UCLA Wait List

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LegallyBrunette3

UCLA Wait List

Postby LegallyBrunette3 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:51 am

Figured I would start this thread. I didn't see one already so here it is. We can discuss LOCI, visiting the campus, etc.

Does anyone know if they accept people off the wait list before April?

whitman

Re: UCLA Wait List

Postby whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:27 pm

Got the waitlist about a month ago. 3.5/172 OOS. Sent in an LOCI but wouldn't go at sticker, so I'm thinking this is a no go regardless. I was pumped about the school, too...

frustrated3

Postby frustrated3 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:56 pm

WL here also.....this is my REACH school so having to wait and knowing that i have a 1/100 chance of getting accepted off the waitlist IS KILLING ME slowly..... :?

plutonium210

Postby plutonium210 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:05 pm

169/3.5

I'm also going to write a LOCI, I would consider going at sticker but it'd be tough to receive financing that's for sure.

rubbersoul89

Postby rubbersoul89 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:54 pm

168/3.49 I would love to go here but it's tough having no idea when we'll here or if we even will at all

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:49 pm

157, 3.5....totally surprised I wasn't outright rejected....obviously a reach school for me. Already wrote a LOCI, and going to visit soon and do whatever I can.

planQ

Postby planQ » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:58 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:157, 3.5....totally surprised I wasn't outright rejected....obviously a reach school for me. Already wrote a LOCI, and going to visit soon and do whatever I can.

WL 2/15 or so. 3.2/174 Instate went their for UG. Already sent in a LOCI and will likely go visit( it is like a 20 minute walk from were i live lol!

UCLA is for sure a top choice because it would allow me to stay close to home/maybe live at home.

narayan1121

Postby narayan1121 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:38 am

WL on 2/18, 168/3.4, OOS. It would be free for me if I got in, but I want to work on the east coast, so I'd still want to visit, talk to some alums from the east coast, etc., before I decided for sure. But I'm not quite ready to tell them "unequivocally" that I would attend if admitted. I will definitely send in that form they emailed, probably along with a short letter discussing some specifics about why UCLA and I are a good fit.

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:03 am

So I'm taking a tour this week and hopefully speaking to an admissions officer(reason why I'm taking the tour). I was wondering, what are you supposed to say to admissions officers? That you really want to go there or what? Are you supposed to state your case and explain to them why they should let you in? Or are you supposed to be more inquisitive? What do you guys think?

ciceroJD

Postby ciceroJD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:So I'm taking a tour this week and hopefully speaking to an admissions officer(reason why I'm taking the tour). I was wondering, what are you supposed to say to admissions officers? That you really want to go there or what? Are you supposed to state your case and explain to them why they should let you in? Or are you supposed to be more inquisitive? What do you guys think?

I am also wondering the same thing. Do the meetings tend to go more like a law school admissions interview say like, Northwestern or Vanderbilt, where they ask you standard questions and you just get to sell yourself in person as opposed to the paper of your waitlisted application?

I am planning on visiting in a few weeks, but haven't scheduled anything yet. Did you try and make an appointment with an admissions officer? Do you happen to know if they even meet with waitlisted students?

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:43 am

If you schedule a meeting with an admissions officer don't expect a formal interview when you go in. You should be the one asking the questions and trying to make some sort of lasting (positive) impression so that when they review the files again they can put a face on your file. Avoid asking WL questions that are answered in the FAQ or on the website. Ideally, you should read up and have some informed questions to ask about the aspects of the school that are most interesting to you.

bobthebuilder

Postby bobthebuilder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:58 am

also on the WL- sent in ED and found out in december. Talked to UCLA admissions and they said that students on the wait list wont be considered until earliest the VERY end of april and maybe May. They say there is no ranking system and they don't do appointments to speak with the admissions officers. If you do take a tour you are taking a chance of getting a student giving the tour or someone in admissions. They claim that it's fine to send a LOCI but its better to do so and it's fine to let them know once in a while that you are still interested, but don't go overboard.

Good luck everyone.

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:22 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:If you schedule a meeting with an admissions officer don't expect a formal interview when you go in. You should be the one asking the questions and trying to make some sort of lasting (positive) impression so that when they review the files again they can put a face on your file. Avoid asking WL questions that are answered in the FAQ or on the website. Ideally, you should read up and have some informed questions to ask about the aspects of the school that are most interesting to you.

I agree. Took a tour on Monday, and it was with a student. It was very informative, no doubt about that. I asked him what wait listed applicant should do to increase their chances and he suggested writing a LOCI, and emailing it to Schwartz. He said, "Just make sure you tell them that you're interested." I asked if scheduling an appointment would help, or taking a tour again later on when waitlist activity starts, and he said, "No, you're better off just writing a letter and following up." He said it is possible to meet with an admissions officer if you have any questions. So after the tour, I went back into the admissions office to ask if an admissions officer was available to speak, but when I got there it was so tense and quiet, people were sitting and waiting. I figured they would probably be annoyed to meet with me, like they would be polite but be thinking "OK What do you want!!???" Plus, there isn't anything I don't know about their school and the waitlist at this point, so I wouldn't have any compelling questions or things to say. I recommend everyone take a tour, because if you really, really like it, it might just push you to add that "unequivocal" to your LOCI, making it a little stronger. At this point, I'm like whatever, if it's meant to be it'll be, either way I'm happy.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:32 pm

tag

waitlist by email last week or so.

lawyerorbust

Postby lawyerorbust » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:24 am

Any guess at 163/3.86? I haven't heard anything yet!

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:41 am

Got a phone call today but missed it from (818) 614-4463. It says Northern Los Angeles but I'm not sure if that's UCLA. Why is it that even missed calls from areas even remotely close to law schools I applied to stress me out.

aryathegreat

Postby aryathegreat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:42 am

Is there any reason to send in LOCI now or even until late april, when they will actually start looking at the waitlisted applicants? It says on the FAQ that sending LOCI periodically once a month is fine, but I dont see how sending multiple letters, starting now, would make a difference?

ogurty

Postby ogurty » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:25 am

TheOcho wrote:Got a phone call today but missed it from (818) 614-4463. It says Northern Los Angeles but I'm not sure if that's UCLA. Why is it that even missed calls from areas even remotely close to law schools I applied to stress me out.

818 is the valley - not UCLA. Sorry :(

FYI to anyone waiting for a call from UCLA - almost all UCLA numbers are (310) 825-xxxx. I remember I about fainted when I saw that number pop up on my phone last February when Dean Schwartz called.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Fellow waitlister here. Just sent in my LOCI this week :)

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting off the waitlist? Also, has anyone heard of people receiving financial aid off the waitlist? Will they negotiate if you have been accepted to similarly ranked schools?

toster19

Postby toster19 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:43 pm

usctoucla

Postby usctoucla » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:33 pm

On the WL. Would love nothing more than to go to UCLA. Anybody have any tips on how to massage our applications without bugging the admissions staff?

veleda

Postby veleda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:58 am

still haven't heard anything back either way.. is this a good sign. I was told my app was still being reviewed for both UCLA and Epstein Program...but I'm not sure why they would wait so long to WL or deny..

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 am

I called the admissions office yesterday. They recommended the usual, but they also said that if people are taken off the wait list, it likely will happen in May (after the initial seat deposit is due) and July (after the second seat deposit is due).

Here's to a month more of waiting...

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 pm

people are starting to get accepted off the waitlist...............

picklebarrel

Postby picklebarrel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Checking in. Got waitlisted via email a week ago. 160/3.9

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”