2011 GULC Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Salty

New

Re: 2011 GULC Waitlist

Post by Salty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Salty wrote:
antonin wrote:Quick question.. you guys find out by e-mail or letter.
Does your status also update?
I found out by e-mail first and the e-mail said a letter was on the way. They said they don't normally send e-mails, but the last ASD was this coming weekend. My status updated twice after my original wailtlist.
Thanks! If you look at last year's waitlist thread (which there is a link to earlier ITT) it look like most people who wanted to get in off the special preferred waitlist did, and they didn't all get off at the same time. Just keep checking in with your contact person periodically and I'm sure you'll be able to get in!

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:14 pm

For those of you who have sent LOCI or e-mails, have you gotten any notice from Georgetown. Twice I did not get a notice... whereas from all other school I get responses.

Salty

New

Post by Salty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:43 pm

antonin wrote:For those of you who have sent LOCI or e-mails, have you gotten any notice from Georgetown. Twice I did not get a notice... whereas from all other school I get responses.
I sent my LOCI along with my initial response that I wanted to remain on the waitlist. I got what look liked a fairly standardized response saying the committee will be notified of my intent to remain on the waitlist.

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Salty wrote:
antonin wrote:For those of you who have sent LOCI or e-mails, have you gotten any notice from Georgetown. Twice I did not get a notice... whereas from all other school I get responses.
I sent my LOCI along with my initial response that I wanted to remain on the waitlist. I got what look liked a fairly standardized response saying the committee will be notified of my intent to remain on the waitlist.
Now I am really worried. I received no response at all to my LOCI, and a previous time in the process again I received no response.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Tagging.

Special Preferred WL last Friday. Emailed yesterday telling I intend to remain on the list. Will be emailing an LOCI when I get home from work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 pm

Pretty much exact same thing as Salty happened with my app. Salty are you going to the ASD?

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Really hoping to get off of SPWL. Sent a sort of terse response to the initial waitlist email just so I would be classified as wanting to go on, sent a LOCI a week later. (Hope the initial email didn't hurt my chances! I really don't know what I was thinking when I sent it...) I'm going to call 2 weeks from when I imagine the LOCI got there to check receipt and try to talk myself up a bit... I didn't get called for an interview because I applied late. Any former-SPWLers have advice?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:05 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Really hoping to get off of SPWL. Sent a sort of terse response to the initial waitlist email just so I would be classified as wanting to go on, sent a LOCI a week later. (Hope the initial email didn't hurt my chances! I really don't know what I was thinking when I sent it...) I'm going to call 2 weeks from when I imagine the LOCI got there to check receipt and try to talk myself up a bit... I didn't get called for an interview because I applied late. Any former-SPWLers have advice?
I don't think it'll hurt. My response email was "I'm very interested in remaining on the Georgetown Law wait list. I will be submitting a letter of interest tomorrow. Do you prefer email or standard mail? Thank you."

Salty

New

Post by Salty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:50 pm

FlanAl wrote:Pretty much exact same thing as Salty happened with my app. Salty are you going to the ASD?
I'm on a vacation with the fam currently so I can't, which I bummed about. I'm hoping to maybe extend my trip after the vandy asd in April and visit Georgetown then. Are you able to go this weekend?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Salty

New

Post by Salty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Really hoping to get off of SPWL. Sent a sort of terse response to the initial waitlist email just so I would be classified as wanting to go on, sent a LOCI a week later. (Hope the initial email didn't hurt my chances! I really don't know what I was thinking when I sent it...) I'm going to call 2 weeks from when I imagine the LOCI got there to check receipt and try to talk myself up a bit... I didn't get called for an interview because I applied late. Any former-SPWLers have advice?
The advice I have gotten from people is to make sure you include your reasons for wanting to attend and that are very specific. If you could just replace the name of the school with any other top 14 (like job prospects, great professors, etc.), then it's not specific enough. I added personal reasons, which I think help convince a school you would be likely to attend. I was not able to visit GULC because I live on the west coast, but I've heard visiting can help to show interest and give you something specific to write about!

Hope at least one part of that was helpful to you lol

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Salty wrote:
The advice I have gotten from people is to make sure you include your reasons for wanting to attend and that are very specific. If you could just replace the name of the school with any other top 14 (like job prospects, great professors, etc.), then it's not specific enough. I added personal reasons, which I think help convince a school you would be likely to attend. I was not able to visit GULC because I live on the west coast, but I've heard visiting can help to show interest and give you something specific to write about!

Hope at least one part of that was helpful to you lol
I just sent an LOCI. Updated my employment, talked about a specific program and prof at GULC. Talked about my alumnus interview and how it gave me some good insights into GULC. Talked about how awesome DC is. How I'll enrich the student body. Here's hoping. I'll probably send another one nearer to the May 2nd seat deposit deadline

Salty

New

Post by Salty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:16 pm

I think you should be good then! Look at the thred from last year it will make you feel better about your situation! At least it did for me!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Salty wrote:I think you should be good then! Look at the thred from last year it will make you feel better about your situation! At least it did for me!
Fingers crossed. My LSAT is a little low, but I really want GULC. I assume there will be lots of withdrawals between April 15th and May 2nd.

Has anyone ever figured out how many people comprise the "special group" on the preferred wait list?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Salty wrote:I think you should be good then! Look at the thred from last year it will make you feel better about your situation! At least it did for me!
Fingers crossed. My LSAT is a little low, but I really want GULC. I assume there will be lots of withdrawals between April 15th and May 2nd.

Has anyone ever figured out how many people comprise the "special group" on the preferred wait list?
+1

noncontributingzero

New

Post by noncontributingzero » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

+1
Last edited by noncontributingzero on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 am

noncontributingzero wrote: There are currently 50 people in the special group. They have only had the special group for the past three years. During the first two years everyone in the special group was offered admission, but not everyone in the special group was offered admission last year. I am sure it is a very cycle-dependent sort of thing, but I am fairly optimistic about our prospects.
That's good to hear. Applications were down 15% at most places IIRC. Not sure how GULC was affected. They extended their deadline didn't they?

I will flip my shit if I get in and buy a round at the nearest bar

ETA: also where are you getting the 50 number from?

noncontributingzero

New

Post by noncontributingzero » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 am

Flips88 wrote:
noncontributingzero wrote: There are currently 50 people in the special group. They have only had the special group for the past three years. During the first two years everyone in the special group was offered admission, but not everyone in the special group was offered admission last year. I am sure it is a very cycle-dependent sort of thing, but I am fairly optimistic about our prospects.
That's good to hear. Applications were down 15% at most places IIRC. Not sure how GULC was affected. They extended their deadline didn't they?

Same here about buying a round at the nearest bar.

I asked our contact at GULC.

BTW, we are having very similar cycles, at least with Berkely, Michigan, GT, Texas, and GW.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 am

noncontributingzero wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

BTW, we are having very similar cycles, at least with Berkely, Michigan, GT, Texas, and GW.
Does your email say you'll get an update by early May if not sooner?

noncontributingzero

New

Post by noncontributingzero » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:36 am

Flips88 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Does your email say you'll get an update by early May if not sooner?
Yes, my email says that.

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

+1
There are currently 50 people in the special group. They have only had the special group for the past three years. During the first two years everyone in the special group was offered admission, but not everyone in the special group was offered admission last year. I am sure it is a very cycle-dependent sort of thing, but I am fairly optimistic about our prospects.
It has been reported that they took people off the preferred list last year so did they bypass some on the special preferred?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:31 am

Emma1 wrote: It has been reported that they took people off the preferred list last year so did they bypass some on the special preferred?
I read through a lot of the 2010 WL thread and I think those may have been people that chose to be considered for Part-Time only. Not sure though. I think we'll know more as we approach mid-April/early May.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

littlebluetree

New

Post by littlebluetree » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:00 am

Oh man, this limbo is killing me! I went special preferred Feb 28 (can't believe there are only 50 people on that list!!), and sent an immediate email saying I enthusiastically still wanted to be considered. No response to that, but I emailed again about 2 weeks later when I was in DC asking if they would like for me to stop by so I could meet them in person - this time I actually wrote my email to "my contact" Alison Spada, and she replied a few days later, encouraging continued questions and updates to my file, so I sent an impassioned (and probably slightly ridiculous) LOCI, which she said would get put with my file... Is anyone else just afraid they're f*cking things up? I assumed I was a waitlist in part because my app didn't show Gtown as a first choice (because it wasn't until after my alum interview), so I've wanted to express enthusiasm and show GULC as my first choice, but I'm afraid my LOCI and emails just make me look like a spaz now!

When will they let us in??? I want to be out of waitlist world!

cubbycake725

New

Post by cubbycake725 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:54 pm

Can anyone advise me on what to say to my "contact person"? (I'm SPWL)
I sent in an LOCI two days after the waitlist so I don't have any really significant updates (one minor one but I doubt it would even count) but I would like to show that I'm still VERY interested in GULC. What do I say?

And the number 50 is giving me too much hope to be healthy.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:11 pm

People that have sent an LOCI: Have you received confirmation after you sent the LOCI? I sent one on Wednesday via email and never got a response.

antonin

Bronze

Post by antonin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:21 pm

No confirmation after LOCI, at least for me.

Beware that on the SPWL e-mail it assumes that you do not need to do much contact with them, they will do most contact with you.
That is, you can tell them if you have to go to Europe and etc. but you do not need to sent an e-mail to express your willingness to continue to be considered like you do for Upenn or NU. It will probably not hurt, but then on the other hand, they could have asked like many schools do to provide optional recs or optional essays.

I did sent a LOCI-like thing. That is primarily because I thought I had messed up something earlier in the application process.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”