IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Zabini

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Postby Zabini » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:45 pm

Anyone else having a devil of a time finding the "Program of Study Needs Update" document?

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:22 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Gah these wait times for USC are ridiculous. I'm putting a seat deposit down at the UT ASW unless USC sends out scholarship info before then. I'm sick of waiting. I got all of my UT info in November.

Agreed, USC is not doing themselves any favors. If scholarships are meant to keep top candidates from going to higher ranked schools than one would think they would want to provide that incentive as early as possible not near and certainly not after deposit deadlines.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:25 pm

BrightLine wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Gah these wait times for USC are ridiculous. I'm putting a seat deposit down at the UT ASW unless USC sends out scholarship info before then. I'm sick of waiting. I got all of my UT info in November.

Agreed, USC is not doing themselves any favors. If scholarships are meant to keep top candidates from going to higher ranked schools than one would think they would want to provide that incentive as early as possible not near and certainly not after deposit deadlines.

I really hope someone from the USC admissions office reads this thread. USC, you can still persuade me to attend, but ya only have 5 more days.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:08 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
BrightLine wrote:

I really hope someone from the USC admissions office reads this thread. USC, you can still persuade me to attend, but ya only have 5 more days.

Me too, and when they do, just know I meant "then one would think" not "than than one would think" 8)

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:11 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
BrightLine wrote:

Ditto with the UT. I sent USC financial aid an email today and they said they are making offers "very soon" I hope that means this week....

santoinettea

Postby santoinettea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:40 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:Ditto with the UT. I sent USC financial aid an email today and they said they are making offers "very soon" I hope that means this week....

So I tried checking my USC finaid award letter (figuring nothing would be there but hoping nonetheless)... This is what I got. The bold scares me. Is "very soon" this week or "May 1st"?

Thank you for visiting the USC Financial Aid Office. Your financial aid information is currently unavailable because your award has not yet been determined. Graduate students should receive their Financial Aid Summaries starting May 1 and continuing throughout the summer. Continuing undergraduate students will begin receiving their Financial Aid Summaries in June. Thank you for your patience. If you have any questions or concerns, or need to speak with a financial aid counselor, please visit http://www.usc.edu/financialaid or contact us at http://www.usc.edu/contactfao.

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm

santoinettea wrote:
swimmergirl1303 wrote:Ditto with the UT. I sent USC financial aid an email today and they said they are making offers "very soon" I hope that means this week....

So I tried checking my USC finaid award letter (figuring nothing would be there but hoping nonetheless)... This is what I got. The bold scares me. Is "very soon" this week or "May 1st"?

Thank you for visiting the USC Financial Aid Office. Your financial aid information is currently unavailable because your award has not yet been determined. Graduate students should receive their Financial Aid Summaries starting May 1 and continuing throughout the summer. Continuing undergraduate students will begin receiving their Financial Aid Summaries in June. Thank you for your patience. If you have any questions or concerns, or need to speak with a financial aid counselor, please visit http://www.usc.edu/financialaid or contact us at http://www.usc.edu/contactfao.

I got my scholarship offer well before the general USC Fin Aid offer on that website, which includes your FAFSA/Loans info.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 pm

santoinettea wrote:

Has anyone asked if that is the actual award timeline? Seems far too late.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:20 pm

bdubs wrote:
santoinettea wrote:

Has anyone asked if that is the actual award timeline? Seems far too late.

I called the office awhile back the May 1 is for graduate students (not law school- they appear to differentiate between the two). The person I talked to at USC assured me I'd be notified of my award before April 15. HTH.

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:27 pm

I just saw the bush push game on a full game classic replay the other day.... made me so mad again I declined... Reggie stop cheatin

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:28 pm

yea they couldn't possibly wait till May 1st. They'd lose all their high number people paying seat deposits elsewhere. Frankly, they need to have it out before April 1, when a lot of schools ask for first seat deposits

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 pm

Where is a good place to live around USC that isn't too much of a commute (40 min max)?

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 am

dswimmer wrote:Where is a good place to live around USC that isn't too much of a commute (40 min max)?

Manhatten Beach, or near UCLA lol

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:09 am

dswimmer wrote:Where is a good place to live around USC that isn't too much of a commute (40 min max)?

I've heard good things about Palms/Culver City (about 15-25 minute commute depending on what part of the neighborhood). I live downtown, and it's about a 10 minute drive to USC. There's little/no traffic in the mornings, and the traffic going on the freeway from downtown to USC doesn't pick up until after 2pm. I'm a current 'SC undergrad, so if you have any specific questions on the neighborhoods or housing, PM me (I don't always check the threads, so PM is better).

mohuohu

Postby mohuohu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 am

Would it be appropriate to send them merit aid negotiation email before I even get their offer? Normally I'd just wait, of course, but time is becoming a big issue at this point.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:40 am

mohuohu wrote:Would it be appropriate to send them merit aid negotiation email before I even get their offer? Normally I'd just wait, of course, but time is becoming a big issue at this point.

I was wondering the same thing, and decided to wait until I got the offer before attempting to negotiate. I don't know if that was a wise move now given that we're running out of time.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:52 am

mohuohu wrote:Would it be appropriate to send them merit aid negotiation email before I even get their offer? Normally I'd just wait, of course, but time is becoming a big issue at this point.

Wait. Definitely wait. USC is not a TTT; they are fully aware of what other law schools are doing, and are fully aware they are taking longer than most schools (looking at you, Cornell).

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:55 am

pereira6 wrote:

Wait. Definitely wait. USC is not a TTT; they are fully aware of what other law schools are doing, and are fully aware they are taking longer than most schools (looking at you, Cornell).

True. USC is still on the top of my list at the moment and will likely remain there. I just hope it's a financially viable option.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:05 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:

Manhatten Beach, or near UCLA lol

I do like that area :) How's the rent?

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:26 pm

I just booked my flight!!! Whoo free round trip. I think USC could really work.

Edit: Does anyone know where we ought to stay?

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:47 pm

innernetp wrote:I just booked my flight!!! Whoo free round trip. I think USC could really work.

How'd you get free round trip?

EDIT: i booked my flight too but it wasn't free. :?

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:56 pm

ku1185 wrote:
innernetp wrote:I just booked my flight!!! Whoo free round trip. I think USC could really work.

How'd you get free round trip?

EDIT: i booked my flight too but it wasn't free. :?

Oh I just realized that could be really ambiguous. I already had the ticket from southwest just for flying with them a lot. I don't think they give stipends.

I'm so sad I'm missing USC AND UT's ASWs :\

danielle9281

Postby danielle9281 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Are people still waiting for a response from USC? I called them and they said it could be as late as the first week in May, but I have to send my deposits in for my other schools in April. I know they are probably aware of this, but I wish I wouldn't have to put a deposit down on another school and lose out on that money if I decide to go to USC.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 pm

USC's latest email reminded me of...

--ImageRemoved--

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 pm

We're approaching the end of the week and getting as anxious as ever about financial aid. It doesn't help that I've been watching their Youtube videos. cmon USC! All I need is to not go a quarter million in debt and we can make sweet law together.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”