Choosing a law school Chicago style (I prefer this thread)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What is the better law school to attend overall?

Chicago-Kent College of Law
51%
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
49%

Total votes: 108

Philosopher1

Re: Choosing a law school Chicago style (I prefer this thread)

Postby Philosopher1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 am

runnergal wrote:"When I compared the two I personally thought that Loyola was better in a multitude of ways but to each his own."

Well, it's clear that many people, including those at US News disagree with you.

As I've learned, the rankings, especially for the two schools I started the discussion on, fluctuate. I wonder if there is a very slight more prestigious feel to Loyola because it accepted 30.0% of its candidates and has always had a low acceptance rate, whereas Kent accepted 45.4% of the applicants and has seemed to always accept around that percent.

I'm sure this shouldn't be a factor at all. Perhaps an ego boost if one attends Loyola! I still do not know where I will attend.

Spack

Postby Spack » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:42 am

Philosopher1 wrote:
RockyIII wrote:
Philosopher1 wrote:Kent's ahead of Loyola in the rankings 61 to 71. Kent's 4th in Trial Advocacy and 10th in Legal Writing. Loyola is 9th in Health Law. Interesting factors

Those should not be factors in your decision

Thx RockyIII. I'll actually just go by the TLS vote tally for the poll I put up -- that'll settle it. Oh wait it's 47-46 Loyola. Really is a toss of a coin! :)

As of now, Loyola has offered up the $, and Kent has not. Like said, waiting on some other Midwest surprises. We'll see how it all goes. Exciting times ahead.

Leverage the Loyola scholly for more money at Kent! I'm sure you can get them to cough up something if it means not sending you to a competitor school. If Kent gives more money and you still haven't made a decision try to use that with Loyola. I imagine going back and forth could be tedious but it's better than going to Kent (if you end up choosing it) for sticker.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Spack wrote:
Philosopher1 wrote:
RockyIII wrote:
Philosopher1 wrote:Kent's ahead of Loyola in the rankings 61 to 71. Kent's 4th in Trial Advocacy and 10th in Legal Writing. Loyola is 9th in Health Law. Interesting factors

Those should not be factors in your decision

Thx RockyIII. I'll actually just go by the TLS vote tally for the poll I put up -- that'll settle it. Oh wait it's 47-46 Loyola. Really is a toss of a coin! :)

As of now, Loyola has offered up the $, and Kent has not. Like said, waiting on some other Midwest surprises. We'll see how it all goes. Exciting times ahead.

Leverage the Loyola scholly for more money at Kent! I'm sure you can get them to cough up something if it means not sending you to a competitor school. If Kent gives more money and you still haven't made a decision try to use that with Loyola. I imagine going back and forth could be tedious but it's better than going to Kent (if you end up choosing it) for sticker.

Correct. Thx Spack. I noticed that you got a 10K offer at Kent and also that Loyola is your first choice? What are your thoughts on both schools. I did try to leverage Kent to no avail, but I have a few ideas for the coming weeks. We'll see. I am happy with Loyola's offer, as well. Can't wait until all the schools decide!

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I LOVE that my poll is 52-52. Thanks for the help, TLSers...

I decided that $ would answer this, and as of now it's Loyola $, Kent non-$. If Kent offers .. oy.

HOWEVER. There is a twist. I looooved the University of Miami School of Law. And you only live once. I might just do that. I still am unsure if I have the guts to actually send the deposit $ to Miami, though, and leave my hometown area of Chicago and Loyola's generous offer behind. Any thoughts? That'd would be a heck of a three years. And then I'd figure out the rest later ..

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 am

Philosopher1 wrote:I LOVE that my poll is 52-52. Thanks for the help, TLSers...

I decided that $ would answer this, and as of now it's Loyola $, Kent non-$. If Kent offers .. oy.

HOWEVER. There is a twist. I looooved the University of Miami School of Law. And you only live once. I might just do that. I still am unsure if I have the guts to actually send the deposit $ to Miami, though, and leave my hometown area of Chicago and Loyola's generous offer behind. Any thoughts? That'd would be a heck of a three years. And then I'd figure out the rest later ..

well do you want to practice down in FL or in Chicago? That should drive your choice.

have you ever been to Miami? Personally, I'm not a fan of the city in general or the school (my brother went there for undergrad). Chicago is head and shoulders a better city to be in than Miami IMO but I am really, REALLY biased on the issue.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”