You were considered a"Deny" by LSP but actually got in!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
atlsntellect

Re: You were considered a"Deny" by LSP but actually got in!!!

Postby atlsntellect » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:14 am

Yea... with my 153 and 3.2 - I was pretty much just throwing out feelers with the expectation to have to take more time off to just focus on LSAT. I had decent softs and pretty good reasons for why my numbers were subpar and I felt that my recommendations and several years of work experience might give me a bump but didn't expect anything. I have received tons of personal handwritten notes on my acceptance letters about my PS in particular so I'm guessing that helped :). And yes...it is a random mix of schools. I applied everywhere that I got a fee waiver lol.

Female URM

LSP has me at DENY at the following and I'm in at all:

Washington & Lee (13k/year)
Tulane (20k/year)
Penn State (9k/year)
U Richmond (in but don't know $$)
U Kentucky (fellowship to reduce tuition to in-state rate and still eligible for scholly $$)

Still waiting on these - probably denies...
Cardozo (deny)
Georgia State (deny)
Indy Bloomington (weak consider)

So many people tried to talk me out of applying and I almost let them but obviously I'm glad I didn't!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:07 am

atlsntellect wrote:
So many people tried to talk me out of applying and I almost let them but obviously I'm glad I didn't!

You can see what an average LSAT and low GPA got you, people probably told you to retake and imagine what other kinds of offers you would have.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:11 am

Emory(30k)

3.12/166

Not sure if this counts.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:21 am

atlsntellect wrote:Yea... with my 153 and 3.2 - I was pretty much just throwing out feelers with the expectation to have to take more time off to just focus on LSAT. I had decent softs and pretty good reasons for why my numbers were subpar and I felt that my recommendations and several years of work experience might give me a bump but didn't expect anything. I have received tons of personal handwritten notes on my acceptance letters about my PS in particular so I'm guessing that helped :). And yes...it is a random mix of schools. I applied everywhere that I got a fee waiver lol.

Female URM

Tulane (20k/year)
Penn State (9k/year)
U Kentucky (fellowship to reduce tuition to in-state rate and still eligible for scholly $$)

Cardozo (deny)
Georgia State (deny)

congrats on w&L @ 13k a year- that's pretty damn good!

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:29 am

bport hopeful wrote:Emory(30k)

3.12/166

Not sure if this counts.

It does! That's a lot of money. Congrats!

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:32 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
atlsntellect wrote:Yea... with my 153 and 3.2 - I was pretty much just throwing out feelers with the expectation to have to take more time off to just focus on LSAT. I had decent softs and pretty good reasons for why my numbers were subpar and I felt that my recommendations and several years of work experience might give me a bump but didn't expect anything. I have received tons of personal handwritten notes on my acceptance letters about my PS in particular so I'm guessing that helped :). And yes...it is a random mix of schools. I applied everywhere that I got a fee waiver lol.

Female URM

Tulane (20k/year)
Penn State (9k/year)

Cardozo (deny)
Georgia State (deny)

congrats on w&L @ 13k a year- that's pretty damn good!

it is! they gave me zip, haha. congrats!

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 am

ktg808 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Emory(30k)

3.12/166

Not sure if this counts.

It does! That's a lot of money. Congrats!

You are far too nice to be operating on this web site.

atlsntellect

Postby atlsntellect » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:54 am

Sandro wrote:
atlsntellect wrote:

You can see what an average LSAT and low GPA got you, people probably told you to retake and imagine what other kinds of offers you would have.

Believe me, I was very unhappy with my score. I took the stupid thing twice - the first time I studied on my own for several months and the second time I did back-to-back Kaplan courses. I just feel like it was the best I could do. Not everyone can get 170's and, as much as I hate to say this, I'm one of those people.

**Edit** Thanks for all the congrats! I was pretty shocked myself as it was my first acceptance!

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:27 pm

:shock: Wow this thread is awesome.

I had posted on the reach thread, but unfortunately I haven't made it into any "Deny" schools yet.

So what's the lowest percent "LSP Deny" so far? Was it 6%?

Congrats all that have been able to post in here.

Makes me wonder if it's too late to thrown some additional apps out there (SRS)... :?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:28 pm

I was a 9% Deny at Columbia and I got in ED :D

Then again, I was international so all of the GPAs I plugged in were estimates (but they were extremely generous according to the "grade equation" chart helpfully provided by my stupid school).

Thought it was <5% but I just re-did the numbers...

santisuk

Postby santisuk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:35 pm

DENY at Berkeley.
3.66/163, non-URM
5 years WE abroad with a community development non-profit
still in shock that I got in!

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:54 pm

TOMaHULK wrote::shock: Wow this thread is awesome.

I had posted on the reach thread, but unfortunately I haven't made it into any "Deny" schools yet.

Makes me wonder if it's too late to thrown some additional apps out there (SRS)... :?

My getting into NYU was <5%

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 pm

subtle wrote:

Gettttttt it.

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:57 pm

neonx wrote:
subtle wrote:

Gettttttt it.

;) <3

lfp

Postby lfp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:59 pm

santisuk wrote:DENY at Berkeley.
3.66/163, non-URM

You give me such amazing hope! We have the same numbers, and I'm under faculty review now. Come on work experience - do the trick for me too! Did you get in after admin review or faculty review?

santisuk

Postby santisuk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:21 pm

lfp wrote:
santisuk wrote:DENY at Berkeley.
3.66/163, non-URM

You give me such amazing hope! We have the same numbers, and I'm under faculty review now. Come on work experience - do the trick for me too! Did you get in after admin review or faculty review?

I got in through CR1. Berkeley really does live up to their reputation for giving a holistic review of applications-- that's the only reason I was accepted. I doubt I would have gotten into any of its peer schools.

Good luck to you!

dubs

Postby dubs » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:37 pm

3.58/168 URM female
LSP said Deny at Harvard and Stanford and I'm in at both. Also weak consider at Columbia, and UChicago and I'm in at both.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:04 pm

GWU had me at <5%

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:59 pm

subtle wrote:

First of all congrats! :P

That's truly awesome. What inspired you to apply anyways? Just figured you'd rather at least try?

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:00 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

GWU had me at <5%

Congrats! :P Same question for you as above...You just felt like you were applying no matter what, and wouldn't be swayed?

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:04 pm

172/173

below 3.0 GPA when applied

Michigan, Chicago!

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:56 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
subtle wrote:

First of all congrats! :P

That's truly awesome. What inspired you to apply anyways? Just figured you'd rather at least try?

Well, first of all, thanks!

It probably helped that I had no idea about LSP or TLS or LSN before I submitted all of my aps. I didn't realize that fee waivers weren't an indication of whether or not you were going to get in.

I wasn't going to apply, but around Thanksgiving, NYU sent me a fee waiver. So I filled out the ap over Christmas break and submitted it around New Year's. It wasn't until mid-January that I found TLS and started to realize just how slim my chances of getting into some of the schools I applied were/are (statistically speaking).

That said, a couple of things:

I am URM and a reverse splitter, two things that LSP doesn't account well for. Also, I think that, even being a URM, I've had maybe a slightly more successful cycle than can reasonably be expected (and certainly more so than I expected) because I think I did a really good job putting together my application (although, somewhat unknowingly). I think that one of my softs is possibly stronger than I figured and I forgot that I'm an Americorp alum (which is on my résumé) because I hated my experience. Stuff like that.

Anywayyyy, I'd say do it. Why the hell not? If you can afford it/get a fee waiver, why the hell not? The worst they can do is say no, at which point you weren't going to X law school anyway.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:19 am

Female URM

Tulane (20k/year)
Penn State (9k/year)

Cardozo (deny)
Georgia State (deny)

Going to Dartmouth and working for three years in the legal industry probably didn't hurt.

A big congrats!

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

GWU had me at <5%

Congrats! :P Same question for you as above...You just felt like you were applying no matter what, and wouldn't be swayed?

I applied before I took the October LSAT hoping to get a 170+, but I got a 167. Then I retook in December, totally blacked out during the test, and got a 166 :x

I thought that without that 170+ GW was totally off of the table, but I didnt withdraw. I was shocked when I got the email telling me I had been admitted! I think it was a combo of my URM status and my personal statement that helped. I wrote about growing up poor and having a mother diagnosed with brain cancer, and you know how adcomms feel about a good sob story :P

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Some of URMs on here are claiming they got into schools they should not have. What BS. Everyone knows LSP is worthless for URMs. As a general rule, URMs are good to go with LSATs over 160 and GPAs over 3.0

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”