IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
n_gal
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby n_gal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 am

Puttanesca wrote:
glitter178 wrote:i got it too. confused about how to accept the loans. due to recent events with UCLA :roll: , it has been decided for me that i'll be attending USC next year


Sorry to hear about UCLA, but I guess we'll be classmates at USC in the fall! Anyone else pretty set on 'SC?


Yup, paid my deposit a few weeks ago, so I'll definitely be there :D

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 am

Anyone going to the Law School Day thing on Friday. Does the thing start at 8 AM or 830 AM? Also is there an itinerary of the day or anything online. Man I gotta wake up early and drive....

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am

Well, I got my financial aid email today. I went to the site and all it lists is loans. That's disappointing since I'm above both of their 75ths

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby JJDancer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:38 am

Has anyone (successfully or unsuccessfully) tried to negotiate a scholly offer yet? Pls share or PM me.

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:36 am

smokeylarue wrote:Anyone going to the Law School Day thing on Friday. Does the thing start at 8 AM or 830 AM? Also is there an itinerary of the day or anything online. Man I gotta wake up early and drive....


8am. But IIRC, it's just registration up until 8:30. I tried looking for an itinerary of the day online and could not find one. Did you RSVP for the event? When you did your RSVP, there should have been a schedule, and you should have signed up for some panels for the morning. I'm doing this completely from a vague memory, but I think it was registration from 7:30-8:30, some kind of welcome speech, maybe 2-3 panels, lunch, and then in the afternoon, there's a mock class and a fair to see all the student organizations and such. From 5:30-6:30, there is a closing reception.

User avatar
Stupendous_Man
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Stupendous_Man » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Well, I got my financial aid email today. I went to the site and all it lists is loans. That's disappointing since I'm above both of their 75ths



Could be wrong about this, but from what I remember, the loans are through the FAFSA, which is completely separate from USC's scholarships. USC does a mix of need/merit (which ends up being mostly merit in my opinion) and I got mys cholarship offer in a separate letter. No idea what your specific situation is, but if you're surprised by what you got you may want to call to make sure.
Puttanesca wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:Anyone going to the Law School Day thing on Friday. Does the thing start at 8 AM or 830 AM? Also is there an itinerary of the day or anything online. Man I gotta wake up early and drive....


8am. But IIRC, it's just registration up until 8:30. I tried looking for an itinerary of the day online and could not find one. Did you RSVP for the event? When you did your RSVP, there should have been a schedule, and you should have signed up for some panels for the morning. I'm doing this completely from a vague memory, but I think it was registration from 7:30-8:30, some kind of welcome speech, maybe 2-3 panels, lunch, and then in the afternoon, there's a mock class and a fair to see all the student organizations and such. From 5:30-6:30, there is a closing reception.


I know the breakfast starts at 7:30, people filter in gradually and it depends on how comfortable/eager you are meeting potential new classmates and current students in an informal setting. I can't remember what the itinerary was but you've got something going the whole day, and I really enjoyed myself. The most valuable part of the day for me was the closing reception, because I got to just chat with current students about their lives, where to live, and what to expect. Plus it's a great opportunity to look around the school and see how people treat each other, and how happy they are with their lives (keeping in mind it's finals time). Perhaps the biggest treat of all is that I will be there! ...No, but seriously, it's fun and a great way to meet people no matter where you are in your decision process.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Stupendous_Man wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Well, I got my financial aid email today. I went to the site and all it lists is loans. That's disappointing since I'm above both of their 75ths



Could be wrong about this, but from what I remember, the loans are through the FAFSA, which is completely separate from USC's scholarships. USC does a mix of need/merit (which ends up being mostly merit in my opinion) and I got mys cholarship offer in a separate letter. No idea what your specific situation is, but if you're surprised by what you got you may want to call to make sure.


Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. I love that 'tar btw

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby innernetp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:58 pm

This was the hardest decision of my life but the answer and feeling of peace came to me a few days ago; the past few days I've just been trying to verify that it's the right decision with actual data.

I'm going to be a Trojan! Well. A Trojan Tar Heel... I'll always be a Heel. :-)

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:35 pm

innernetp wrote:This was the hardest decision of my life but the answer and feeling of peace came to me a few days ago; the past few days I've just been trying to verify that it's the right decision with actual data.

I'm going to be a Trojan! Well. A Trojan Tar Heel... I'll always be a Heel. :-)


Congrats on your decision to be a Trojan! I was all set on 'SC for the fall...but the Bruins might have gotten me (or not). Decisions, decisions, decisions. But I'll always be a Trojan...

User avatar
Stupendous_Man
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Stupendous_Man » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:06 am

Once again, really excited to meet some of you tomorrow, bright and early! It's a great opportunity to get a feel for the school.

feyonce
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby feyonce » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:10 am

just got back from the diversity reception and black law student association dinner. it was very nice, and everyone at usc is so friendly and fun!! i'm looking forward to meeting all of you tomorrow.

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby neonx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:08 am

In case there's someone who's waiting, I just withdrew from the Frank Rothman Scholarship offer.

User avatar
dswimmer
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby dswimmer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:15 am

It is 1:15 a.m. and I can't sleep. I guess I will be skipping the admit day...

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby dpk711 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Just withdrew from my undergrad alma mater. Freed up some scholly $$$ and good luck to all future fellow Trojans!

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby neonx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey guys, I visited USC last week and just posted some photos if y'all want to check it out. (Beautiful campus!): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=153448

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby snichols16 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:51 am

Was unable to make the Law Day. Who wants to give me the skinny?

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby smokeylarue » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Lot of interesting panels with faculty and current students. Very informative, they said some of the sessions were videotaped and will be put online for people that couldn't make it. Pretty nice 3 course lunch (salad, chicken, chocolate cake). Also lots of breakfast goodies in the morning. People all seemed pretty chill, lot of the current students seemed honest in their enthusiasm for the school and were pretty honest. One guy was saying in USC's prime, half the people would get the high paying jobs, he says its probably a quarter now. Weather was insanely good, I didn't get to see the main undergraduate campus which I hear is beautiful. The law school building itself on the outside is pretty ugly to be honest, inside was alright. Didn't stay for the ending stuff because I wanted to beat the LA traffic haha (which I failed).

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Puttanesca » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 am

smokeylarue wrote:
snichols16 wrote:Was unable to make the Law Day. Who wants to give me the skinny?

Lot of interesting panels with faculty and current students. Very informative, they said some of the sessions were videotaped and will be put online for people that couldn't make it. Pretty nice 3 course lunch (salad, chicken, chocolate cake). Also lots of breakfast goodies in the morning. People all seemed pretty chill, lot of the current students seemed honest in their enthusiasm for the school and were pretty honest. One guy was saying in USC's prime, half the people would get the high paying jobs, he says its probably a quarter now. Weather was insanely good, I didn't get to see the main undergraduate campus which I hear is beautiful. The law school building itself on the outside is pretty ugly to be honest, inside was alright. Didn't stay for the ending stuff because I wanted to beat the LA traffic haha (which I failed).


+1. USC gave the impression that it tries to provide a lot of personalized attention in academic support, career services, etc. There was also a mock class that each of us attended - half went to the criminal law class and the other half went to property law. I went to the Property Law class (had to b/c we were assigned to a class by last name) with Professor Altman, and he made the class much more interesting than the cases themselves were. I did go to the reception at the end of the day, and it was basically an opportunity to mix and mingle with professors, current students, and other admits over some drinks. The current students seemed really happy about their experience at USC. Overall, I think the school did a good job of selling itself, but to be perfectly honest, I am not 100% sold (and this is coming from a Trojan undergrad). It might be for completely irrational personal reasons though. There was just something about the school that didn't click right with me. But those who weren't able to make it should definitely check out the videos of the panels to find out more. There were panels on student life, clinics, honors programs and clerkships, international programs, certificate programs, the Trojan network, etc.

User avatar
Redsgomarchingon
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:10 am

I'll admit I couldn't stop discretely glancing at Dean Rasmussen's and Professor Armour's haircuts...

had a great time though. Made a really good impression on me. Got along with the students better than at any other school I've visited

ku1185
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby ku1185 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:I'll admit I couldn't stop discretely glancing at Dean Rasmussen's and Professor Armour's haircuts...

had a great time though. Made a really good impression on me. Got along with the students better than at any other school I've visited

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby glitter178 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:28 pm

I loved Law Day. Everyone was so friendly, including professors and current students and the dean. Made me feel good about deciding to attend USC.

FutureInLaw
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby FutureInLaw » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:10 am

Withdrew today! $60k back in the pot. Enjoy the amazing weather everyone!

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Any of the 4/1ers have their scholly info yet?

User avatar
Redsgomarchingon
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Just withdrew. Would love to have attended, but it simply wasn't my best offer. goodluck to everyone else with their decisions, and I'm sure everyone who decides to attend will feel right at home at USC :-)

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby JJDancer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:Just withdrew. Would love to have attended, but it simply wasn't my best offer. goodluck to everyone else with their decisions, and I'm sure everyone who decides to attend will feel right at home at USC :-)

Good luck and enjoy GULC (I think that's where you are headed...)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”