deposit numbers. The rest of us can wait in the dark.

Vocab word of the day: assuage

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Thu May 05, 2011 5:25 pm

egirarde wrote:
Perch wrote:

I don't think we can assume that at all. Poster received the message in response to a LOCI, and it does not look like he/she received the "small group" email. I'm thinking the "small group" people might be in slightly better shape, but probably not too much since it seems like too many people received small group for us all to get seats. I received an email earlier that was almost identical but indicated waitlist movement after May 2 (first deposit deadline). It just looks like they aren't reviewing poster's application for a spot until next round.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu May 05, 2011 5:32 pm

I understand the email was a response to the LOCI, but the LOCI was sent a few weeks back. Given the timing of the response and the fact they reviewed a round of apps early this week, it's safe to assume a few of us should expect to see a similar email from them soon.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:45 pm

egirarde wrote:I understand the email was a response to the LOCI, but the LOCI was sent a few weeks back. Given the timing of the response and the fact they reviewed a round of apps early this week, it's safe to assume a few of us should expect to see a similar email from them soon.

Presumably we'll all get it.

noncontributingzero

Postby noncontributingzero » Thu May 05, 2011 5:47 pm

loblaw wrote:
I don't think we can assume that at all. Poster received the message in response to a LOCI, and it does not look like he/she received the "small group" email. I'm thinking the "small group" people might be in slightly better shape, but probably not too much since it seems like too many people received small group for us all to get seats. I received an email earlier that was almost identical but indicated waitlist movement after May 2 (first deposit deadline). It just looks like they aren't reviewing poster's application for a spot until next round.

I am much more optimistic about the chances for those who received the "small group" email. My reading of the email was "if we offered you a spot, you would take it, right?" I really can't see why they would send that type of email at this point in the game to more people than they had spots for. Why not just send the email out selectively as spots open up? Maybe I misinterpreted the "small group" email? Wishful thinking?

TheMania22

Postby TheMania22 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:52 pm

I hope it's not just wishful thinking. How much more can Georgetown toy with me/us? First I'm special within a preferred group. Then I'm among a small group in review for a few open spots. They better lemme in. Without the adjectives though I wouldn't be so (blindly?) optimistic.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:14 pm

noncontributingzero wrote:
loblaw wrote:

I am much more optimistic about the chances for those who received the "small group" email. My reading of the email was "if we offered you a spot, you would take it, right?" I really can't see why they would send that type of email at this point in the game to more people than they had spots for. Why not just send the email out selectively as spots open up? Maybe I misinterpreted the "small group" email? Wishful thinking?

It allows them to gauge the interest of that smaller group. They know that some of the people they contact aren't going to be super-enthusiastic (or respond at all), so they send it to more than they need. They risk nothing by sending it to too many people, but obviously create additional work for themselves by sending it to too few. I definitely read it the same way you did, but I don't think that means that they only sent it to people they had a spot for.

That said, GULC's handling of the entire waitlist system seems to be nonsensical and pretty non-transparent, so who the hell knows?

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu May 05, 2011 6:21 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:
noncontributingzero wrote:
loblaw wrote:

It allows them to gauge the interest of that smaller group. They know that some of the people they contact aren't going to be super-enthusiastic (or respond at all), so they send it to more than they need. They risk nothing by sending it to too many people, but obviously create additional work for themselves by sending it to too few. I definitely read it the same way you did, but I don't think that means that they only sent it to people they had a spot for.

That said, GULC's handling of the entire waitlist system seems to be nonsensical and pretty non-transparent, so who the hell knows?

+1 The small group email made me feel pretty optimistic, but I know it's not a sure thing. They said we'd have an update by the 16th and now we have an idea what that update might look like.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:37 pm

I definitely think the small group email is a good sign. Certainly better than no small group email!

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Whatr we guessing the difference is between those who received the small group email on Thursday (with no indication of when they'd hear) and those on Monday (who were given a time frame)?

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:I definitely think the small group email is a good sign. Certainly better than no small group email!

It certainly made me feel special, but now that feeling is starting to go away, COME ON GTOWN!!!

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Thu May 05, 2011 6:50 pm

Perch wrote:Whatr we guessing the difference is between those who received the small group email on Thursday (with no indication of when they'd hear) and those on Monday (who were given a time frame)?

Anyone have an opinion on the pros and cons of actually making a ranking of the waitlist and even posting online? I feel like it would give everyone a better gauge of what's going on, is it because they want to control the diversity of the class, i.e. if a URM from Oregon drops, they want to replace him/her with a similar applicant? Thoughts?

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu May 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Perch wrote:Whatr we guessing the difference is between those who received the small group email on Thursday (with no indication of when they'd hear) and those on Monday (who were given a time frame)?

I think they heard back from the Thursday group and decided to notify an additional group at the 11th hour when they decided they would dig deeper into the applicant pool. It could mean lack of interest from the Thursday group, it might mean they couldn't fill enough seats with the pool they had, or it could mean absolutely nothing.

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 pm

egirarde wrote:

I think they heard back from the Thursday group and decided to notify an additional group at the 11th hour when they decided they would dig deeper into the applicant pool. It could mean lack of interest from the Thursday group, it might mean they couldn't fill enough seats with the pool they had, or it could mean absolutely nothing.

I'm agreeing with this sentiment, but that leaves the question foe whether the Thursday is ahead of, equal to, or behind the Monday group...only time will tell I suppose.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu May 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Perch wrote:
egirarde wrote:

I'm agreeing with this sentiment, but that leaves the question foe whether the Thursday is ahead of, equal to, or behind the Monday group...only time will tell I suppose.

I'd say the groups themselves are equal. It really depends on the level of interest each applicant displayed and if they help round out the class.

gfunkera86

Postby gfunkera86 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:41 am

FYI, I received the small group email and did not receive the second email after the deposit deadline saying that the response was wrong. Interpret as you may... just find it kind of interesting how this is all panning out.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Fri May 06, 2011 9:48 am

Perch wrote:
egirarde wrote:

Thursday is ahead of Friday...Friday, tomorrow is Saturday, and Monday comes afterwards.

Perch

Postby Perch » Fri May 06, 2011 10:07 am

loblaw wrote:
Perch wrote:
egirarde wrote:

Thursday is ahead of Friday...Friday, tomorrow is Saturday, and Monday comes afterwards.

yeah...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”