Cornell interview?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snichols16

Cornell interview?

Postby snichols16 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:50 pm

Received notice today; flying out for it next Thursday. Has anyone gone for an interview (or just done it over the phone)? Anything special I should look out for?

mrwarre85

Re: Cornell interview?

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Bump.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Anyone? Someone out there has to have gone through the interview by now (and is willing to share)

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:35 pm

The Cornell interview--I did mine via phone--was a real treat. The adcom with whom I talked was awesome, and probably about 15-20 min of our 35 min conversation was just about my personal background (and even a bit about her personal background!). I found this very refreshing as my personal background never came up in other interviews, despite it being a central focus of my PS.

My numbers are at/above 75ths, so I'm not sure if this is applicable, but if you do have high numbers then it seems like the interview serves two purposes:
1) A recruiting tool. A good chunk of the conversation was devoted to Cornell itself.
and 2) To gauge your interest. I think it's in part a YP thing to make sure you didn't apply just to apply. Now, if you're flying in, I think that certainly shows your interest already, as someone in their admissions office told me that most interviews are done via phone.

If you're a borderline candidate, this may play out a bit differently, but the person I interviewed with was fantastic. It was casual, relaxed, and overall a pleasant conversation (though I would still dress formally in person).

Edit: I'm betting that a 163/3.9/AA with a PhD is an admit for Cornell. Just have some specific reasons (geographic/professional/etc.) for why you want to go there, and my guess is that a good chunk of your interview will be them telling you some great things about Cornell in hopes you attend.
Last edited by ExpectLess on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

I also got the impression that this is a YP situation, but I am definitely interested in Cornell (especially if they throw me some USD). I'm a big believer in doing things in person (flew from LA to hand deliver letters of continued interest to Penn and Harvard), so I figured flying out to Ithaca can't hurt. My schedule these days is rowing from 5-9 then surf from 9-11, so I have the time to do it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”