Berkeley not CR!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
helloperson

Re: Berkeley not CR!

Postby helloperson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:48 pm

whitman wrote:
helloperson wrote:Dinged an hour ago. Best of luck to the rest of you.

Non CR2- UR 1-18

Oh shit. Sorry dude.

I hate polite rejection letters. If they actually regretted not offering admission you know what they would do? Offer you admission. I would much rather the letter just say. "dear mr. Helloperson, fuck your face. Sincerely, berkeley admissions."

aesis

Postby aesis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:49 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:So, more thoughts for those obsessing (I'm looking at you Kelesands and Whitman)...

It looks like most people in this thread are from CA. Some aren't, and some don't list their residency. I know that the chances of in-state or out of state applicants getting accepted is roughly equal, but Berkeley does try to get a class composed of about 50% California residents.

This is what I'm getting at: Maybe Berkeley is waiting to see how many CA residents they accept out of CR1 and CR2. In other words, they'll see how many CA residents they accept and then use the rest of us (who seem to have fairly strong applications) as residency balancers. Not enough CA? Boom! Accept a few CA residents from this thread. Too much CA? Boom accept the few non-CA from this thread.

Just a total speculation theory. Grasping at straws here.

**Dean Tom if you are reading this we love you**

If anything I think OOS'ers are at an advantage because they'll pay more. I've never read of them trying to get at least 50% CA residents. CA residents have no advantage is what I understand.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:19 pm

aesis wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:So, more thoughts for those obsessing (I'm looking at you Kelesands and Whitman)...

It looks like most people in this thread are from CA. Some aren't, and some don't list their residency. I know that the chances of in-state or out of state applicants getting accepted is roughly equal, but Berkeley does try to get a class composed of about 50% California residents.

This is what I'm getting at: Maybe Berkeley is waiting to see how many CA residents they accept out of CR1 and CR2. In other words, they'll see how many CA residents they accept and then use the rest of us (who seem to have fairly strong applications) as residency balancers. Not enough CA? Boom! Accept a few CA residents from this thread. Too much CA? Boom accept the few non-CA from this thread.

Just a total speculation theory. Grasping at straws here.

**Dean Tom if you are reading this we love you**

If anything I think OOS'ers are at an advantage because they'll pay more. I've never read of
them trying to get at least 50% CA residents. CA residents have no advantage is what I
understand.

We don't. I sometimes wish I was a VA resident. I probably would have gotten into UVA if I had been.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Their website says:

Q: Do in-state applicants have higher preference than those from out of state?

A: You have a roughly equal chance of being admitted regardless of your residency. We strive to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but we offer admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents.

I don't think OOS residents pay so much more that they would prefer them that much. On the other hand, they are a state school so striving for 50% CA students makes sense.

mikstew

Postby mikstew » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Non CR2- UR 1-18

did you get CR1, though?

this thread is for non-CR's

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 am

mikstew wrote:

Non CR2- UR 1-18

did you get CR1, though?

I know. No cr1 or cr2 unless cr1 happened without any kind of notification.

I was expecting a ding, but the expediency makes me question my overall application strength. Particularly since no one else in this thread has gotten a ding. I'm going to continue drinking copious of alcohol.

I sincerely hope you all have better luck than I.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:11 am

helloperson wrote:
mikstew wrote:

Non CR2- UR 1-18

did you get CR1, though?

I know. No cr1 or cr2 unless cr1 happened without any kind of notification.

I was expecting a ding, but the expediency makes me question my overall application strength. Particularly since no one else in this thread has gotten a ding. I'm going to continue drinking copious of alcohol.

I sincerely hope you all have better luck than I.

I think you just applied too late. Berkeley is known for being extraordinarily preferential to early applicants. I wouldn't worry about our other apps.

mikstew

Postby mikstew » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:22 am

but the weird part is that he got dinged and he was UR 1/18. There are thousands who applied before and have not yet been dinged. The order is a mystery to me.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 am

I think they pretty much have dinged folks who applied in January very quickly.

But you're right, the process is mysterious. I have no idea why they're waiting to ding me.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:09 am

I got the regular UR email 12/13.

No CR as of yet... No ding...Nothing since the under review email 12/13.

No idea.

RedItalus10

Postby RedItalus10 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:30 am

Still just UR since 11/29....my numbers are 3.7/166...im a CA resident, non-URM, UCLA undergrad....pretty strong softs...i wrote a PS, DS, 2 addenda, 4 LORs, and 2 Evals....im undecided on whether or not i have enough new stuff to talk about for a LOCI or whether or not it is even appropriate at this point....my friend last year got WLed in March..she wrote an LOCI after getting that decision..for me every day that I hear nothing from Berk is a good day...i never thought i had any real chance of getting in....just adding to the discussion and thought id give insights to me as an applicant, so we can figure out what the demographics of the non-CR people are

good luck to those of us in Limbo! Berkeley would be a dream for me!

shnoop

Postby shnoop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Is it me or does it feel as if everyone who didnt go to CR2 and went under review on the same day has the same fate at the same time. For example many UR 1/18's got rejected yesterday via email. before that UR 1/11's had similar fates all on the same day. I'm a UR 1/25 that didnt go to CR so my rejection is coming up :(. I really thought i was at lease worth a CR. I guess getting into ucla and usc 3 weeks after going complete made me too overconfident....

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:19 pm

shnoop wrote:Is it me or does it feel as if everyone who didnt go to CR2 and went under review on the same day has the same fate at the same time. For example many UR 1/18's got rejected yesterday via email. before that UR 1/11's had similar fates all on the same day. I'm a UR 1/25 that didnt go to CR so my rejection is coming up :(. I really thought i was at lease worth a CR. I guess getting into ucla and usc 3 weeks after going complete made me too overconfident....

Not to knock yo logic... but when I called / emailed Berkeley recently they said that my UR date was actually a few weeks later than what their status checker online listed me at. What does that mean? I don't know. Don't necessarily trust the status checker? Lol.

CCCCMMMMMOOONNNN DEan ToM!

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Why are we still alive?!

The only thing I can think of is that I wrote a 4 page PS and a Why Berkeley that made it very clear that it was far and away my top choice. Maybe they're going to reward enthusiasm? Otherwise, I was pretty sure I was a near auto-ding with 3.5/172.

mikstew

Postby mikstew » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm UR 1/25 with 3.9/165. I have no illusions about my stats but I did write a strong, passionate PS - not Berk specifically, but I did target a specific program. I only applied to Berk and Stanford since they are the only two schools that I would attend if granted admission for a number of reasons that I will not get into here.

But it seems to be that most individuals in this thread have less than stellar stats -- either a low LSAT (like me), low GPA (like poster above) or both, so it appears there is a reason we are grouped together. I can see one of two things that could happen to us. First, we are all getting rejected, in the order we applied (we're up to 1/18 now) because our numbers just don't cut it. Or, more optimistically, there is something about each of our applications, whether it is the PS, LORs, our backgrounds or some impossible combination of other factors that, despite our stats, that is making it difficult for the committee to make a decision.

I prefer to hope we fall into category B, but only time will tell.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:25 pm

How dare you insult my GPA, broheme. I'm UR 12/6, so that blows a hole in that one. I guess that means it's option B!

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:33 pm

mikstew wrote:I'm UR 1/25 with 3.9/165. I have no illusions about my stats but I did write a strong, passionate PS - not Berk specifically, but I did target a specific program. I only applied to Berk and Stanford since they are the only two schools that I would attend if granted admission for a number of reasons that I will not get into here.

But it seems to be that most individuals in this thread have less than stellar stats -- either a low LSAT (like me), low GPA (like poster above) or both, so it appears there is a reason we are grouped together. I can see one of two things that could happen to us. First, we are all getting rejected, in the order we applied (we're up to 1/18 now) because our numbers just don't cut it. Or, more optimistically, there is something about each of our applications, whether it is the PS, LORs, our backgrounds or some impossible combination of other factors that, despite our stats, that is making it difficult for the committee to make a decision.

I prefer to hope we fall into category B, but only time will tell.

I thought we established most peeps here had fairly good stats? I'm 169/3.8--not great, but not a splitter, and certainly in Berkeley range.

ugbadger

Postby ugbadger » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:42 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:I thought we established most peeps here had fairly good stats? I'm 169/3.8--not great, but not a splitter, and certainly in Berkeley range.

I was under that impression as well. I'm 171/3.8, which from a purely numbers standpoint I would think would keep me from being an auto-ding. Then again Berkeley is hard to read, so I could very easily be wrong.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm really having a hard time understanding why January applicants are concerned when they haven't received word. If you were that concerned about Berkeley you should've applied before January. Week 10 waiting starts Monday for me. I didn't even expect an answer until around now. 8-12 weeks is the timeframe given. So I'm halfway through, and I went UR 12/13.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:42 pm

kelesands wrote:I'm really having a hard time understanding why January applicants are concerned when they haven't received word. If you were that concerned about Berkeley you should've applied before January. Week 10 waiting starts Monday for me. I didn't even expect an answer until around now. 8-12 weeks is the timeframe given. So I'm halfway through, and I went UR 12/13.

I hear what you're saying. I actually applied in early december (still late for Berk, I know), but didn't go UR until early January because they were waiting for my December LSAT score. Taking the Dec. LSAT definitely slowed down my cycle, but I'm glad that I did it. I'm sure that there are a lot of people in a similar position.

That said, I think we're concerned because we're all in the same position. There are people who applied later (late January, even February) who have been dinged or gone to CR. So even though you applied much earlier, we are still worried for the same reason: the fact that something should have happened to our application by now.

It sucks that you've waited even longer, but at the end of the day it looks like we're in the same boat.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:48 pm

By Tuesday of next week I will hit 3 months exactly. I am wondering if I should contact them if I still haven't heard after 3 months.

I fully expect to be rejected and I would rather know sooner than later.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:50 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:By Tuesday of next week I will hit 3 months exactly. I am wondering if I should contact them if I still haven't heard after 3 months.

I fully expect to be rejected and I would rather know sooner than later.

Whatevs, i'm rooting for you.

mikstew

Postby mikstew » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:28 pm

[/quote]

I thought we established most peeps here had fairly good stats? I'm 169/3.8--not great, but not a splitter, and certainly in Berkeley range.[/quote]

Well hold on now, let's not jump to conclusions. Here is a quick tally of this thread's members (known):

3.6/168
3.8/169
3.7/166
3.5/172
3.9/165
3.8/171
3.99/166
3.9/161
3.78/168

I agree with you, these are certainly all great stats overall, but when fit us into the rest of the Berkeley apps, these numbers become not bad but "not stellar". And to the poster above, I did not mean to insult! I was just feeling a little inadequate with my own stats :P

But on another note, I am leaning more and more towards a chronological accept/deny schedule, but with exceptions. If you look at LSN for Berk, with CompleteDate descending (http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... order=desc) , you can see that as of right now, 1/18 appears to be the break point for their evaluations. Most apps complete before this date have had a decision, while apps complete after this date are still pending. Of course there are exceptions, both pre- and post-1/18, but in general, a chronological response seems to be the case.

Is there method to this madness after all?
Last edited by mikstew on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:29 pm

Wow, I am the lowest person stats wise here. 161/3.9

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:30 pm

mikstew wrote:

Well hold on now, let's not jump to conclusions. Here is a quick tally of this thread's members (known):

3.6/168
3.8/169
3.7/166
3.5/172
3.9/165
3.8/171
3.99/166

I agree with you, these are certainly all great stats overall, but when fit us into the rest of the Berkeley apps, these numbers become not bad but "not stellar". And to the poster above, I did not mean to insult! I was just feeling a little inadequate with my own stats :P

But on another note, I am leaning more and more towards a chronological accept/deny schedule, but with exceptions. If you look at LSN for Berk, with CompleteDate descending (http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... order=desc) , you can see that as of right now, 1/18 appears to be the break point for their evaluations. Most apps complete before this date have had a decision, while apps complete after this date are still pending. Of course there are exceptions, both pre- and post-1/18, but in general, a chronological response seems to be the case.

Is there method to this madness after all?

I'm UR 11/1 with a 168/3.78. I guess I'm special like my mommy always said.
Last edited by Arbiter213 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”