LOCI advice please!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
miazdc

LOCI advice please!

Postby miazdc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:43 pm

I was waitlisted at Wisconsin last week, and am currently drafting a LOCI. The waitlist email said the following: "If you have a special interest in attending the Law School, we encourage you to send us a letter or e-mail in which you speak specifically to that interest and the likelihood that you would enroll if admitted."

My dilemma is: Wisconsin is at the very top of my list. It fits what I'm looking for almost exactly. However, because of scholarship offers I've received from other schools, I would probably only attend if they gave me a good chunk of money (probably 1/3 scholarship or more). If I did get significant money, I'd go in a heartbeat. How do I tactfully say that in a LOCI? I understand that it's rare to get money off the waitlist anyways, but at this point I feel that I don't have much to lose.

Thanks, input is appreciated.

Frasier27

Re: LOCI advice please!

Postby Frasier27 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:49 pm

What are your numbers as compared to Wisconsin? Either way though I would guess that you're not really in any position to negotiate for money until your accepted so I would probably recommend crossing that bridge when/if you come to it.

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 pm

My LSAT is at 75th, GPA is little above 25th. I'm surrounded by a sea of yellow on LSN.

Frasier27

Postby Frasier27 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Unfortunately I'd probably guess you're chances of getting a lot of merit money are not very good. I don't know how generous Wisconsin tends to be with financial aid but you might have a shot at some of that if you get in. Either way though I really can't imagine how asking for money (however subtly) in the LOCI helps you get in so I wouldn't mention it now and then if you do get in try to get money later. Then again I could be completely wrong, but thats my feeling.

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Yeah, I agree that my chances for money are very slim. However, I almost certainly wouldn't attend if I didn't get money so I feel like I have nothing to lose.

I'll probably just draft a generic LOCI not mentioning money, and if my some miracle I get accepted, try to beg for some at that point.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Last edited by wester0 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:22 am

thanks for the advice guys.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am

I'm in a similar situation. Waitlisted at my top pick also. But its so expensive. I wouldn't say anything about getting a scholarship in my LOCI. If they called me and told me I was accepted I would ask them if they could look into me getting a scholarship and also ask when my seat deposit was due. If you say anything in your LOCI about the scholarship situation that may put you at the bottom of the stack for getting off the waitlist. Remember we don't know what their logic is for picking people from the waitlist.
Also, another strategy I'm using is going to a less expensive (still good) school in the area and then try to transfer in the next year. I know a few folks that have transferred into my first pick school from the less expensive school, and many were on the waiting list for the school.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”