Waitlisted at GW Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
horn

New

Re: Waitlisted at GW

Post by horn » Thu May 05, 2011 7:09 pm

I just received another email informing me that they made offers of admission to people on the waitlist and that they most likely won't be able to make any other offers until after May 20th. Then the email ended by asking me to please either withdraw from the waitlist or to send them a loci. I never sent an loci because I like the school but I always considered it a bit of stretch for me to get in/move to DC (I live in Chicago). I'm currently planning on attending another school, but I was kind of interested in waiting out the waitlist to see if the fantasy of moving to DC for law school could come true. Anyone else get this email? If you did, are you withdrawing?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 pm

horn wrote:I just received another email informing me that they made offers of admission to people on the waitlist and that they most likely won't be able to make any other offers until after May 20th. Then the email ended by asking me to please either withdraw from the waitlist or to send them a loci. I never sent an loci because I like the school but I always considered it a bit of stretch for me to get in/move to DC (I live in Chicago). I'm currently planning on attending another school, but I was kind of interested in waiting out the waitlist to see if the fantasy of moving to DC for law school could come true. Anyone else get this email? If you did, are you withdrawing?
Basically same situation here. I sent a LOCI when I first got on the wait list and haven't done anything yet. I probably should withdraw because I have a great scholarship at UMN, but I'm having great difficulty giving up the DC fantasy. I'm not going to write another LOCI though. I can't guarantee that I'd accept a position off the waitlist, but I'd love to have to make the decision.

jjlee

New

Post by jjlee » Thu May 05, 2011 7:20 pm

horn wrote:I just received another email informing me that they made offers of admission to people on the waitlist and that they most likely won't be able to make any other offers until after May 20th. Then the email ended by asking me to please either withdraw from the waitlist or to send them a loci. I never sent an loci because I like the school but I always considered it a bit of stretch for me to get in/move to DC (I live in Chicago). I'm currently planning on attending another school, but I was kind of interested in waiting out the waitlist to see if the fantasy of moving to DC for law school could come true. Anyone else get this email? If you did, are you withdrawing?

Could you possibly copy and paste the email? I received a similar email but it did not ask for a LOCI. I live in the dc area and do not intend to withdraw.

GW ALLDAY

New

Post by GW ALLDAY » Thu May 05, 2011 7:22 pm

In off wait list (167/3.3) Monday by email. I sent a formal LOCI but also two follow up emails responding to the emails from director of admissions. I talked to some other waiters that I knew got in previously and everything I've heard and experienced leads me to believe that writing to them and getting your name familiar is key. Anyone still waiting should definitely keep writing, even just short "thank you for the update, I really am excited that I am on the list..." you get the drill. It helped me out I am sure. Cost of living is high, yea, but the location, rep, and school rank make the difference. I know a number of very successful lawyers in a number of fields. Every single one without any doubt told me to go to a top 20/best school I could get into if I got in. Dont play games with the money, there are a lot of people getting surprised by getting screwed by their scholarship after first year. I know two people that found out their school grade curve was much more ridiculous than they understood and lost theirs with 3.0 and 3.4 respectively at well respected schools. I know the money is hard to stomach, but student loan debt is the best kind to have (already have some from undergrad, they definitely work with you if your salary is low). Don't sell yourself short for money to a sig. lower ranked school! GW!!!! IM STOKED! :lol: :lol:

horn

New

Post by horn » Thu May 05, 2011 7:28 pm

I write with a wait list update.

We made offers of admission to a limited number of wait-listed applicants during the past week. The first seat deposit deadline for those admitted candidates is May 20th.

At this time, we ask that you continue to wait with us. It is likely that we will not be in a position to make any additional offers until after May 20th. That said, if admitted students decline offers or if some who already have paid first seat deposits withdraw prior to that date, we may make some offers before the last week of this month.

We appreciate that some applicants may need to proceed with making final plans for the fall and may choose not to wait with us. If you no longer wish to be considered for admission to GW Law, I would appreciate your letting me know. Or -- if GW Law continues to be your first choice -- it would be helpful if you would let me know that as well.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process. I will be in touch again by the end of next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CoastGuard3

New

Post by CoastGuard3 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:18 am

I also got admitted on Monday. Sub 160 LSAT and GPA of greater than 3.85. Non-URM. 1 Well Written LOCI. 1 Email to the Dean.

jjlee

New

Post by jjlee » Fri May 06, 2011 1:02 am

horn wrote:I write with a wait list update.

We made offers of admission to a limited number of wait-listed applicants during the past week. The first seat deposit deadline for those admitted candidates is May 20th.

At this time, we ask that you continue to wait with us. It is likely that we will not be in a position to make any additional offers until after May 20th. That said, if admitted students decline offers or if some who already have paid first seat deposits withdraw prior to that date, we may make some offers before the last week of this month.

We appreciate that some applicants may need to proceed with making final plans for the fall and may choose not to wait with us. If you no longer wish to be considered for admission to GW Law, I would appreciate your letting me know. Or -- if GW Law continues to be your first choice -- it would be helpful if you would let me know that as well.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process. I will be in touch again by the end of next week.

Thank you, that's the one I got too. Hope some places open up soon.

PuckCU06

New

Post by PuckCU06 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Just withdrew from GWU -- good luck to those of you on the wait list. It was a tough choice, but it makes me happy to think that if I'm letting go of this school, it's so that someone else who really wants it will get the call they've been waiting for... Great school!

TIMEATELL

New

Post by TIMEATELL » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:59 am

PuckCU06 wrote:Just withdrew from GWU -- good luck to those of you on the wait list. It was a tough choice, but it makes me happy to think that if I'm letting go of this school, it's so that someone else who really wants it will get the call they've been waiting for... Great school!
Thanks Puck. GWU is still my #1 choice (even though I'm still on the wait list). By the way, where will you be attending law school?

TIME

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PuckCU06

New

Post by PuckCU06 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:42 am

TIMEATELL wrote:
PuckCU06 wrote:Just withdrew from GWU -- good luck to those of you on the wait list. It was a tough choice, but it makes me happy to think that if I'm letting go of this school, it's so that someone else who really wants it will get the call they've been waiting for... Great school!
Thanks Puck. GWU is still my #1 choice (even though I'm still on the wait list). By the way, where will you be attending law school?

TIME

I'm going to Georgetown, unless Michigan also takes me off their Waitlist, but those odds are slim. The GW / Georgetown question was NOT a simple one -- frankly, I liked GW's community better and still think I'd be happier there. But, Georgetown has an alternative 1st year curriculum that fits well with what I want to do, and paying sticker, I admit the rankings factored in.

That said, I'm from DC, my dad works across the street from GW's law school and I'm planning to get an apartment in GW's neighborhood rather than living by Georgetown. The "word on the street" at GW is that Georgetown Students are "pretty miserable, competitive doubebags..." Well, I can't speak for the majority -- I don't know anyone else at Georgetown yet -- but personally, if I'm living by GW I'm looking forward to getting to know my neighbors.

-Puck

SarPear

New

Post by SarPear » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Withdrawing... freeing up a little cash. Good luck everyone! I think good news comes when least expected- hang in there.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:36 am

Wasn't there supposed to be a waitlist update this week? Anyone know anything?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 pm

law4vus wrote:Wasn't there supposed to be a waitlist update this week? Anyone know anything?
I think so...the second seat deposit was June 15th and they were waiting to see if they would have any spots that would open up after.

Hope you hear good news shortly!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:28 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
law4vus wrote:Wasn't there supposed to be a waitlist update this week? Anyone know anything?
I think so...the second seat deposit was June 15th and they were waiting to see if they would have any spots that would open up after.

Yeah, I just know that at the other WL deadlines they ended up emailing an update on Monday saying they'd make offers, and would usually make offers on that Friday. No email yet, so not sure if offers will still be made Friday.

Thanks for the well wishes, I really, really want GW.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:51 pm

law4vus wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Yeah, I just know that at the other WL deadlines they ended up emailing an update on Monday saying they'd make offers, and would usually make offers on that Friday. No email yet, so not sure if offers will still be made Friday.

Thanks for the well wishes, I really, really want GW.
My email acceptance off the WL came at 11:33AM (PST), so the offer came in the afternoon EST.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote: My email acceptance off the WL came at 11:33AM (PST), so the offer came in the afternoon EST.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully they still plan on making offers tomorrow even though they didn't send out a Monday update like they usually do.

ls24

New

Post by ls24 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:31 pm

anyone else just get an update email?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:38 pm

ls24 wrote:anyone else just get an update email?
Yep, I'm sending my response in a second.

jspri

New

Post by jspri » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 pm

got in on the 5th. there is hope!

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:56 pm

jspri wrote:got in on the 5th. there is hope!
Same

TIMEATELL

New

Post by TIMEATELL » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:10 pm

I know this sounds redundant, but has anyone heard anything today? I'm going to hold out as long as I can for GWU, but will begin making plans to attend UC Hastings.

TIME

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 pm

TIMEATELL wrote:I know this sounds redundant, but has anyone heard anything today? I'm going to hold out as long as I can for GWU, but will begin making plans to attend UC Hastings.

TIME
I imagine the next time they make offers will be toward the end of the month. Might be kind of a pain to sweat it out, but if you really want GWU then make sure they know it.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:29 am

Have people who got in the most recent round of wait lists get acceptance packages yet? I'm still waiting on mine :(

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:02 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Have people who got in the most recent round of wait lists get acceptance packages yet? I'm still waiting on mine :(
They sent mine to my parents' house (permanent address). Did you check on that?

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:38 pm

law4vus wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:Have people who got in the most recent round of wait lists get acceptance packages yet? I'm still waiting on mine :(
They sent mine to my parents' house (permanent address). Did you check on that?
That is the address I am at for the summer...I emailed them asking and they said it was sent to this address but nothing yet. Anything substantial in there?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”