University of Akron 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kkklick

University of Akron 2014

Postby kkklick » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Didn't see an Akron thread so pardon me if there already is one. Got accepted this morning, a phone call from an alum. Definately a last case scenario but nice to have something under the belt.

Punisha20

Re: University of Akron 2014

Postby Punisha20 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:26 pm

I was in 2 Tuesdays ago, it is my first acceptance. Definitely a safety, but I had to apply to the local law school.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Any $$$? It says in the email schollys are given from January through mid-Feb. Curious as to how much cash they'll throw my way.

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Nope, I got the packet in the mail and there was nothing in it. My LSAT is above there 75th, so I'm imagining not too many people know yet.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:23 pm

I am not applying, however, they are a nice school as per their mailings.

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:18 pm

I was accepted in October for the PT program. No scholarship information yet - though who knows what they'll give to the part-time folk. I'm permanently in the region so there's a strong chance I will attend Akron.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Got the scholly offer from Akron, a renewable 17K depending on a 3.3 GPA and a 12K stipend with a 2.3 GPA condition. Basically a full ride for my first year but I'm going to have to pass.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Accepted with no scholarship. Not too interested anymore without a substantial offer.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:55 pm

txadv11 wrote:Accepted with no scholarship. Not too interested anymore without a substantial offer.

I was accepted over a month ago and just got my scholly info 2 days ago. Did they say for sure no scholarship?

cuando

Postby cuando » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 pm

I was accepted in late January and just got an email yesterday offering the renewable 17K scholarship. I don't think I'm gonna take it since the school has such a bad reputation for for its strict grading curve causing students to lose scholarships. But, I think I'm going to attend the admitted student program in March before I make a final decision.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 pm

kkklick wrote:Got the scholly offer from Akron, a renewable 17K depending on a 3.3 GPA and a 12K stipend with a 2.3 GPA condition. Basically a full ride for my first year but I'm going to have to pass.

+1, everything about it

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 pm

kkklick wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Accepted with no scholarship. Not too interested anymore without a substantial offer.

I was accepted over a month ago and just got my scholly info 2 days ago. Did they say for sure no scholarship?

The email said "Although we are unable to offer a scholarship to you at this time, the scholarship committee will continue to keep an eye on your file in the event that funds become available later in the admission season. You are truly a very talented applicant"

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:16 pm

I received a $14k scholarship which I suppose is a full ride for part-time students. Although the the scholarship is notoriously difficult to keep, at least it's an opportunity. I may attend.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 pm

txadv11 wrote:
kkklick wrote:

The email said "Although we are unable to offer a scholarship to you at this time, the scholarship committee will continue to keep an eye on your file in the event that funds become available later in the admission season. You are truly a very talented applicant"

Well there's 3 of us on here who are withdrawing so that's about 75K worth of scholarships becoming available.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:50 pm

cuando wrote:I was accepted in late January and just got an email yesterday offering the renewable 17K scholarship. I don't think I'm gonna take it since the school has such a bad reputation for for its strict grading curve causing students to lose scholarships. But, I think I'm going to attend the admitted student program in March before I make a final decision.

Yeah, that is some bullshit and for me I would need the continuous scholarship to be able to afford it. Considering Penn State is giving me 60K with a lot less of a stipulation this offer wasn't even considered.

cuando

Postby cuando » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:00 pm

kkklick wrote:
cuando wrote:I was accepted in late January and just got an email yesterday offering the renewable 17K scholarship. I don't think I'm gonna take it since the school has such a bad reputation for for its strict grading curve causing students to lose scholarships. But, I think I'm going to attend the admitted student program in March before I make a final decision.

Yeah, that is some bullshit and for me I would need the continuous scholarship to be able to afford it. Considering Penn State is giving me 60K with a lot less of a stipulation this offer wasn't even considered.

Um, yeah. I've read a couple other places (couldn't locate it again...it was either somewhere on here or one of the scam blogs) that Akron is one of the most "predatory" law schools in the country and that "their scholarships are basically a ponzi scheme." Congrats on the money from Penn State...that's fabulous...and it's a much better school!

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:06 pm

kkklick wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
kkklick wrote:

Well there's 3 of us on here who are withdrawing so that's about 75K worth of scholarships becoming available.

I just withdrew, so make that 4 and 92k.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 pm

I called and asked what are the chances of keeping scholarships (because I was thinking of trying to negociate for one based upon ONU's offer to me) and she said that 15-20 percent of people KEEP the full amounts going into 2L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUMP SHIP NOW, MAYDAY, MAYDAY

Anyways, I'll withdraw pretty soon ,so hopefully someone on the WL that wants in can have a spot!

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 pm

txadv11 wrote:I called and asked what are the chances of keeping scholarships (because I was thinking of trying to negociate for one based upon ONU's offer to me) and she said that 15-20 percent of people KEEP the full amounts going into 2L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUMP SHIP NOW, MAYDAY, MAYDAY

Anyways, I'll withdraw pretty soon ,so hopefully someone on the WL that wants in can have a spot!

Confirmed scam.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:35 pm

kkklick wrote:
txadv11 wrote:I called and asked what are the chances of keeping scholarships (because I was thinking of trying to negociate for one based upon ONU's offer to me) and she said that 15-20 percent of people KEEP the full amounts going into 2L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUMP SHIP NOW, MAYDAY, MAYDAY

Confirmed scam.

Yeah... I dont mean to badmouth a school that let me in but please if you are considering this school, negotiate stips like crazy.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Yeah, they have a pretty ridiculous curve and the stipulation is harsh, making it very difficult to keep your scholarship. And while I have taken almost every opportunity to criticize Akron for having such a setup and have called them predatory in the past, I will give you this - they readily admit that stipulation. They talked about it unprompted at a preview day. (I was going to bring it up, if they didn't)

The average Akron student, though, has no clue how hard it is to be in the top 15% of a class. The average Akron student doesn't spend months on TLS prior to admission. So while they're pretty candid about it, I'm not sure a lot registers with the typical applicant. I'm also not sure how much of the responsibility of the school is to spend time educating their prospectives on reasons not to attend.

I'll be withdrawing my offer shortly, but not just because of the scholarship. I attended an open house and didn't really like their facilities and I know that for something like law school, I need to be exceptionally motivated to do well. I can't feel motivated if I am always bummed out by my surroundings. Also, their employment data came out. While they tried to put a rosy spin on it, I was terrified of it.

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

TommyK wrote:Yeah, they have a pretty ridiculous curve and the stipulation is harsh, making it very difficult to keep your scholarship. And while I have taken almost every opportunity to criticize Akron for having such a setup and have called them predatory in the past, I will give you this - they readily admit that stipulation. They talked about it unprompted at a preview day. (I was going to bring it up, if they didn't)

The average Akron student, though, has no clue how hard it is to be in the top 15% of a class. The average Akron student doesn't spend months on TLS prior to admission. So while they're pretty candid about it, I'm not sure a lot registers with the typical applicant. I'm also not sure how much of the responsibility of the school is to spend time educating their prospectives on reasons not to attend.

I'll be withdrawing my offer shortly, but not just because of the scholarship. I attended an open house and didn't really like their facilities and I know that for something like law school, I need to be exceptionally motivated to do well. I can't feel motivated if I am always bummed out by my surroundings. Also, their employment data came out. While they tried to put a rosy spin on it, I was terrified of it.

This situation works well for me, but I'm sure that I am in the minority. Their tradeoff is that they get to entice folks with a lot of money knowing that they don't have the funds to sustain it so they have to curve harshly. I already live in the area and I have a career. My GPA made me practically toxic, but because they give out so much cash I have an opportunity to go on a full ride part-time.

I don't know if I'm going to Akron, but I'm strongly considering it. If the scholarship gets yanked then I'll drop out and continue my career. Obviously, I want to be in the top, but I'm in safe position even if I'm not. Quitting my job and going to Case sticker is just too risky.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Claudius wrote:
TommyK wrote:Yeah, they have a pretty ridiculous curve and the stipulation is harsh, making it very difficult to keep your scholarship. And while I have taken almost every opportunity to criticize Akron for having such a setup and have called them predatory in the past, I will give you this - they readily admit that stipulation. They talked about it unprompted at a preview day. (I was going to bring it up, if they didn't)

This situation works well for me, but I'm sure that I am in the minority. Their tradeoff is that they get to entice folks with a lot of money knowing that they don't have the funds to sustain it so they have to curve harshly. I already live in the area and I have a career. My GPA made me practically toxic, but because they give out so much cash I have an opportunity to go on a full ride part-time.

I don't know if I'm going to Akron, but I'm strongly considering it. If the scholarship gets yanked then I'll drop out and continue my career. Obviously, I want to be in the top, but I'm in safe position even if I'm not. Quitting my job and going to Case sticker is just too risky.

True. I think you're gonna' tear it up, Claudius. It will be a challenge going PT and working FT, but clearly you have the abilities to rock it. Good luck, brotha'

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm curious about they're employment numbers, purely from a comparative standpoint.

bilboteabaggins

Postby bilboteabaggins » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 pm

As of now only about 11% of the 1st years at Akron Law are on track to keep their full scholarships. The school curves to slightly below a 2.7. While the facilities are not great, the faculty is pretty good. I do not think it is worth going to this school on scholarship versus going to a higher ranked school just based on how hard it is to keep your scholarship, how deflated your gpa will be when looking for jobs, and your the lack of job prospects.

It's a risky venture, and unless you want to work in OH and are from the area, one I would stay away from.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”