IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lisjjen

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:31 pm

jakersatcal wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
jakersatcal wrote:Does anyone know if we have an admitted students' facebook group? That would be cool :-)

But then we'd lose all of our anonymity. Actually, I think there's normally a TLS meetup at 1L orientations.

Anonymity? Haha. I know that we're all awesome and amazing, but I never thought we were super heros!

I am. I'm Trollman. Once you know who I am, I lose my super trolling powers.

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 pm

checking in. Just got my acceptance letter.

congrats to everyone else. I'll most likely be going to the March 28th ASD

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:checking in. Just got my acceptance letter.

Grats!

I would love to visit USC, as a broken collarbone limited my options during my last LA visit in Feb. Does anyone know if USC offers travel stipends to attend their Law Day or other ASD's?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:00 pm

ku1185 wrote:

Grats!

I would love to visit USC, as a broken collarbone limited my options during my last LA visit in Feb. Does anyone know if USC offers travel stipends to attend their Law Day or other ASD's?

I would be interested in this as well. Also, the Patrick Bateman avatar is chillingly apropos.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:03 pm

lisjjen wrote:
ku1185 wrote:

Grats!

I would be interested in this as well. Also, the Patrick Bateman avatar is chillingly apropos.

Haha agree. A little bit of crazy helps with the whole law school thing. Anyway, I'm going to the NYC reception in a couple of hours so I'll ask when I'm there too.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 pm

ku1185 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
ku1185 wrote:

Grats!

Haha agree. A little bit of crazy helps with the whole law school thing. Anyway, I'm going to the NYC reception in a couple of hours so I'll ask when I'm there too.

Oh, I'd appreciate that.

ETA: If we wind up being classmates, I won't show you my business card.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:17 pm

tag

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Hah! My favorite scene from the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:23 pm

ku1185 wrote:Hah! My favorite scene from the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

Have you ever read the book?

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:24 pm

lisjjen wrote:
ku1185 wrote:Hah! My favorite scene from the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

Nope, can't say I have.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:29 pm

ku1185 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Nope, can't say I have.

It might make you rethink the avatar. The movie has this corny pop horror appeal to it. The book feels one hundred percent different. In the last paragraph, you realize that Easton Ellis is making a commentary on our entire generation. It's not that Patrick Bateman is some psychopath that has nothing in common with real people. Quite the opposite - we have all become sadistic and self-obsessed, willing to do anything to get ahead.

But I'm getting off thread. You mentioned going to their reception in NY. Are you based on the East Coast? If so, how does your thinking run on moving to the West Coast for LS?

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:44 pm

lisjjen wrote:
ku1185 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Nope, can't say I have.

It might make you rethink the avatar. The movie has this corny pop horror appeal to it. The book feels one hundred percent different. In the last paragraph, you realize that Easton Ellis is making a commentary on our entire generation. It's not that Patrick Bateman is some psychopath that has nothing in common with real people. Quite the opposite - we have all become sadistic and self-obsessed, willing to do anything to get ahead.

But I'm getting off thread. You mentioned going to their reception in NY. Are you based on the East Coast? If so, how does your thinking run on moving to the West Coast for LS?

hah, your description of the book reminds me of American Psycho 2: All American Girl.

I lived in New Jersey since I moved to America, and I was never more than 20 miles from NYC (except when I was in undergrad, which was more like 60 miles from NYC). To be perfectly frank, I only applied to UCLA and USC because I got fee waivers. Thankfully, I had the opportunity to visit LA in the beginning of Feb (right after my apps went out) and just fell in love. I have a lot of family out there, including my brother, and my mom wants to move out there as well. And after the most miserable winter I have ever experienced, 70 degree sunny weather was... well, I don't even know how to describe the feeling.

After I got back, I started doing a lot of research on LA schools, and the more I learned about them, the more I wanted to go. USC was particularly appealing because of one of their clinics (which is absent from other schools I'm accepted to) aligns well with my interests.

As for relocating, I know several people who moved out there from the east coast and not one of them regretted it. I'm looking forward to the change in environment =).

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:49 pm

hah, your description of the book reminds me of American Psycho 2: All American Girl.

I lived in New Jersey since I moved to America, and I was never more than 20 miles from NYC (except when I was in undergrad, which was more like 60 miles from NYC). To be perfectly frank, I only applied to UCLA and USC because I got fee waivers. Thankfully, I had the opportunity to visit LA in the beginning of Feb (right after my apps went out) and just fell in love. I have a lot of family out there, including my brother, and my mom wants to move out there as well. And after the most miserable winter I have ever experienced, 70 degree sunny weather was... well, I don't even know how to describe the feeling.

After I got back, I started doing a lot of research on LA schools, and the more I learned about them, the more I wanted to go. USC was particularly appealing because of one of their clinics (which is absent from other schools I'm accepted to) aligns well with my interests.

As for relocating, I know several people who moved out there from the east coast and not one of them regretted it. I'm looking forward to the change in environment =).[/quote]

i did the same thing, except i jumped in a little deeper. i lived in ohio and pennsylvania my whole life, visited california and fell in love. so i decided i was going to move out here and go to school here, and i took the jump and moved out here.. 3 weeks before my LSAT score came out. it was a risky move, but it seems like it's working out so far... and i love it. i am so glad i get to live here, esp. in the winter.... i don't miss the cold or snow AT ALL.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:55 pm

lol yup! I think I've had enough snow in January alone to get me through the rest of my life. However, you trade in the snow in exchange for earthquakes. Regardless, I'm going to try to move out there as soon as I'm sure that I'm going to end up at USC.

ms1987

Postby ms1987 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Checking in....just got accepted this afternoon!

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Checking in :D

mohuohu

Postby mohuohu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Still waiting anxiously for any financial aid news...

I'm very torn between going to LA and moving to Boston (BC/BU). I've never been to LA, and I've heard all kinds of horror stories. I know I like Boston, but I'm just not sure I can deal with that awful weather for 3 years.

I know I need to visit LA, but spending 3 days there hardly seems like enough grounds to make such a big decision.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:20 am

Anyone going to the ASD on April 15?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:00 am

mohuohu wrote:Still waiting anxiously for any financial aid news...

I'm very torn between going to LA and moving to Boston (BC/BU). I've never been to LA, and I've heard all kinds of horror stories. I know I like Boston, but I'm just not sure I can deal with that awful weather for 3 years.

I know I need to visit LA, but spending 3 days there hardly seems like enough grounds to make such a big decision.

L.A. bashing is popular, but so is N.Y. bashing, D.C. bashing, etc. Realistically, the concept that "you find what you're looking for" really holds true. SoCal is HUGE. You'll definitely find people you like. You would at Boston too, but it would be a lot harder to get to the beach with them. Especially in January.

santoinettea

Postby santoinettea » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:54 pm

lisjjen wrote:
mohuohu wrote:Still waiting anxiously for any financial aid news...

L.A. bashing is popular, but so is N.Y. bashing, D.C. bashing, etc. Realistically, the concept that "you find what you're looking for" really holds true. SoCal is HUGE. You'll definitely find people you like. You would at Boston too, but it would be a lot harder to get to the beach with them. Especially in January.

Haha : ). I like this point a lot! And having lived in LA (county) for most of my pre-college life, I'd just like to reaffirm how huge LA is... different cities and opportunies galore. And if all else fails, we can drink on the beach.

P.S. My sister just had a January beach wedding, and it was 80 degrees. It's a wondrous place... haha.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 pm

santoinettea wrote:Haha : ). I like this point a lot! And having lived in LA (county) for most of my pre-college life, I'd just like to reaffirm how huge LA is... different cities and opportunies galore. And if all else fails, we can drink on the beach.

P.S. My sister just had a January beach wedding, and it was 80 degrees. It's a wondrous place... haha.

bahahahahaha... would you rather be a washed up, alcoholic bum next to a barrel full of burning trash in a snowy Boston alley, or next to burning driftwood on Venice beach?

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:45 pm

so i got accepted yesterday and sent in all the scholarship/financial aid stuff. does anyone know when they inform us for either? my first deposit deadline is april 15 and i'd like not to have to make a double deposit...

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:02 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:so i got accepted yesterday and sent in all the scholarship/financial aid stuff. does anyone know when they inform us for either? my first deposit deadline is april 15 and i'd like not to have to make a double deposit...

+1. I'm assuming you're referring to GW's deposit deadline? =P

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:18 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:so i got accepted yesterday and sent in all the scholarship/financial aid stuff. does anyone know when they inform us for either? my first deposit deadline is april 15 and i'd like not to have to make a double deposit...

Before April 15th. I'm going to double up at UT and USC because I've heard a lot of extra financial aid will come out during the summer.

ms1987

Postby ms1987 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 pm

I just received an email from USC telling me about the financial aid application and such and they said "since I expect that we will begin the process of making USC Law Scholarship awards in the next few days I wanted to encourage you to submit your financial aid documents as soon as possible if you wish to be considered." So it looks like it'll be happening soon!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”