IN AT Georgetown PART-TIME c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
srvyorgeneral

New

Re: IN AT Georgetown PART-TIME c/o 2015

Post by srvyorgeneral » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:33 am

IN (As of last night)! So happy to see Dean Cornblatt's note and super pumped that I have a great option here in my home town.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:36 am

srvyorgeneral wrote:IN (As of last night)! So happy to see Dean Cornblatt's note and super pumped that I have a great option here in my home town.
hey congrats!!!

DrVictorFreeze

New

Post by DrVictorFreeze » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Went complete 1/28. Rocking the 3.27/167 so I need a hope and a prayer. It would be real sweet though.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 am

What does the 1L schedule look like for PT students at GULC?

Congrats to all those recently accepted.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:46 am

haus wrote:What does the 1L schedule look like for PT students at GULC?

Congrats to all those recently accepted.
when i asked waterman he said....
waterman wrote:Schedule is pretty simple (5:45=7:45) everyday. So each class is two hours.

A few tweaks:

1. First semester, every other Friday was off
2. Once a week we also have a class (LRW) that goes 755-955. That's for the whole year, but both semesters that class ends about a month before finals.

Also they're changing the PT program for next year, cutting it back from 120 to 80 students, and from 24 to 21 credits. So my guess is (unconfirmed) that you'd either have

1.every friday off, all year or
2.never have that second night class that goes from 755-955

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:25 pm

hipstermafia wrote: Also they're changing the PT program for next year, cutting it back from 120 to 80 students, and from 24 to 21 credits. So my guess is (unconfirmed) that you'd either have
Thanks for the info.

A 33% reduction in the next class, ouch, that is likely going to make it tougher to earn a slot. Do you happen to know what the motivation is for such a large change?

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:15 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
srvyorgeneral wrote:IN (As of last night)! So happy to see Dean Cornblatt's note and super pumped that I have a great option here in my home town.
hey congrats!!!
Thank you! very much! Pretty sure this is where I'll be unless one of my hail marys works out.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:30 pm

haus wrote:
hipstermafia wrote: Also they're changing the PT program for next year, cutting it back from 120 to 80 students, and from 24 to 21 credits. So my guess is (unconfirmed) that you'd either have
Thanks for the info.

A 33% reduction in the next class, ouch, that is likely going to make it tougher to earn a slot. Do you happen to know what the motivation is for such a large change?
usnwr ranking part time and full time programs together

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm

This thread hasn't seen any love in a while--thought I'd throw out a question. Given the class size reduction of 120ish - 80ish, is anyone else assuming that a transfer application to the FT program will be harder this year?

While I'm very interested in GULC, I want to go in with my eyes open that the transfer-to-FT option may be off the table completely. That said, if GULC is the best school I get into (and since I'm a DC resident), it's still the likeliest of options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:22 pm

srvyorgeneral wrote:This thread hasn't seen any love in a while--thought I'd throw out a question. Given the class size reduction of 120ish - 80ish, is anyone else assuming that a transfer application to the FT program will be harder this year?

While I'm very interested in GULC, I want to go in with my eyes open that the transfer-to-FT option may be off the table completely. That said, if GULC is the best school I get into (and since I'm a DC resident), it's still the likeliest of options.
I think it absolutely will be harder to transfer to FT, perhaps not impossible, but I think it's best to assume if you're starting PT you will finish PT.

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:48 am

Anyone want to visit civpro with me on March 1 (PT)?

TR Fan

New

Post by TR Fan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Admitted to GULC PT and checking in. Pleasure to make your acquaintance, everyone!

Srvyogeneral, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I can't make the class on March 1, but would appreciate hearing your thoughts on what you find.

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:02 pm

TR Fan wrote:Admitted to GULC PT and checking in. Pleasure to make your acquaintance, everyone!

Srvyogeneral, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I can't make the class on March 1, but would appreciate hearing your thoughts on what you find.
Good class. Spoke to a friend beforehand who said the prof wasn't the most dynamic, but found the class pretty damn fascinating (and he had fantastic anecdotes). Was a little shocked to see so many students on gchat/shopping online...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm

srvyorgeneral wrote:
TR Fan wrote:Admitted to GULC PT and checking in. Pleasure to make your acquaintance, everyone!

Good class. Spoke to a friend beforehand who said the prof wasn't the most dynamic, but found the class pretty damn fascinating (and he had fantastic anecdotes). Was a little shocked to see so many students on gchat/shopping online...
awesome to hear!

TR Fan

New

Post by TR Fan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:49 pm

srvyorgeneral wrote: Good class. Spoke to a friend beforehand who said the prof wasn't the most dynamic, but found the class pretty damn fascinating (and he had fantastic anecdotes). Was a little shocked to see so many students on gchat/shopping online...
Thanks! I've heard that some professors at GULC have banned laptops from the classrooms; I wonder if your experience was typical.

TR Fan

New

Post by TR Fan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:46 am

Just scheduled a visit to CivPro on the evening of the 15th. Looking forward to it!

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Still on the WL, but was able to bump my stats up to 3.7/167. One thing I was worried about was the 24 hours thing, but if that gets reduced to 21 things will perhaps be easier. I will be on the WL until the last possible minute! Here's to a longer summer! Another thing I wasn't too fond of is the cost for PT. It's still 40k a year!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

840e

New

Post by 840e » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Last edited by 840e on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

fetalposition

New

Post by fetalposition » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Hey guys, I'm a recent admit and I'll definitely be seeing everyone in the Fall. Just a few questions if anyone can answer them: first, I won't have any trouble getting Grad Plus loans right? (i.e., not any more trouble than I would in the full-time program). And second, is the graduate housing a rip off? It seems a little overpriced, but that might be outweighed by the incredibly convenient location.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:06 pm

fetalposition wrote:Hey guys, I'm a recent admit and I'll definitely be seeing everyone in the Fall. Just a few questions if anyone can answer them: first, I won't have any trouble getting Grad Plus loans right? (i.e., not any more trouble than I would in the full-time program). And second, is the graduate housing a rip off? It seems a little overpriced, but that might be outweighed by the incredibly convenient location.
Congrats!

edit: you can borrow up to the COL amount on the student budget (and whatever your loans say)

As for housing on campus, Ive heard people say it is worth it for the location and also people who have said it is not. Probably more of a personal decision more than anything else :)
Last edited by hipstermafia on Wed May 18, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:07 pm

OH and I'm definitely attending!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TR Fan

New

Post by TR Fan » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:26 pm

When I sat in on an evening class the other week (great professor, by the way, though his name escapes me), I learned that along with the other upcoming revisions to the part time program it will become significantly harder for members to switch into the full time division after their first year.

Has anyone else heard anything more on the matter? The prospect of not being able to switch into full time, combined with a great trip to Cornell's ASW this weekend, is making me less inclined towards GULC.

fetalposition

New

Post by fetalposition » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:39 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
fetalposition wrote:Hey guys, I'm a recent admit and I'll definitely be seeing everyone in the Fall. Just a few questions if anyone can answer them: first, I won't have any trouble getting Grad Plus loans right? (i.e., not any more trouble than I would in the full-time program). And second, is the graduate housing a rip off? It seems a little overpriced, but that might be outweighed by the incredibly convenient location.
Congrats!

You shouldn't have any more trouble getting loans than you would in the full time program, but I dont think you can take out as much as full time students can for COL expenses. There is a budget somewhere for full time and part time on the admitted students website and i seem to remember the part time assuming housing being around 300 a month rather than 1100 for full time students. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this!

As for housing on campus, Ive heard people say it is worth it for the location and also people who have said it is not. Probably more of a personal decision more than anything else :)
Hmm that COL thing kind of sucks. Oh well. Does anyone have some apartment recommendations? Also, do part-timers have to same access to OCI?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:45 pm

TR Fan wrote:When I sat in on an evening class the other week (great professor, by the way, though his name escapes me), I learned that along with the other upcoming revisions to the part time program it will become significantly harder for members to switch into the full time division after their first year.

Has anyone else heard anything more on the matter? The prospect of not being able to switch into full time, combined with a great trip to Cornell's ASW this weekend, is making me less inclined towards GULC.
I wonder what % PT applicants to GULC would rather be in the FT program.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:21 pm

TR Fan wrote:When I sat in on an evening class the other week (great professor, by the way, though his name escapes me), I learned that along with the other upcoming revisions to the part time program it will become significantly harder for members to switch into the full time division after their first year.

I was also told this, I think they want a part time class that stays part time all four years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”