You were considered a"Deny" by LSP but actually got in!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
paulinaporizkova

Gold

Re: You were considered a"Deny" by LSP but actually got in!!!

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:51 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Some of URMs on here are claiming they got into schools they should not have. What BS. Everyone knows LSP is worthless for URMs. As a general rule, URMs are good to go with LSATs over 160 and GPAs over 3.0

careful, you're walking into ban territory

planQ

Bronze

Postby planQ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Miracle wrote:172/173

below 3.0 GPA when applied

Michigan, Chicago!

What do you think made the difference? Were you in some sort of engineering/science major?

helloperson

Bronze

Postby helloperson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:14 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Some of URMs on here are claiming they got into schools they should not have. What BS. Everyone knows LSP is worthless for URMs. As a general rule, URMs are good to go with LSATs over 160 and GPAs over 3.0

careful, you're walking into ban territory

I think he meant to dispute the accuracy of LSP for URMs, not that the URMs should not have been admitted. And to that I reply

law school predictor accuracy page wrote:Underrepresented Minorities (URMs)

Target admit rates for URMs, based on how LSP renders predictions: (same method as non-URM applicants after URM boost is applied)
When LSP said Admit: >= 87%
When LSP said Strong Consider: ~ 69%
When LSP said Consider: ~ 50%
When LSP said Weak Consider: ~ 31%
When LSP said Deny: <= 13%

Based on the 4,300+ LSN 2008-09 decisions for self-identified URMs and with LSP URM feature enabled:
When LSP said Admit, 963 instances: 87.1%, +0.1%
When LSP said Strong Consider, 418 instances: 70.8%, +1.8%
When LSP said Consider, 1034 instances: 55.3%, +5.3%
When LSP said Weak Consider, 436 instances: 33.2%, +2.3%
When LSP said Deny, 1468 instances: 14.9%, +1.9%

Difference between actual URM admit rate and predicted URM admit rate: (prediction categories weighted evenly)
Average rate: +2.3%
Median rate: +1.9%

There's the "URM" box to check. DENY doesn't mean you will be denied, it means that applicants with numbers like yours are only admitted 15% of the time.

Flustercluck

Bronze

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Well, I was sub 3.0 (2.68) and below the 170 LSAT median (168) and got into Northwestern ED (<5%), so your stated reasoning leaves something to be desired.

And, to be fair, the thread title doesn't say non-URM, and many URMs don't know where they stand because their admissions profiles can vary so widely. So if a URM is discouraged based on LSP, sees the thread title, and realizes that they may in fact have a chance based on the experiences shared here by fellow URMs, then it's perfectly appropriate for URMs to post their experiences here.

As to my acceptance, URM status was almost certainly a factor, but NU could have easily carried me over to Hold status and seen if there were URMs out there who would have helped one of their medians, given that I helped neither.

I think what helped my application is that despite my GPA, my post undergrad work experience showed a huge pattern of promotion to the point where I went from an office aid to a project manager for a political consulting and public relations firm in 2 1/2 years, and these promotions literally doubled my initial salary overthat timeframe. Also, I applied early, interviewed on campus (very strong interpersonal and interview skills), did every additional essay, and have great confidence in my strength as a writer.

Without those things, I'd just be a URM on the waitlist, so keep your trolling to yourself...
Last edited by Flustercluck on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miracle

Silver

Postby Miracle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:24 pm

planQ wrote:
Miracle wrote:172/173

below 3.0 GPA when applied

Michigan, Chicago!

What do you think made the difference? Were you in some sort of engineering/science major?

Not an engineering major.

I have very unique background. very good softs. speak 6 diff. languages. etc.

My application was well put together.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Well as a sub-3.0 URM splitter, who knew where my cycle was going to go? And even with my 167, I was certainly not good to go, as Ive gotten 2 WLs (Fordham and Miami) and 1 reject (Hastings) so far.

I think this thread is good no matter if you are a URM or not. Lots of people use LSP as a tool to gauge what schools they should shoot for and many times dont send apps to schools where they get a solid DENY because they dont think they will get in.

sch0123

Bronze

Postby sch0123 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:29 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Well as a sub-3.0 URM splitter, who knew where my cycle was going to go? And even with my 167, I was certainly not good to go, as Ive gotten 2 WLs (Fordham and Miami) and 1 reject (Hastings) so far.

I think this thread is good no matter if you are a URM or not. Lots of people use LSP as a tool to gauge what schools they should shoot for and many times dont send apps to schools where they get a solid DENY because they dont think they will get in.

I'd be willing to bet your WLs and rejection were YP.

daniel5126

New

Postby daniel5126 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:30 pm

i was considered deny by LSP at several schools and was denied by all those schools.

am I doing this right?

TOMaHULK

Silver

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:37 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote::shock: Wow this thread is awesome.

I had posted on the reach thread, but unfortunately I haven't made it into any "Deny" schools yet.

So what's the lowest percent "LSP Deny" so far? Was it 6%?

Congrats all that have been able to post in here.

Makes me wonder if it's too late to thrown some additional apps out there (SRS)... :?

GWU had me at <5%

Congrats! :P Same question for you as above...You just felt like you were applying no matter what, and wouldn't be swayed?

I applied before I took the October LSAT hoping to get a 170+, but I got a 167. Then I retook in December, totally blacked out during the test, and got a 166 :x

I thought that without that 170+ GW was totally off of the table, but I didnt withdraw. I was shocked when I got the email telling me I had been admitted! I think it was a combo of my URM status and my personal statement that helped. I wrote about growing up poor and having a mother diagnosed with brain cancer, and you know how adcomms feel about a good sob story :P

Well, I was a cancer survivor and I can assume you that I haven't gotten into any DENIES yet.

So, CONGRATS man! Be proud of yourself :!:

DreamShake

Bronze

Postby DreamShake » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 pm

helloperson wrote:
law school predictor accuracy page wrote:Underrepresented Minorities (URMs)

Target admit rates for URMs, based on how LSP renders predictions: (same method as non-URM applicants after URM boost is applied)
When LSP said Admit: >= 87%
When LSP said Strong Consider: ~ 69%
When LSP said Consider: ~ 50%
When LSP said Weak Consider: ~ 31%
When LSP said Deny: <= 13%

Based on the 4,300+ LSN 2008-09 decisions for self-identified URMs and with LSP URM feature enabled:
When LSP said Admit, 963 instances: 87.1%, +0.1%
When LSP said Strong Consider, 418 instances: 70.8%, +1.8%
When LSP said Consider, 1034 instances: 55.3%, +5.3%
When LSP said Weak Consider, 436 instances: 33.2%, +2.3%
When LSP said Deny, 1468 instances: 14.9%, +1.9%

Difference between actual URM admit rate and predicted URM admit rate: (prediction categories weighted evenly)
Average rate: +2.3%
Median rate: +1.9%

There's the "URM" box to check. DENY doesn't mean you will be denied, it means that applicants with numbers like yours are only admitted 15% of the time.

I think the level of uncertainty increases as you go up the rankings, to the point that LSP does become inadequate in much/all of the T14. Since there are so few URM's at/above the 25%'s, adcomms probably have to admit some URM's below the 25%'s, and these people probably compete only with each other--which would explain why some with worse numbers than others get in. Once you go below 25%, it doesn't much matter just how low the numbers are, because they'll all have equal effect on the 25/median/75, so adcomms can actually afford to pick and choose based on softs. Thus the unpredictability, especially when we often are reduced to viewing applicants on LSN/LSP based on #'s alone.

Regardless, some of these <5% decisions are sick accomplishments anyways. It obviously takes more than just URM status to get in when your numbers are that bad.

*edited for quote fail

TOMaHULK

Silver

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:55 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

I know that's true for me. I also used Numbers website. I didn't want to "waste" app fee money on DENIES. I'm pretty sure that the schools I did not apply to would have been auto rejects however. But you're right, you never know if you never try...

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:57 pm

sch0123 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

with a sub-3 GPA, i'm gonna have to disagree with that

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:01 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
sch0123 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

As will I. LSP had me as an admit at Miami, so the WL was a bit surprising, but whatevs. Fordham was a LONG shot, and Hastings apparently was just no interested, LOL

skeeter505_2

New

Postby skeeter505_2 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:16 pm

I got into Utah with 152 and 3.44. Apparently I only had an 8% chance of being admitted, big surprise!

sch0123

Bronze

Postby sch0123 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
sch0123 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Well as a sub-3.0 URM splitter, who knew where my cycle was going to go? And even with my 167, I was certainly not good to go, as Ive gotten 2 WLs (Fordham and Miami) and 1 reject (Hastings) so far.

As will I. LSP had me as an admit at Miami, so the WL was a bit surprising, but whatevs. Fordham was a LONG shot, and Hastings apparently was just no interested, LOL

Yeah Fordham was the exception there. Miami was definitely YP with that Lsat and probably Hastings as well. I don't have any problem with URMs getting a bump, it just is the reality of the situation that a URM with a 3.2 and 164 is almost equivalent to a non-URM with a 3.5 and 169 at a lot of the schools in the 10-20 range.

Velvetvoice06

New

Postby Velvetvoice06 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 pm

I personally think all of the stats are helpful and give me a lot of hope...REGARDLESS of race.

Thanks!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 pm

skeeter505_2 wrote:I got into Utah with 152 and 3.44. Apparently I only had an 8% chance of being admitted, big surprise!

Whose 2nd account is this...? Someone fess up! :D

hokie

Bronze

Postby hokie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:56 pm

daniel5126 wrote:i was considered deny by LSP at several schools and was denied by all those schools.

am I doing this right?

lol +1: but seriously, this thread gives the people (who are waiting for a miracle) some hope!

subtle

Silver

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:31 am

Columbia!!

Suck it, LSP.

neonx

Silver

Postby neonx » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:32 am

subtle wrote:Columbia!!

Suck it, LSP.

Yea, Columbia/NYU denies. Eat it, LSP!

Also... seriously, stop following me, subtle.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
skeeter505_2 wrote:I got into Utah with 152 and 3.44. Apparently I only had an 8% chance of being admitted, big surprise!

Whose 2nd account is this...? Someone fess up! :D

it's called an alt. HTH

subtle

Silver

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:35 am

neonx wrote:

Suck it, LSP.

Also, no. I am determined to make you my new BFF. We will conquer law school together.

neonx

Silver

Postby neonx » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:38 am

subtle wrote:
neonx wrote:

Suck it, LSP.

Also, no. I am determined to make you my new BFF. We will conquer law school together.

I think a study group may be in the works. *wink*

southernsnapp

New

Postby southernsnapp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:33 am

Cornell 3.5,157!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 am

southernsnapp wrote:Cornell 3.5,157!

:shock: Very nice. Congrats to you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?