IN at Vandy 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
coug11

Bronze

Re: IN at Vandy 2014

Post by coug11 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 pm

whitman wrote:
coug11 wrote:I'm deciding between Vandy and GULC right now... Since I'm planning on government work after, and GULC's LRAP is MUCH better than Vandy's, GULC definitely has the $$$ advantage right now. I would consider Duke, too, if I get off their PR List.
Really? What are the differences?
At Vandy, they will forgive 100% of your loans as long as you are making under $45K for 10 years, then it gradually increases the amount that you have to pay. At GULC, they will forgive 100% of your loans as long as you make under $75K for 10 years (which almost anyone in government or public interest will) and then it goes up gradually after that. Since the median starting salary for government jobs is $45K (from what I read), Vandy will only be forgiving 1st year's loans, while GULC will forgive 100% of loans at the school.

If it makes a difference, Duke's LRAP is at $60K, I believe.

sunyoo25

New

Post by sunyoo25 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 pm

Dropping in to say hi. :D
I'm also deciding between UT v Vandy!!
I think scholly amounts will be the deal breaker for me, barring (unlikely) acceptances from super-reaches.
I still haven't received my packet from UT and Vandy $$ haven't gone out yet, so I'll just have to wait and see.

I'm an international student so I won't make it to the ASW...
I'd really appreciate feedback from those who do make it there!!
Thanks in advance :)

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:42 am

top of my list

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 am

coug11 wrote:[quote="akiliYou going in April or March?
April. March one is on top of the UT one (bummer, I heard rumors about a Predators game)[/quote]

I'm going to April, too! Just bought my plane ticket Tuesday![/quote]

I will see you all there....I chose the student option....I feel like I can get more info that way.

See you all there!!! (april)

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:07 am

I'm going to the April one. I need to be super sold before I put $750 down.

Right now, I'm having a booger of a time convincing myself to pay 200k for UMich or Cornell. Granted, it's UMich and Cornell. It's also 200k. 'nuf said.

I'm phsyched about the idea of spending 3 years in Austin. Less phsyched about spending the 10 years after that in DFW or Houston.

On the other hand, I'm phsyched about Vandy's job opportunities. Less phsyched about spending 3 years in Nashville.

Anybody else thinking these things through?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:55 am

lisjjen wrote:I'm going to the April one. I need to be super sold before I put $750 down.

Right now, I'm having a booger of a time convincing myself to pay 200k for UMich or Cornell. Granted, it's UMich and Cornell. It's also 200k. 'nuf said.

I'm phsyched about the idea of spending 3 years in Austin. Less phsyched about spending the 10 years after that in DFW or Houston.

On the other hand, I'm phsyched about Vandy's job opportunities. Less phsyched about spending 3 years in Nashville.

Yeah Nashville's so bad that Jack White, Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes, and The Black Keys all had to move here to see for themselves.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:24 am

Going to the one in March and attempting to stay with a student. will let everyone know how it goes.

right now my best options are UVA v. Vandy v Wustl with a few other possibilities. Im hoping for money to make this easier/harder. shrug.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:51 pm

whitman wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I'm going to the April one. I need to be super sold before I put $750 down.

Yeah Nashville's so bad that Jack White, Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes, and The Black Keys all had to move here to see for themselves.
Yeah, major league sports, competitive D1 SEC sports, awesome music (not just country...), cute southern girls...

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:10 pm

akili wrote:Also, has anyone else signed up for one of the ASDs?

The form asks if I want to stay overnight with a law school student. I have no idea if that's a good idea or not... lol. What are yall doing?
I'm probably doing the 8th, and I do want to stay with a current law student OR a fellow applicant. I'd love to pick the brains of people doing the law school thing. I know nobody in law school or applying to law school now, so I want an opportunity to meet some people other than talking to them on TLS haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:17 pm

akili wrote:
April. March one is on top of the UT one (bummer, I heard rumors about a Predators game)
As the source of this rumor, I would like to confirm where it came from.

It discussing visiting Vandy with the guy who handles it, I half-jokingly mentioned trying to catch a Preds game while I'm there and he said "actually, we're looking to incorporate the Thursday night game on the March ASW" or something like that.

Update!
The schedule for the March ASW has the Predators game on Thursday night! Ugh UPenn why do you conflict :(

See y'all in April!

P.S. There's a Preds game On April 8th, the Friday of the ASW. If anyone was interested in skipping the last event of the day to go check out the city/hockey game, let me know. I'd probably be down.

Lou9

Bronze

Post by Lou9 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:25 pm

99% sure I'll be attending the April date. I'm staying with my brother, but I'm debating whether I should fly or drive.

jwrash

Bronze

Post by jwrash » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Anyone planning on bringing spouse, significant other, parent(s), friend to the ASW?

Lou9

Bronze

Post by Lou9 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:50 pm

jwrash wrote:Anyone planning on bringing spouse, significant other, parent(s), friend to the ASW?
I would like to take my husband, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to miss work yet. This is why my plans are only 99%. Stupid job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:57 pm

pereira6 wrote:
akili wrote:
April. March one is on top of the UT one (bummer, I heard rumors about a Predators game)
As the source of this rumor, I would like to confirm where it came from.

It discussing visiting Vandy with the guy who handles it, I half-jokingly mentioned trying to catch a Preds game while I'm there and he said "actually, we're looking to incorporate the Thursday night game on the March ASW" or something like that.

Update!
The schedule for the March ASW has the Predators game on Thursday night! Ugh UPenn why do you conflict :(

See y'all in April!

P.S. There's a Preds game On April 8th, the Friday of the ASW. If anyone was interested in skipping the last event of the day to go check out the city/hockey game, let me know. I'd probably be down.
Where did you see the schedule for the March ASW out of curiosity?

Edit: never mind. Found it. It got coupled with another email in my gmail (the way it couples "conversations") so I missed it.
Last edited by sanguar on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:04 pm

On a related note, would anybody be interested in splitting a room at the Embassy Suites?

backtothebeat

New

Post by backtothebeat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 pm

when did you guys receive e-mails about the ASW? So far the only e-mail I've received is about the admitted students alumni reception.

ps - im going to the alumni reception in boston and most likely the ASW in april

jwrash

Bronze

Post by jwrash » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:34 pm

lisjjen wrote:On a related note, would anybody be interested in splitting a room at the Embassy Suites?
I'm down for splitting a room with one or several people. Planning on going in April.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jwrash

Bronze

Post by jwrash » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:35 pm

backtothebeat wrote:when did you guys receive e-mails about the ASW? So far the only e-mail I've received is about the admitted students alumni reception.

ps - im going to the alumni reception in boston and most likely the ASW in april
I got the email yesterday. Decision letter received on 2/8.

backtothebeat

New

Post by backtothebeat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:38 pm

jwrash wrote:
backtothebeat wrote:when did you guys receive e-mails about the ASW? So far the only e-mail I've received is about the admitted students alumni reception.

I got the email yesterday. Decision letter received on 2/8.
hmm i got the letter on the same day but no e-mail yet

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:45 pm

pereira6 wrote:
whitman wrote:

Yeah, major league sports, competitive D1 SEC sports, awesome music (not just country...), cute southern girls...
Really???? lol just playing being an URM I was a little worried about going to Vandy (or southern schools period) but one of my bosses, whose an AA female and Vandy law grad said it is a very progressive town and you just fill like family. I definitely wouldn't mind living there for three years.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 pm

I was going to bring the parents (footing the bill) but the according to them paying for the plane tickets is a waste of money until I know where I want to go....so they arent coming.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coug11

Bronze

Post by coug11 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Mail from Vandy today. Thought it might be scholly info, since it's Feb, but instead it's just an updated Law Career Services booklet... Oh well, maybe next week!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:31 pm

coug11 wrote:Mail from Vandy today. Thought it might be scholly info, since it's Feb, but instead it's just an updated Law Career Services booklet... Oh well, maybe next week!
I think schollies won't come until the end of the month. I think maybe they'll send them out with need-based aid too (to accompany the Feb. 15th need-based priority deadline)

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:33 am

I just changed my desktop background to the Vandy logo :lol: :oops:

If they just offer me even a little scholarship, I'm pretty much sold.

bep244

New

Post by bep244 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Long-time TLS reader, first-time poster.

I'm currently also deciding between Vandy, UT, and Duke. As much as I love Austin, as a UT undergrad alum, living in a new city for a few years seems pretty appealing. I'll be in Nashville for the April ASW. See you guys there!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”