Berkeley 2011 Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flips88

Diamond

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Post by Flips88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:10 am

Tagging.

Don't we have 2 more weeks to wait until we get what quartile we're in on the wait list?

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 am

Perhaps, but based on the initial response of those accepting + a friendly AdComs staffer I reckon we may be able to get anecdotal information at least - if not on the actual usage of the WL, then at least on the timeline for contacting us WLers about our rankings ...

Any volunteers? I would but I'm overseas and Berkeley opening = my middle of the night. :/

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:21 am

Just withdrew. Hope I free up a space for one of y'all!

mistermister

Bronze

Post by mistermister » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:34 pm

did anybody end up calling today?

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:11 am

mistermister wrote:did anybody end up calling today?
+1

Anyone out there? Bueller?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:50 am

i finally got up in the middle of the night to call berkeley admissions (i guess that's what people do when they can't sleep??). word: call back after may 1st and they will release your quartile percentile ranking to you.

searching for chocolate easter bunnies to gnaw on to get me by the next week and a half of anxiety ...

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Just got the waitlist e-mail, 1st quartile!:) 250 people on the waitlist.

mistermister

Bronze

Post by mistermister » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 pm

super depressed with my quartile placement

WarioLaw

Bronze

Post by WarioLaw » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:19 pm

2nd quartile. Not holding my breath.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 pm

2nd quartile. Writing them off in my mind

clevermoose

New

Post by clevermoose » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:53 pm

also put in the 2nd quartile.

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:03 pm

1st quartile!

i hope everyone currently thinking they are go to berkely will back out by the second June 1st commitment deadline. after all, the economy in CA is in shits, they shouldn't be paying THAT much for public school tuition, and, law school is just not a good investment considering the legal market right now ... best to wait a year ;)

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:15 am

hi fellow waitlisters ....

called admissions a while ago and they mentioned they weren't sure if they would even be taking ANYONE off the waitlist this year. :shock:

this wasn't that recent though, so i'm wondering if anyone else called and got a different response?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Tue May 17, 2011 11:57 am

expat17 wrote:hi fellow waitlisters ....

called admissions a while ago and they mentioned they weren't sure if they would even be taking ANYONE off the waitlist this year. :shock:

this wasn't that recent though, so i'm wondering if anyone else called and got a different response?
At the risk of being overly optimistic, I don't think this really much of anything. They don't want to say anything that could be construed as "you are probably going to get an offer of admission".

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Tue May 17, 2011 12:11 pm

a little off topic but was hoping some of you SF/berkeley people could help:

going to the area over July 4 and wanted to take my gf somewhere nice to thank her for all the shit she's put up with in the application process and all the shit she will put up with during LS. i was thinking chez panisse but am also considering alexander's steakhouse or gary danko. any opinions?

firework

New

Post by firework » Tue May 17, 2011 12:45 pm

suspicious android wrote:expat17 wrote:

called admissions a while ago and they mentioned they weren't sure if they would even be taking ANYONE off the waitlist this year.

At the risk of being overly optimistic, I don't think this really much of anything. They don't want to say anything that could be construed as "you are probably going to get an offer of admission".

I'm prone to agree with android. The official line is always that they never intend to use their waitlist. In any case we should know more June 1, right?

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:56 pm

firework wrote:

called admissions a while ago and they mentioned they weren't sure if they would even be taking ANYONE off the waitlist this year.

I'm prone to agree with android. The official line is always that they never intend to use their waitlist. In any case we should know more June 1, right?
They definitely do use the waitlist - even try to use the waitlist but its very unpredictable - see the below:

Waitlist

TLS: What is the size of Boalt’s waitlist?

Dean Tom: “Usually the waitlist is anywhere from 200-300 applicants who are ranked by the admissions committee.”

TLS: Roughly how deep into the waitlist does Boalt go?

Dean Tom: “This year, not very deep. I think the deepest we’ve ever gone was a number of years back, we took about 40 people.”

TLS: Wow, not many.

Dean Tom: “No. This year it was 12. But, it varies from year to year, and this year, because I knew how good the people were on the waiting list, I intentionally admitted fewer people up front, thinking that I could go deeper into the waiting list. But, I wasn’t able to, because the yield rate was very high. A large percentage of accepted applicants decided to attend. ”

TLS: Good for Boalt.

Dean Tom: “Yeah, well, so much for my big idea.”

TLS: If one ends up on the waitlist, is there anything that you can do to increase the likelihood of admission?

Dean Tom: “No. There’s nothing you can do to improve your chances. And we tell people that when we inform them that they are on the waiting list. The waiting list is ranked by the faculty at the time the decision is made to waitlist them, because we believe the information is fresh in their mind and they’re best able to assign a waitlist ranking at that time.”

TLS: So saying that you’re still interested doesn’t matter?

Dean Tom: “Well, that helps us, but it’s not going to improve your chances or position.”

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:59 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
firework wrote:

They definitely do use the waitlist - even try to use the waitlist but its very unpredictable - see the below:

Waitlist

TLS: What is the size of Boalt’s waitlist?

Dean Tom: “Usually the waitlist is anywhere from 200-300 applicants who are ranked by the admissions committee.”

TLS: Roughly how deep into the waitlist does Boalt go?

Dean Tom: “This year, not very deep. I think the deepest we’ve ever gone was a number of years back, we took about 40 people.”

TLS: Wow, not many.

Dean Tom: “No. This year it was 12. But, it varies from year to year, and this year, because I knew how good the people were on the waiting list, I intentionally admitted fewer people up front, thinking that I could go deeper into the waiting list. But, I wasn’t able to, because the yield rate was very high. A large percentage of accepted applicants decided to attend. ”

TLS: Good for Boalt.

Dean Tom: “Yeah, well, so much for my big idea.”

TLS: If one ends up on the waitlist, is there anything that you can do to increase the likelihood of admission?

Dean Tom: “No. There’s nothing you can do to improve your chances. And we tell people that when we inform them that they are on the waiting list. The waiting list is ranked by the faculty at the time the decision is made to waitlist them, because we believe the information is fresh in their mind and they’re best able to assign a waitlist ranking at that time.”

TLS: So saying that you’re still interested doesn’t matter?

Dean Tom: “Well, that helps us, but it’s not going to improve your chances or position.”

hmm....appreciate the re-posting of the (helpful) TLS interview I'm sure we've all seen ... but that doesn't explain their yield this year. Maybe everyone accepted, and they are more full than they thought?

p.s. not trying to perpetuate bad vibes, i'd like to wistfully agree with android as well - you're right, perhaps it's the PC response that they gave me and I'm just reading it too literally ....

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:04 pm

p.s. not trying to perpetuate bad vibes, i'd like to wistfully agree with android as well - you're right, perhaps it's the PC response that they gave me and I'm just reading it too literally ....[/quote]

Sorry :? didnt realize everyone had seen this posting just in case

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:07 pm

oh no - no sarcasm was intended! seriously, i did appreciate the re-posting .... and if anything it brings in some positive vibes that the TOM-inator (my new name for Dean Tom?) really does like to send some love to us WL folks!

firework

New

Post by firework » Tue May 17, 2011 1:10 pm

but that doesn't explain their yield this year. Maybe everyone accepted, and they are more full than they thought?
I take comfort in psuedo-analyzing LSN everyday... counting the withdraws, comparing to previous years. Yes, I know I'm looking at a highly skewed sample, but it gives me hope during this trying time :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:12 pm

expat17 wrote:oh no - no sarcasm was intended! seriously, i did appreciate the re-posting .... and if anything it brings in some positive vibes that the TOM-inator (my new name for Dean Tom?) really does like to send some love to us WL folks!
Okay good I feel better - wasn't trying to be obnoxious or anything. Good luck to all! May many people decide to attend some awful east coast school so sunshine, the beautiful bay area and no grades at T10 school can be in your future.

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:13 pm

and what does this psuedo-analyzing reveal? high acceptance rate this year or does your eight-ball and the LSN numbers show any glimmer of hope? share with the masses!

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:15 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
expat17 wrote:oh no - no sarcasm was intended! seriously, i did appreciate the re-posting .... and if anything it brings in some positive vibes that the TOM-inator (my new name for Dean Tom?) really does like to send some love to us WL folks!
Okay good I feel better - wasn't trying to be obnoxious or anything. Good luck to all!May many people decide to attend some awful east coast school so sunshine, the beautiful bay area and no grades at T10 school can be in your future.

this is what I pray to the gods for every night.

firework

New

Post by firework » Tue May 17, 2011 1:33 pm

expat17 wrote:and what does this psuedo-analyzing reveal? high acceptance rate this year or does your eight-ball and the LSN numbers show any glimmer of hope? share with the masses!
boy, this is embarrassing being called out for my obsessiveness... ok, let's see...

Last year there were ~720 applicants (8 pages of applicants, i believe there are 100 accounts/page) reporting their numbers for Berkeley on LSN. 91 people reported withdrawing (some after being accepted and some from the waitlist). According to the Berkeley Waitlist TLS thread from last year (which I posted earlier ITT), they ended up offering spots to people in the 2nd quartile of the waitlist.

This year, there are ~600 applicants reporting (although it says on the main page 713, not sure what I'm missing here). To date, ~80 have reported withdrawing. So if 91/720 withdrew last year, and to date we have 80/600 withdrawn, I'd say we're sitting in an ok spot.

I'm not really looking to argue the meaning of these numbers... like I said, the self-delusion just helps me sleep at night.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”