2011 GULC Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Re: 2011 GULC Waitlist

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:21 pm

antonin wrote:I got the initial one from the Admis site. This e-mail told me that I am very special, but not special enough.

Then, today, I received an e-mail the waitlist account.

Additionally, my contact has the waitlist account as their e-mail.

Finally, does anyone know the answer to my questions?

How much time after an offer from the WL you have to in order to respond, and if you respond positively to their offer, does that mean that you have to withdraw from other WL's.
Don't know about how much time. I'd check last year's thread. I'm guessing no more than 2 weeks and the time will shrink dramatically the later it gets. (i.e. if it's the middle of summer, they may only give you 72 hrs.) As for staying on other waitlists, I don't think they'll *make* you withdraw, and not 100% sure they can?

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:23 pm

fatduck wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
fatduck wrote: i have not received anything from georgetown since the waitlist email february 18th.
Did yours ask you to respond to confirm your interest to remain on the WL?
nope. it said to email them if i wanted off the list.
We realize that your circumstances may change in the coming months. An e-mail will be sent to you in May asking you to reconfirm your interest and update your contact information. Meanwhile, please update us on any approaching deadlines you may be facing. If you do not wish to have your application remain under consideration, please send us an e-mail at admis@law.georgetown.edu. On behalf of the Committee, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in Georgetown.

I read it the same way as you did. Though I did send an e-mail addressed to my contact.
If i was you I would send them an e-mail tomorrow, telling them simply that you are interested and also give them some updates from your life.

Vernunft

New

Post by Vernunft » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:24 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
fatduck wrote: i have not received anything from georgetown since the waitlist email february 18th.
Flips' question still remains. Did you email them to make sure you remained on the WL? This was required after the notification email.
I never emailed them after the initial email. Mine also said just to contact them if I wanted to withdraw; otherwise, they would contact me in the spring (i.e., today). The only thing I ever sent them after getting that email was my LOCI 3 months later. Got the email today.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Vernunft wrote:
Flips' question still remains. Did you email them to make sure you remained on the WL? This was required after the notification email.
I never emailed them after the initial email. Mine also said just to contact them if I wanted to withdraw; otherwise, they would contact me in the spring (i.e., today). The only thing I ever sent them after getting that email was my LOCI 3 months later. Got the email today.
i think the SPWL people got a different email with a specific contact person and a request to confirm interest. my waitlist email did not have a specific contact (just the admis@law.georgetown.edu email), and said only reply if you want to withdraw.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:26 pm

antonin wrote:I got the initial one from the Admis site. This e-mail told me that I am very special, but not special enough.

How much time after an offer from the WL you have to in order to respond, and if you respond positively to their offer, does that mean that you have to withdraw from other WL's.
Don't know about how much time. I'd check last year's thread. I'm guessing no more than 2 weeks and the time will shrink dramatically the later it gets. (i.e. if it's the middle of summer, they may only give you 72 hrs.) As for staying on other waitlists, I don't think they'll *make* you withdraw, and not 100% sure they can?
IIRC, GULC has 2 deposits OR a binding intention of attending. So I think if you go the way of the deposits, you could ride others out, but if you don't have the $500 and $800 or whatever to spend right then and sign the contract then you probably have to withdraw

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:26 pm

fatduck wrote: i think the SPWL people got a different email with a specific contact person and a request to confirm interest. my waitlist email did not have a specific contact (just the admis@law.georgetown.edu email), and said only reply if you want to withdraw.
Yeah we got one telling use to confirm our interest with our specific contact and keep them updated on things.

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Well, if they put forward the proposition, you have 72 hours to accept our offer.
You say yes, I accept your offer.
Does that not seem binding... I write that I accept their offer. It is not like I just put money on deposit when I am asked to without even saying hi.

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:27 pm

fatduck wrote:
Vernunft wrote:
i think the SPWL people got a different email with a specific contact person and a request to confirm interest. my waitlist email did not have a specific contact (just the admis@law.georgetown.edu email), and said only reply if you want to withdraw.

We got specific contact person, but not their specific email address, so kind of worthless the "contact" info.

Dais1003

New

Post by Dais1003 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:29 pm

For those of you SPWL who received an email update today, who did you address your response to? I was unsure whether to address it to Cornblatt or my specific contact. Would have ccd but as others have mentioned, there is only one email address.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Dais1003 wrote:For those of you SPWL who received an email update today, who did you address your response to? I was unsure whether to address it to Cornblatt or my specific contact. Would have ccd but as others have mentioned, there is only one email address.
I still just have a draft email I'm editing, but I'm sending it addressed to my contact

Texas2011

New

Post by Texas2011 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:43 pm

SPWL here. What effect do you think making a visit would have?

Dais1003

New

Post by Dais1003 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:51 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Dais1003 wrote:For those of you SPWL who received an email update today, who did you address your response to? I was unsure whether to address it to Cornblatt or my specific contact. Would have ccd but as others have mentioned, there is only one email address.
I still just have a draft email I'm editing, but I'm sending it addressed to my contact
It was rather ambiguous so I went with the Dean C. Hope that was not a mistake.
"the Committee has asked that I contact you and ask that you confirm your level of interest."

Are you writing a long email detailing your interest? I kept my short and to the point. Planning to send a LOCI soon.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Dais1003 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
It was rather ambiguous so I went with the Dean C. Hope that was not a mistake.
"the Committee has asked that I contact you and ask that you confirm your level of interest."

Are you writing a long email detailing your interest? I kept my short and to the point. Planning to send a LOCI soon.
I wouldn't call mine long. It's briefly reiterating my interest and GULC and talking about my upcoming deposit deadlines. I sent an LOCI last week already. I just changed it to addressed to the Dean and the members of the admissions comm., fyi

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Texas2011 wrote:SPWL here. What effect do you think making a visit would have?
I'm SPWL and visited two weeks ago. So far it hasn't had any effect, as I'm still on the WL. However, I mostly did it because I knew I couldn't commit to going without visiting first and I didn't want to put myself in a tough position if I got accepted late in the game and couldn't arrange a visit on short notice.

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:36 pm

PWL here and no email today....

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:PWL here and no email today....
well at least i'm not the only one :D

were you ED?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:05 pm

fatduck wrote:

were you ED?
PWL and I ED'ed (actually I switched from RD to ED). I didn't send them an email to stay on PWL (they didn't ask for one).

Got my email at noon EDT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:06 pm

bk187 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

were you ED?
PWL and I ED'ed (actually I switched from RD to ED). I didn't send them an email to stay on PWL (they didn't ask for one).

Got my email at noon EDT.
weird. i did the exact same thing: applied RD, switched to ED, PWL. no email.

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:54 pm

fatduck wrote:

were you ED?
Nope...I sent a LOCI about two weeks ago

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:44 am

Withdrew from the list today. Can't turn down Berkeley. Good luck to the rest of you! :D

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am

askyemcdonald wrote:Withdrew from the list today. Can't turn down Berkeley. Good luck to the rest of you! :D
were you WL, PWL, or SPWL?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 am

Flips88 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Withdrew from the list today. Can't turn down Berkeley. Good luck to the rest of you! :D
WL. So I figured it wasn't worth waiting around for anyway.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:53 am

askyemcdonald wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
WL. So I figured it wasn't worth waiting around for anyway.
Congrats on Berkeley again. I remember how anxious you were in the CR2 thread.

onehaqq01

New

Post by onehaqq01 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:53 pm

for the special waitlist peeps - i got an email, it didn't mention the "special status" but it included a contact and asked me to "confirm my level of interest" - did the SPWL or the PL peeps all have a mention of the "special" status - or was it just an email with contact info gauging level of interest?

thanks in advance!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:56 pm

onehaqq01 wrote:for the special waitlist peeps - i got an email, it didn't mention the "special status" but it included a contact and asked me to "confirm my level of interest" - did the SPWL or the PL peeps all have a mention of the "special" status - or was it just an email with contact info gauging level of interest?

thanks in advance!
Were you just wait listed? Did it include a specific name? I'm not sure if preferred wait list people got a specific contact, but the email for SPWL explicitly says you've been placed in a special group on the preferred wait list.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”