Choosing a law school Chicago style (I prefer this thread)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What is the better law school to attend overall?

Chicago-Kent College of Law
51%
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
49%

Total votes: 108

Philosopher1

Choosing a law school Chicago style (I prefer this thread)

Postby Philosopher1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:49 am

One or the other. Do or die. Win or cry ...

bk1

Re: Choosing a law school Chicago style (I prefer this thread)

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:55 am

The correct answers can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146793

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 am

Kent

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:28 am

after speaking to practicing attorneys in Chicago both young and old, I have the notion (wrong or right, I don't know) that both DePaul and Loyola are held in significantly higher regard than Kent is. And outside of Chicago, the thoughts are even more skewed against Kent (if people even know it at all).

I know you didn't ask about DePaul but it is kind of a no brainer to toss it into the mix here.... plus they factor into my decision making.

Call me superficial but after going to a smaller school on the east coast and having to explain what the school is every time someone from Chicago asks me where I went (and it is a damn good school too), I don't want to have to explain "oh I went to IIT's law school". That being said, I'm seriously considering IP and, therefore, Kent isn't off the table.

sorry for the long post but I'm torn between these schools + DePaul.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 am

aknecht wrote:after speaking to practicing attorneys in Chicago both young and old, I have the notion (wrong or right, I don't know) that both DePaul and Loyola are held in significantly higher regard than Kent is. And outside of Chicago, the thoughts are even more skewed against Kent (if people even know it at all).

I know you didn't ask about DePaul but it is kind of a no brainer to toss it into the mix here.... plus they factor into my decision making.

Call me superficial but after going to a smaller school on the east coast and having to explain what the school is every time someone from Chicago asks me where I went (and it is a damn good school too), I don't want to have to explain "oh I went to IIT's law school". That being said, I'm seriously considering IP and, therefore, Kent isn't off the table.

sorry for the long post but I'm torn between these schools + DePaul.

I 100% agree with going to a school that is known outside that state. Especially if its a school that they think highly of than that's already bonus points for you when interviewing. That's how I picked my undergrad and its really amazing how ppl just think your so smart because you went to that school..

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:56 am

mimi82 wrote:I 100% agree with going to a school that is known outside that state. Especially if its a school that they think highly of than that's already bonus points for you when interviewing. That's how I picked my undergrad and its really amazing how ppl just think your so smart because you went to that school..

Honestly I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but when people hear DePaul or Loyola (a little less for Loyola tho), they at least have heard of it which automatically triggers a favorable view in their mind even if that view isn't correct. Kent may have a higher rating but the name just doesn't travel that well which definitely hurts them in my decision making process.

Do I plan on practicing outside of Chicago? Not really but I don't want to close that door if I don't have to.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:59 am

aknecht wrote:
mimi82 wrote:I 100% agree with going to a school that is known outside that state. Especially if its a school that they think highly of than that's already bonus points for you when interviewing. That's how I picked my undergrad and its really amazing how ppl just think your so smart because you went to that school..

Honestly I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but when people hear DePaul or Loyola (a little less for Loyola tho), they at least have heard of it which automatically triggers a favorable view in their mind even if that view isn't correct. Kent may have a higher rating but the name just doesn't travel that well which definitely hurts them in my decision making process.

Do I plan on practicing outside of Chicago? Not really but I don't want to close that door if I don't have to.

No I wasn't being sarcastic!!! I really do agree with you. Give yourself some credit. :D

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:02 pm

Also I was accepted to Loyola but I'm in DC and really don't plan on staying in any particular city. I actually would like to go overseas. The school I wanted to go to (that's recognize worldwide) waitlisted me. Not even sure if I want to practice law...just research and possibly dable in the law. So going to a school that is at least nationally known is very much important to me.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:12 pm

mimi82 wrote:Also I was accepted to Loyola but I'm in DC and really don't plan on staying in any particular city. I actually would like to go overseas. The school I wanted to go to (that's recognize worldwide) waitlisted me. Not even sure if I want to practice law...just research and possibly dable in the law. So going to a school that is at least nationally known is very much important to me.

A Ph.D. would likely be much cheaper and would give you a better chance at research from what I've heard.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:24 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
mimi82 wrote:Also I was accepted to Loyola but I'm in DC and really don't plan on staying in any particular city. I actually would like to go overseas. The school I wanted to go to (that's recognize worldwide) waitlisted me. Not even sure if I want to practice law...just research and possibly dable in the law. So going to a school that is at least nationally known is very much important to me.

A Ph.D. would likely be much cheaper and would give you a better chance at research from what I've heard.

Yes I seriously debated on the PhD. But because the type of research I want to do is in human rights and national security the law degree is better. Also I love working as a criminal analyst so I know I would want to do something related to this work. Investigating is really fun to me.
Another thing is I like to switch jobs a lot when I get bored and am no longer challenged. A PhD kinda limits me in what field to work in. A JD is so transferable. I've done a lot of research, talking to different folks from both sides and the JD just made more sense.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:27 pm

I am from Chicago. Kent is regarded better than DePaul in Chicago.

There are about 6 threads about this issue saying that at sticker you should not go to either of these but if I had to choose between Loyola and Kent I go with Loyola (although I went there for undergrad so that = bias).

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 pm

FWIW, Loyola-Chicago jumped 9 places in the USN Law School Rankings, from 87 to 78.

Oracl3

Postby Oracl3 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Retake.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm in DC as well. Chicago is a much better place to live IMO. More to do, bigger city, you can actually swim in the lake unlike the potomac, MUCH friendlier people, etc. I'm bias though as I grew up there.

Oracl3 wrote:Retake.

you know you're the VERY first person who has told me that, thank you for opening my eyes :roll:

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Bless wrote:FWIW, Loyola-Chicago jumped 9 places in the USN Law School Rankings, from 87 to 78.

there's 2 ways to view that: (1) it was a fluke rating and it won't stay up that high or (2) the ranking is only going to continue to improve.

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:46 pm

aknecht wrote:
Bless wrote:FWIW, Loyola-Chicago jumped 9 places in the USN Law School Rankings, from 87 to 78.

there's 2 ways to view that: (1) it was a fluke rating and it won't stay up that high or (2) the ranking is only going to continue to improve.

Well, yeah. There's never any certainty with the rankings (unless it's Yale :wink: ). Still, they are a reliable measure for the moment.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:05 pm

aknecht wrote:

Or you could with the most prudent option, (3) the rankings don't mean shit whether it was a fluke or not.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks for the input.

Regarding 2010 data, which I do not believe was factored into the U.S. News rankings, Loyola's 25th percentile lsat was 157, 75th 162 -- Kent's was 155 and then 163. Kent's had a slightly higher GPA 25th and 75th. Both medians were 161. I believe Loyola's acceptance rate was lower, per usual. Seems to be Loyola hovered at 30%, while Kent's was in the mid 30% range. I'm happy w/ being accepted to both.

I think the point about the rankings of the two schools I brought up is that they seem to always have been, and possibly always will be, very close to one another. I'm simply looking for what's a reason to go to one over the other.
Last edited by Philosopher1 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am

Whoever knows of the two schools and hasn't voted, please do! Why are they essentially tied? I need to see a difference ... how sad lol

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Any other opinions or votes ...?

Thanks for answering!

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Whichever one gives you a full ride, or near full ride.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm waiting on Kent and Loyola, in at DePaul. I favor Kent and Loyola over DePaul, despite the name recognition that DePaul has over the other 2 institutions. DePaul has been accused of being run very poorly by its parent university, and it seems like its not inherently safe among the tier 2 schools, but that may not matter for Chicago placement, its known and has a strong alumni base in the city. I actually don't think Loyola has a whole lot more name recognition than Kent, given that there are 3 Loyola Law Schools in the U.S., and Loyola - Chicago isn't even the highest rated.

If I get into both, and decide to attend a Chicago area school, I would visit both. With that being said, I have heard that Kent has wonderful facilities and is centrally located right next to a travel hub ( I've actually never been to Chicago but I think I would like practicing there.) I've heard Loyola is nice too, but that Kent is a better environment overall. I guess, if the money is equal, both schools seem equal to one another in other aspects, so it would come down to personal preference.

Another consideration would be your preferred area of practice. Threads on TLS seem to indicate that Loyola leans toward Health Care law and Kent of course leans toward IP law. I plan on digging deeper if the opportunity to attend both presents itself.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:48 pm

For not being in Chicago -- or even if one wrote what you wrote but has lived in the Chicagoland area all his or her life -- you seem to be spot on.

And that's the problem!

I am looking to choose between Kent and Loyola, as of now (pending reach schools that have not gotten back to me). I didn't apply to DePaul because I felt confident I'd be accepted to at least one or the other. Congrats on getting accepted to DePaul. I'm not interested in IP, and so far, I am not necessarily interested in health law but who knows. I do want to do advocacy, litigation, etc. I notice that Kent is ranked in the Top 7 in trial advocacy, but Loyola is especially known to produce excellent trial attorneys, as well as having impressive alumni. In Chicago, both schools seem to be regarded with fine reputations. Still, most know that it would help to finish in the top 10% of the two mentioned schools, but that's a risk many are willing to take. I certainly am. Kent is indeed located a block from Union Station. Though, you can use public transportation pretty easily from Loyola. The money situation for both, so far, is the same. I visited both. They're both really, really good. I'll have to figure all this out. Oy

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 pm

More Loyola students retain their scholarships after the first year than Kent students. Something to think about.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Justathought wrote:I'm waiting on Kent and Loyola, in at DePaul. I favor Kent and Loyola over DePaul, despite the name recognition that DePaul has over the other 2 institutions. DePaul has been accused of being run very poorly by its parent university, and it seems like its not inherently safe among the tier 2 schools, but that may not matter for Chicago placement, its known and has a strong alumni base in the city. I actually don't think Loyola has a whole lot more name recognition than Kent, given that there are 3 Loyola Law Schools in the U.S., and Loyola - Chicago isn't even the highest rated.

If I get into both, and decide to attend a Chicago area school, I would visit both. With that being said, I have heard that Kent has wonderful facilities and is centrally located right next to a travel hub ( I've actually never been to Chicago but I think I would like practicing there.) I've heard Loyola is nice too, but that Kent is a better environment overall. I guess, if the money is equal, both schools seem equal to one another in other aspects, so it would come down to personal preference.

Another consideration would be your preferred area of practice. Threads on TLS seem to indicate that Loyola leans toward Health Care law and Kent of course leans toward IP law. I plan on digging deeper if the opportunity to attend both presents itself.

I'm from Chicago and have been to all three of these schools. DePaul's location is the best, right in the loop. Loyola's is a very close 2nd. Kent is right next to Union Station and kind of off the beaten path but not bad.

Kent's facilities are HANDS DOWN the best. Loyola's are a close second and DePaul's are a distant third but the location helps as well as the incredible alumni network and individual attention they seem to pay to potential students.

If I had only Kent and Loyola to choose from, I would have a VERY hard time distinguishing between the 2. IMO, I really think a large part of Kent's ranking is due to their facilities which doesn't help much after graduation. I've been told that saying you went to Loyola carries more weight in Chicago than Kent. However, neither carries a ton of weight outside the 312 but DePaul seems to travel better (can you tell which one I'm biased towards?).

just my two cents, take em or leave em.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”