IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mohuohu

New

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Post by mohuohu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Just got in via email!

This is very exciting; USC has been among my top choices from the very beginning...the wait was a real killer.

It all comes down to the scholarship, though, basically. I just can't afford sticker + LA's cost of living.
Do I have a shot at some decent money with 167/3.7? I guess there's no way anyone could really know that, but it can't hurt to ask I guess...

jakersatcal

New

Post by jakersatcal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Got an acceptance email today- still no letter though. But I do live in Canada, and Canada Post is horrible! Still waiting to hear back from 5 more schools, was waitlisted at two and accepted at USC. Good today today!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:39 pm

Hopefully we get some scholly info next week!!!! Come on USC!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:10 pm

JJDancer wrote:Hopefully we get some scholly info next week!!!! Come on USC!
Yea... for real

santoinettea

Bronze

Post by santoinettea » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:44 pm

mohuohu wrote:Just got in via email!

This is very exciting; USC has been among my top choices from the very beginning...the wait was a real killer.

It all comes down to the scholarship, though, basically. I just can't afford sticker + LA's cost of living.
Do I have a shot at some decent money with 167/3.7? I guess there's no way anyone could really know that, but it can't hurt to ask I guess...

We have the exact same numbers! : ) I am REALLY hoping there's a scholarship offer. I really, really hope so. I just hope our #s are good enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 am

santoinettea wrote:

We have the exact same numbers! : ) I am REALLY hoping there's a scholarship offer. I really, really hope so. I just hope our #s are good enough.
I have similar numbers. I think we'll probably get something from USC. =)

mohuohu

New

Post by mohuohu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:20 am

santoinettea wrote:

I sure hope we get something. Now that the initial elation about the acceptance is wearing off, however, I realize I've got another wait of indeterminate length ahead of me. Apparently it only takes them a few weeks for this, though...

Keep us posted!

edit: spelling

lalu

New

Post by lalu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:41 pm

I hope so since I'm in your boat. I haven't heard back from USC though... :( ughhhh whyyyy

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:10 pm

i posted this question in the financial aid forum, but i didn't get a respones so i'll ask here... should i mention other scholarships i've been offered in question 8 of the scholarship app? here's the wording:
Please discuss any relevant information not mentioned above that you feel is important for the Admissions and Financial Aid Committee to know as you are considered for scholarship assistance (hardships you have overcome or are currently coping with, additional resources not mentioned above, extraordinary expenses, etc.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:28 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:i posted this question in the financial aid forum, but i didn't get a respones so i'll ask here... should i mention other scholarships i've been offered in question 8 of the scholarship app? here's the wording:
Please discuss any relevant information not mentioned above that you feel is important for the Admissions and Financial Aid Committee to know as you are considered for scholarship assistance (hardships you have overcome or are currently coping with, additional resources not mentioned above, extraordinary expenses, etc.)
Doesn't seem like that is the sort of thing they are asking for...

Not sure if it would help/hurt though.

Arelikefoxes

Bronze

Post by Arelikefoxes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:01 pm

JJDancer wrote: Doesn't seem like that is the sort of thing they are asking for...
+1

The question seems to be geared towards COL calculations in order to for them to determine need-based awards. If you want to negotiate with them, I would recommend doing that separately.

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:24 pm

thanks for the responses

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Anybody heard back on $$$ yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

lisjjen wrote:Anybody heard back on $$$ yet?
Nope... waiting to hear as well...

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 pm

In the actual admissions packet (not the initial acceptance letter) is the letter standard or is it customized or do they have a few templates?

santoinettea

Bronze

Post by santoinettea » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Anybody heard back on $$$ yet?
Nope... waiting to hear as well...
BrightLine wrote:In the actual admissions packet (not the initial acceptance letter) is the letter standard or is it customized or do they have a few templates?
I got the admissions packet yesterday, and it was personalized. No mention of money, however.

I'm hoping that I should continue holding out hope? Maybe? I submitted the scholarship application and the supplemental form on Sunday (right after acceptance on Thursday), and I'm wondering if the more substantial scholarships are given out right away with acceptance or after the finaid apps are submitted. What do you guys think?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:24 pm

No merit schollies have gone out so far. I assume no one hears about them until after they submit fafsa + USC scholly app.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

santoinettea

Bronze

Post by santoinettea » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:06 pm

JJDancer wrote:No merit schollies have gone out so far. I assume no one hears about them until after they submit fafsa + USC scholly app.
Thank you!!!!!!!! That's great news! : )

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:19 am

santoinettea wrote: I'm hoping that I should continue holding out hope? Maybe? I submitted the scholarship application and the supplemental form on Sunday (right after acceptance on Thursday), and I'm wondering if the more substantial scholarships are given out right away with acceptance or after the finaid apps are submitted. What do you guys think?
I called today. Must say that I was impressed that the Director of Financial Aid answered my questions. At UT, I was channelled to a student ambassador.

Anyways, she said that yes, they negotiate scholarships. Yes, they will consider matching. And no, scholarships haven't gone out yet. It should be about a week or two.

On another note, should I emphasize that if it costs the same I'll go to USC, or should I play it cool and act like they have to steal me from Texas?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:25 am

lisjjen wrote:
santoinettea wrote: I'm hoping that I should continue holding out hope? Maybe? I submitted the scholarship application and the supplemental form on Sunday (right after acceptance on Thursday), and I'm wondering if the more substantial scholarships are given out right away with acceptance or after the finaid apps are submitted. What do you guys think?
I called today. Must say that I was impressed that the Director of Financial Aid answered my questions. At UT, I was channelled to a student ambassador.

Anyways, she said that yes, they negotiate scholarships. Yes, they will consider matching. And no, scholarships haven't gone out yet. It should be about a week or two.

On another note, should I emphasize that if it costs the same I'll go to USC, or should I play it cool and act like they have to steal me from Texas?

Don't give up more info than you need to. Also... "a week or two?!" Damn it!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:26 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Do you mean on this forum, or when I try to negotiate? Because if the financial aid department saw this post they would know exactly who I was.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:14 am

lisjjen wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Do you mean on this forum, or when I try to negotiate? Because if the financial aid department saw this post they would know exactly who I was.

I meant when negotiating, but i guess both.

jakersatcal

New

Post by jakersatcal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Does anyone know if we have an admitted students' facebook group? That would be cool :-)

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:35 pm

jakersatcal wrote:Does anyone know if we have an admitted students' facebook group? That would be cool :-)
But then we'd lose all of our anonymity. Actually, I think there's normally a TLS meetup at 1L orientations.

jakersatcal

New

Post by jakersatcal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:19 pm

lisjjen wrote:
jakersatcal wrote:Does anyone know if we have an admitted students' facebook group? That would be cool :-)
But then we'd lose all of our anonymity. Actually, I think there's normally a TLS meetup at 1L orientations.
Anonymity? Haha. I know that we're all awesome and amazing, but I never thought we were super heros!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”