Berkeley not CR!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
queenlizzie13

Re: Berkeley not CR!

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Definite reach for me. I extended my PS for Berkeley, but it wasn't the full 4. I thought I would at least get CR review though, but my #'s are bad, with the exception of the GPA

aacharya

Postby aacharya » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:I mean, what do people here feel about their application?

Personally, I didn't feel like an auto admit, but I felt like my application was very strong. I don't want to be arrogant (and I'm trying to stay objective), but I thought I had a CR worthy application. I wrote an excellent 3 1/2 page personal statement for Berkeley, and I also wrote a great 1 page "Why Berkeley" essay. My numbers aren't incredible (169/3.8), but they are pretty good too, certainly in Berkeley's range. My LORs were solid. I'm a California resident and went to a UC undergrad (UCLA). I guess I don't have any other amazing softs--no peace corp, no minority status, I'm not a concert pianist etc... but I put together an altogether great application for them. I thought I would go to CR.

So I dunno? For the people who are left here, what did you feel about your application? Was Berkeley a reach? Or did you think you might be auto-admit or Cr?

Just putting the feelers out there.

I thought I had a mostly strong app -- 170, good graduate work/work experience, solid LoRs -- but a mediocre GPA (3.69) that might potentially be mitigated by its being in a technical field. But after reading the threads here it seems like Berkeley values GPA more than other schools (damn) and really values early applications (damn damn). So now I'm steeling myself for an eventual ding, but still holding out some hope...

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:28 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:I mean, what do people here feel about their application? Personally, I didn't feel like an auto admit, but I felt like my application was very strong.

I was expecting to be considered in CR. When I didn't get it, at first I was sure it would be a rejection. But since I've been looking over my application, I don't see it as an auto-reject. Unless there was something there they just really weren't into. My only drawbacks were a low first LSAT and being only a year out from a top 100 institution. But I have great softs and in-range numbers.

And when I was wondering about us as I group I looked through our stats. We all look like strong candidates if you ask me!

Here's to seeing you in the fall! :wink:

Edited for excessive use of 'really'
Last edited by kelesands on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Time to stop the obsession. :(
Last edited by kelesands on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Well, looking at LSN last year,

it seems like a few more people were notified on friday (aka tomorrow), and several more (all rejects) were notified a week later. So, yea, there's that.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Oh, boy. Well if I don't get a call soon I'll know what to expect. :cry:

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:40 pm

So we think tomorrow or not at all?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Anyone want to email Dean Tom and just ask what's up? Lol. I'm serious. He seems nice. He could bite.

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:45 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Anyone want to email Dean Tom and just ask what's up? Lol. I'm serious. He seems nice. He could bite.

Nose goes.

Boom!

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:45 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Anyone want to email Dean Tom and just ask what's up? Lol. I'm serious. He seems nice. He could bite.

Ha! I love this plan.

...you first 8)

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

kelesands wrote:

Ha! I love this plan.

...you first 8)

So NorCalBruin, you'll let us know?

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:35 pm

you should probably just show up at his house with a gift or something. i hear he is into baseball, maybe bring a baseball bat? just knock on his door with the bat; i'm sure he's friendly.

who is ready for tomorrow's dings?

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:18 am

I'll never be ready for a ding from Berk :(

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:26 am

kelesands wrote:I'll never be ready for a ding from Berk :(

Agreed. Definitely not ready.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Maybe they can smell my desperation. It's time to walk away from the computer/phone. It's not even into the work day in Cali yet! If you see me online, whitman... shoo me away.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:39 pm

So, more thoughts for those obsessing (I'm looking at you Kelesands and Whitman)...

It looks like most people in this thread are from CA. Some aren't, and some don't list their residency. I know that the chances of in-state or out of state applicants getting accepted is roughly equal, but Berkeley does try to get a class composed of about 50% California residents.

This is what I'm getting at: Maybe Berkeley is waiting to see how many CA residents they accept out of CR1 and CR2. In other words, they'll see how many CA residents they accept and then use the rest of us (who seem to have fairly strong applications) as residency balancers. Not enough CA? Boom! Accept a few CA residents from this thread. Too much CA? Boom accept the few non-CA from this thread.

Just a total speculation theory. Grasping at straws here.

**Dean Tom if you are reading this we love you**

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:03 pm

I am a California resident!

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:04 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:So, more thoughts for those obsessing (I'm looking at you Kelesands and Whitman)...
It looks like most people in this thread are from CA. Some aren't, and some don't list their residency. I know that the chances of in-state or out of state applicants getting accepted is roughly equal, but Berkeley does try to get a class composed of about 50% California residents.

This is what I'm getting at: Maybe Berkeley is waiting to see how many CA residents they accept out of CR1 and CR2. In other words, they'll see how many CA residents they accept and then use the rest of us (who seem to have fairly strong applications) as residency balancers. Not enough CA? Boom! Accept a few CA residents from this thread. Too much CA? Boom accept the few non-CA from this thread.

Just a total speculation theory. Grasping at straws here.

**Dean Tom if you are reading this we love you**

I don't know what you're talking about.

Edit: Also, aside from the admissions decisions, which are accurate, my profile is full of misinformation, and I change it all the time. No real reason why - I know no one is monitoring my posts or anything. The clit lit part is accurate, though, of course. I'm a male southerner born and raised - maybe there's a shortage of southerners?
Last edited by whitman on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:15 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:So, more thoughts for those obsessing (I'm looking at you Kelesands and Whitman)...

EXACTLY. I'm a FL resident.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:29 pm

No movement today...

freaking me out...

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:43 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:So I dunno? For the people who are left here, what did you feel about your application? Was Berkeley a reach? Or did you think you might be auto-admit or Cr?

UCB is definitely a reach for me with my #s (3.6/168), but I was sort of expecting to go into CR based on the strength of my softs & my personal background. That said, I'm sure everyone thinks their softs are great and that they have a unique story. I was really happy with my overall application, but now that I haven't made CR, I'm convinced I'm in the auto-reject pile (again, those #s + late application date... just not great).

That said, I'd really try not to over analyze this group. Some of us are here for different reasons, right?

Also, for the geographical theory-- I'm from the NE.

Good luck everyone! I'm okay with my cycle so far and I know this was a hail mary pass, so I'm not too upset, but I can tell how badly you guys want this and I'm definitely rooting for you!

jeep4lulu

Postby jeep4lulu » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:55 pm

UR 1/3... no CR. Is it hopeless. :(

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Dinged an hour ago. Best of luck to the rest of you.

Non CR2- UR 1-18

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 pm

helloperson wrote:Dinged an hour ago. Best of luck to the rest of you.

Non CR2- UR 1-18

Oh shit. Sorry dude.

LiveFreeOrLaw

Postby LiveFreeOrLaw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 pm

I got rejected but never received the CR email. Does this mean I never made it through the door?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”