Berkeley not CR! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NorCalBruin

Silver

Re: Berkeley not CR!

Post by NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:37 am

Are we sure we will hear by Friday? I mean, we know CR1 will.

I actually went and visited Boalt Hall today... but I was too scared to ask, lol.

helloperson

Bronze

Post by helloperson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 am

NorCalBruin wrote:Are we sure we will hear by Friday? I mean, we know CR1 will.

I actually went and visited Boalt Hall today... but I was too scared to ask, lol.
I actually have no clue. Is there a 3rd committee review that we might have to look forward to? I was under the impression that there was not, but I don't actually know.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 pm

I wish they would just reject us already.

kelesands

New

Post by kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 pm

No way, we're getting in! :-)

Also, Boalt's twitter:
BoaltAdmissions: To all the nervous Committee folks out there: We will be posting decisions today on the ASO and sending them out via email.

So I'm thinking they might have some spare time to give us some calls ;)

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:46 pm

kelesands wrote:No way, we're getting in! :-)

Also, Boalt's twitter:
BoaltAdmissions: To all the nervous Committee folks out there: We will be posting decisions today on the ASO and sending them out via email.

So I'm thinking they might have some spare time to give us some calls ;)
Yeah, "Committee folks" - we're not committee folks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:49 pm

When I talked to the admissions office they said that just because you're not a part of CR1 or CR2 does not mean that your application has already been looked at or that a decision has been made. She said its possible that you could get a decision this week, but it's just as likely it could be later in the month or in March.

So. Yep.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm

But then again, not to disagree with myself (or the very nice admissions lady), but it looks like almost everyone that went complete in January got a decision at the same time that CR people did. There are definitely exceptions though.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 pm

I just don't understand. I'm UR 12/6 with nothing. People that applied afterward have been dinged, accepted, and submitted to CR - so why would I get nothing? Waitlist?

swl56

Bronze

Post by swl56 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:02 pm

whitman wrote:I just don't understand. I'm UR 12/6 with nothing. People that applied afterward have been dinged, accepted, and submitted to CR - so why would I get nothing? Waitlist?
+1 with exact same dates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ugbadger

New

Post by ugbadger » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:14 pm

swl56 wrote:
whitman wrote:I just don't understand. I'm UR 12/6 with nothing. People that applied afterward have been dinged, accepted, and submitted to CR - so why would I get nothing? Waitlist?
+1 with exact same dates.
UR 12/6 as well. I'm quite confused by this lack of movement.

kelesands

New

Post by kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Berk doesn't seem like the type to hold onto apps UR since dec (i'm 12/13) to then reject. (This is my hope!) I'm at least looking for a waitlist :?

I know my faith is blind, but I'm really hoping we have good news coming for us :)

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Please love us, Berkeley.

I will 100% attend if you just let me. How hard is that? What harm will it do?

kelesands

New

Post by kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:21 pm

whitman wrote:Please love us, Berkeley.

I will 100% attend if you just let me. How hard is that? What harm will it do?
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Can you even get waitlisted if you don't go to CR?

I mean think about it, why would the dean himself waitlist anyone? It seems like those are EXACTLY the type of people he would send to CR. People with strong applications that aren't auto-admits. That's pretty much what they are there for. Am I right? It seems that to get waitlisted you would have to go to CR first.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Can you even get waitlisted if you don't go to CR?

I mean think about it, why would the dean himself waitlist anyone? It seems like those are EXACTLY the type of people he would send to CR. People with strong applications that aren't auto-admits. That's pretty much what they are there for. Am I right? It seems that to get waitlisted you would have to go to CR first.
Shit. Good point. So we're screwed.

kelesands

New

Post by kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Yeah that makes perfect sense. I forgot in that moment that we're either in an auto-ding or admit pile. But I still see potential that we're on a "wait" just not a waitlist. Something about our applications they keep around to fill a hole somewhere.

waitlisteddd

New

Post by waitlisteddd » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:50 pm

UR 1/27

i'm reaching for a waitlist here...please berk?

i know i haven't been waiting that long, but it is killing me nevertheless...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:52 pm

kelesands wrote:Yeah that makes perfect sense. I forgot in that moment that we're either in an auto-ding or admit pile. But I still see potential that we're on a "wait" just not a waitlist. Something about our applications they keep around to fill a hole somewhere.
It just doesn't make sense, though. If we were auto-dings, why wouldn't we be dinged already? They've dinged plenty of people that applied after me. And so far none of us have been accepted today...

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:56 pm

waitlisteddd wrote:UR 1/27

On that same token, if we were auto-admits... why wouldn't we have been admitted already?

I don't know. Maybe they are just holding our applications to see if there is a niche they need to fill. Or maybe they just haven't looked at them yet (which I doubt).

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:58 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:
waitlisteddd wrote:UR 1/27

On that same token, if we were auto-admits... why wouldn't we have been admitted already?

I don't know. Maybe they are just holding our applications to see if there is a niche they need to fill. Or maybe they just haven't looked at them yet (which I doubt).
Maybe...but I find that hard to believe seeing as I have a UR date in Nov. I am guessing I will be dinged tomorrow. Maybe they lost my app?

kelesands

New

Post by kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:02 pm

whitman wrote:It just doesn't make sense, though. If we were auto-dings, why wouldn't we be dinged already? They've dinged plenty of people that applied after me. And so far none of us have been accepted today...
This is exactly why I've been feeling so positive.

To me the options are:
We're either being held onto to fill a possible later need
Or in the scenario where we're in either an auto-ding or auto-admit pile, I would definitely presume the latter because of the many rejections that have gone out since we've been under review.

But, in all fairness, I spoke to a visiting law professor (not from berk) who mentioned that rejections can come very late.
I don't see Berkeley being this type of school, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kelesands

New

Post by kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Confession: I've been re-reading my resume and berk PS...
Trying to decide what they're going to decide.

It's not healthy :shock:

kelesands

New

Post by kelesands » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Update: status checkers on CR1 have just changed, many to rejections. Mine still stays intact!! I hope it's the same for all of you :) I know we're not in CR1, but at least we might've survived another batch of rejections!

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:21 pm

I mean, what do people here feel about their application?

Personally, I didn't feel like an auto admit, but I felt like my application was very strong. I don't want to be arrogant (and I'm trying to stay objective), but I thought I had a CR worthy application. I wrote an excellent 3 1/2 page personal statement for Berkeley, and I also wrote a great 1 page "Why Berkeley" essay. My numbers aren't incredible (169/3.8), but they are pretty good too, certainly in Berkeley's range. My LORs were solid. I'm a California resident and went to a UC undergrad (UCLA). I guess I don't have any other amazing softs--no peace corp, no minority status, I'm not a concert pianist etc... but I put together an altogether great application for them. I thought I would go to CR.

So I dunno? For the people who are left here, what did you feel about your application? Was Berkeley a reach? Or did you think you might be auto-admit or Cr?

Just putting the feelers out there.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:22 pm

kelesands wrote:Update: status checkers on CR1 have just changed, many to rejections. Mine still stays intact!! I hope it's the same for all of you :) I know we're not in CR1, but at least we might've survived another batch of rejections!

Still UR 12/6. Agh. I wantz it so bad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”