Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools that you have been admitted into, and will not be attending?

I've noticed that some people on LS Numbers have sent withdrawals before having a decision, is there a reason for this?

kitchuel
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby kitchuel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm not sure if it is necessary but it is a nice thing to do. If you send in a withdrawal someone on the wait list has a better chance of being admitted.
Last edited by kitchuel on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ScarryBakhtin
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools that you have been admitted into, and will not be attending?

I've noticed that some people on LS Numbers have sent withdrawals before having a decision, is there a reason for this?


Courtesy. For every person who withdraws, another can be admitted.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:32 pm

So, most of my schools are requesting a deposit or notice of intention to attend by April 15th (although I'm sure an extension can be given by some), is this the date you should wait for and then send out the withdrawal notices after?

Also, maybe a bit off topic - but is the seat deposit binding (non ED) or can you send to multiple schools and simply be out the money once a final decision is made (to keep options open)?

Thank for responses.

jeremysen
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:36 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:So, most of my schools are requesting a deposit or notice of intention to attend by April 15th (although I'm sure an extension can be given by some), is this the date you should wait for and then send out the withdrawal notices after?

Also, maybe a bit off topic - but is the seat deposit binding (non ED) or can you send to multiple schools and simply be out the money once a final decision is made (to keep options open)?

Thank for responses.


Send out as many seat deposits as you'd like (unless a school specifies otherwise...though I've never heard of a non-ED situation in which that happened)

But since seat deposits are like $500? that money might be better spent just visiting that school.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 pm

jeremysen wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:So, most of my schools are requesting a deposit or notice of intention to attend by April 15th (although I'm sure an extension can be given by some), is this the date you should wait for and then send out the withdrawal notices after?

Also, maybe a bit off topic - but is the seat deposit binding (non ED) or can you send to multiple schools and simply be out the money once a final decision is made (to keep options open)?

Thank for responses.


Send out as many seat deposits as you'd like (unless a school specifies otherwise...though I've never heard of a non-ED situation in which that happened)

But since seat deposits are like $500? that money might be better spent just visiting that school.


With a couple of schools it may come down to scholarship dollars negotiations and location. So there may be a need to make more than one, which may be worth it to have your options remaining. One school told me they could definetely give me an extention on that deadline, which is nice.

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby slax » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Columbia specifically said they frown upon multiple seat deposits and reserve the right to rescind your offer of admission if you do it

User avatar
fastforward
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby fastforward » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Schools are generous about giving extensions on most post-admission deadlines for the asking. Just explain the situation. They'll work with you.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 pm

kitchuel wrote:I'm not sure if it is necessary but it is a nice thing to do. If you send in a withdrawal someone on the wait list has a better chance of being admitted.


No they won't. And withdrawing early is stupid. I know a TLSer who got a massive increase in merit aid right before the deposit date.

Don't withdraw early. You don't benefit from it at all.

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby bigjinjapan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kitchuel wrote:I'm not sure if it is necessary but it is a nice thing to do. If you send in a withdrawal someone on the wait list has a better chance of being admitted.


No they won't. And withdrawing early is stupid. I know a TLSer who got a massive increase in merit aid right before the deposit date.

Don't withdraw early. You don't benefit from it at all.


This is probably true, though it seems counter-intuitive. Schools are unlikely to be taking people off the WL before they've finished going through the applicant pool, so you're probably not doing WL people any good by withdrawing before the deposit date.

But think about it in terms of prioritization: if you've been accepted to a school that--regardless of money--you would prefer to attend than others you've gotten into, then it's probably better to go ahead and withdraw from those. It doesn't hurt you, and at the worst it makes it easier on the admissions folks (who have done you a good turn in accepting you) with putting together their class. I expect most people have a list of low-interest schools they applied to just because they got a waiver...

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Postby agora139 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:57 am

bigjinjapan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kitchuel wrote:I'm not sure if it is necessary but it is a nice thing to do. If you send in a withdrawal someone on the wait list has a better chance of being admitted.


No they won't. And withdrawing early is stupid. I know a TLSer who got a massive increase in merit aid right before the deposit date.

Don't withdraw early. You don't benefit from it at all.


This is probably true, though it seems counter-intuitive. Schools are unlikely to be taking people off the WL before they've finished going through the applicant pool, so you're probably not doing WL people any good by withdrawing before the deposit date.

But think about it in terms of prioritization: if you've been accepted to a school that--regardless of money--you would prefer to attend than others you've gotten into, then it's probably better to go ahead and withdraw from those. It doesn't hurt you, and at the worst it makes it easier on the admissions folks (who have done you a good turn in accepting you) with putting together their class. I expect most people have a list of low-interest schools they applied to just because they got a waiver...


+1.. my october lsat was significantly lower than my december score, and as a result i sent applications to schools that i now would hardly consider. upon receiving a good scholarship from one of my top choices, i withdrew a few of those apps just because even if i were offered full rides, i still wouldn't take it over my other option.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Lhcarter22, studyingeveryday, xnsch and 14 guests