Berkeley 2011 Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
suspicious android

Silver

Re: Berkeley 2011 Waitlist

Post by suspicious android » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57 pm

I wonder if gpa or LSAT has anything to do with it now. They said they have a ranked waitlist, so I'm kinda assuming they just took the first 20 or whatever people that they had openings for, and if they need more in a few days or weeks they'll take the next 10 or 20 or whatever. However, this is just based on reading the e-mails they sent us, no real inside information.

Salty

New

Post by Salty » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm inclined to believe that we are ranked and they are going off of that, because I never sent a loci or anything along those lines after being waitlisted.

firework

New

Post by firework » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:52 pm

My LSAT is just about the 75th. I did send in an LOCI soon after I was waitlisted but before they released the rank. Suspicious Android, did you say you just got an email from admissions?

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:40 pm

firework wrote:My LSAT is just about the 75th. I did send in an LOCI soon after I was waitlisted but before they released the rank. Suspicious Android, did you say you just got an email from admissions?
Nah, I meant the waitlist related e-mails that everyone got, back in March and then the one in May with your quartile placement. Still waiting hopefully for another call/e-mail.

I'm very sub 25th GPA/75th+ LSAT, but I'm guessing all that doesn't matter anymore for those of us left.

clevermoose

New

Post by clevermoose » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:44 pm

got in off the waitlist!!!! dean tom gave me the great news

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:47 pm

clevermoose wrote:got in off the waitlist!!!! dean tom gave me the great news
+1

now time to start posting - ahem - spamming the berkeley thread!! who needs a roomate!!!

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Congratulations! You attending? Did you get the news today?

clevermoose

New

Post by clevermoose » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:04 pm

suspicious android wrote:

Congratulations! You attending? Did you get the news today?
yes and yes

clevermoose

New

Post by clevermoose » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm

what is weird is that i was in the 2nd quartile...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:26 pm

clevermoose wrote:what is weird is that i was in the 2nd quartile...
I guess that torpedoes my theory about taking applicants off the list according to their rank. Makes me want to write a LOCI.

firework

New

Post by firework » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:36 pm

expat17 wrote:
+1

now time to start posting - ahem - spamming the berkeley thread!! who needs a roomate!!!
Congrats expat, I told you not to give up hope!

You too, clevermoose :D

xxinfinity

New

Post by xxinfinity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:37 am

I'm in!!!

happiest moment (on of) in my life.

mistermister

Bronze

Post by mistermister » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:46 am

xxinfinity wrote:I'm in!!!

happiest moment (on of) in my life.
1st or 2nd quartile?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mistermister

Bronze

Post by mistermister » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:48 am

I guess that torpedoes my theory about taking applicants off the list according to their rank. Makes me want to write a LOCI.
when I visited the admissions office they told me there is a resident waiting list and a non-resident waiting list, each separately ranked with their own quartile. she was vague on how they are used, but it seemed to suggest the residents have priority. is everybody in so far a CA resident (or at least one for tuition purposes)?

clevermoose

New

Post by clevermoose » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:53 am

mistermister wrote:
when I visited the admissions office they told me there is a resident waiting list and a non-resident waiting list, each separately ranked with their own quartile. she was vague on how they are used, but it seemed to suggest the residents have priority. is everybody in so far a CA resident (or at least one for tuition purposes)?
I am a CA resident.

wyoung

New

Post by wyoung » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:41 am

Also a CA resident

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:02 pm

the only guy on lsn accepted off the waitlist is listed as state unreported, but he applied to five California schools and nothing else, so presumably a CA resident. Hmm, that's interesting.

I'm non-resident, so hoping they get around to that list sometime soon.
Last edited by suspicious android on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

williams55

New

Post by williams55 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:05 pm

When I stopped by admissions earlier this year the woman I spoke with confirmed the existence of a resident and nonresident waitlist. She also said they primarily pull from the resident waitlist (probably because the odds of attending are higher)

mistermister

Bronze

Post by mistermister » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 pm

hmm. this is interesting. so it seems as though they have reached the 2nd quartile of the resident list. wondering if they will jump over to the non-resident or move into the 3rd resident quartile....

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Is admission to the law school considered to be any easier for CA students overall? I know UVA seems to give VA residents a small but significant boost.

mistermister

Bronze

Post by mistermister » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 pm

suspicious android wrote:Is admission to the law school considered to be any easier for CA students overall? I know UVA seems to give VA residents a small but significant boost.
This is really the only structural advantage. Well, that and the insane out of state tuition....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

firework

New

Post by firework » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:54 pm

chiming in to say that I, too, am a CA resident. I also grew up and currently live about 25 miles from the University.

firework

New

Post by firework » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 pm

ok, general question...

I just missed a call from the school where I committed before getting off Berkeley's wait list. I didn't answer the call and there was no voice mail left, but it got me thinking... will I be flagged for being currently technically double enrolled?

I have been waiting to officially withdraw until all my ducks are in a row with Berkeley, i.e. admission email and packet received, getting my log-in to the admitted students' website and email, etc. Will this week lag time be a problem? I'm just worried that I'm violating LSAC rules in some way and becoming ineligible to enroll anywhere and both schools end up reneging my admission... (just writing that out made me realize how paranoid it must sound...right?)

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:20 pm

firework wrote:ok, general question...

I just missed a call from the school where I committed before getting off Berkeley's wait list. I didn't answer the call and there was no voice mail left, but it got me thinking... will I be flagged for being currently technically double enrolled?

I have been waiting to officially withdraw until all my ducks are in a row with Berkeley, i.e. admission email and packet received, getting my log-in to the admitted students' website and email, etc. Will this week lag time be a problem? I'm just worried that I'm violating LSAC rules in some way and becoming ineligible to enroll anywhere and both schools end up reneging my admission... (just writing that out made me realize how paranoid it must sound...right?)
Yeah, but it's undestandable given the solemn wording of many law school's messages to their prospective students. My understanding is that you're allowed to double deposit well into the summer and law schools can't say squat about it, even though some of them try to get you to think this is not allowed. I'm pulling this from Ask Asha, the Yale adcomm blog. I know of at least one law school that implies in its scholarship materials that you must withdraw from all other law schools after accepting it. It's a much lower ranked school though, I imagine they lose a lot of their applicants to better ranked schools.

williams55

New

Post by williams55 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:36 pm

JUST GOT THE CALL. freaking out...so excited!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”