What to do to increase chances of a favorable outcome:

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fakemoney

Re: What to do to increase chances of a favorable outcome:

Postby fakemoney » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:23 pm

subtle wrote:
fakemoney wrote:Obviously the best advice is to retake, but assuming that's not an option, she should just send out a ton of apps with a killer addendum explaining her LSAT scores. Maybe, maybe, a reverse-splitter friendly school might be interested in her for her 3.8 GPA.

What are some reverse-splitter friendly schools in the TT, TTT, and TTTT? I'm really skeptical about her chances in the TT as she's gotten dinged everywhere so far (and some places in TTT and TTTT).

Off the top of my head, I really don't know which schools are friendly to reverse-splitters. Probably checking LSN would be a good way to get an idea.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:05 am

Your friend's life will be worse than the alternative where she didn't attend law school.

If you care for your friend, you should tell her this, because it's true.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:49 am

Last edited by wester0 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:05 am

wester0 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:Your friend's life will be worse than the alternative where she didn't attend law school.

Don't listen to this guy. Graduating with 150k of debt from a tttt in 2014 is a lot better than graduating almost debt free from a t2 in 2015.

Sarcasm not necessary or appreciated. *I* understand that a year off is really the best option. Short of that (because I can't convince her to do this because her parents won't support this and they apparently won't be swayed), I wanted to know what I can tell her about her holds. It seems like there's nothing else that can be said to her other that what I've already told her. My mother is going to try to talk to her to see if she can help her come up with a way to sway her parents. Other than that, she's in the position that she's in and it seems like demonstrating lots of interest in those schools will be the best way to make it maybe a little bit better.

fragged

Postby fragged » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:09 am

subtle wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm posting this question on behalf of a friend who could use some help. Her cycle is not going well at all. She was recently deferred at Wayne State and held at U of D Mercy. What should she do to increase her chances of getting an acceptance:

For some background info: She is a white female, 3.8 uGPA, 144/142 LSAT. She interned in the ADA's office last summer, and has also interned for a judge in Rhode Island.

I told her to send a LOCI, a LOR, an updated résumé (she'll be getting some new awards this semester), as well as try to attend class and generally just show as much interest as possible.

My questions are:

1. What should she stress in a LOCI?
2. What else, if anything, can she do/send besides what I've already suggested?
3. Should she not send any of the things I've suggested?

Well she could start by taking the initiative to ask for help on TLS - why is her friend posting messages when she should be the one posting them?

Also, 144/142 LSAT? I don't mean to be insensitive, but you have to put just about ZERO effort into studying to get a score like that.

It sounds as though (perhaps) your friend lacks the motivation to do what is necessary to get into a decent school.

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:16 am

1. Message boards are not for everyone.

2. Generally when people say things like I don't mean to be insensitive but, it's because they know that they're about to be insensitive. She put in quite a bit of effort. She took multiple practice tests, dedicated a few hours each day to doing practices, and took a class before both tests.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:22 am

wester0 wrote:Retake.

+ every poster on tls with a brain

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:24 am

subtle wrote:
wester0 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:Your friend's life will be worse than the alternative where she didn't attend law school.

Don't listen to this guy. Graduating with 150k of debt from a tttt in 2014 is a lot better than graduating almost debt free from a t2 in 2015.

Sarcasm not necessary or appreciated. *I* understand that a year off is really the best option. Short of that (because I can't convince her to do this because her parents won't support this and they apparently won't be swayed), I wanted to know what I can tell her about her holds. It seems like there's nothing else that can be said to her other that what I've already told her. My mother is going to try to talk to her to see if she can help her come up with a way to sway her parents. Other than that, she's in the position that she's in and it seems like demonstrating lots of interest in those schools will be the best way to make it maybe a little bit better.

Is she 18? How can her parents force her to go to law school. And this sin't sarcasm I'm genuinely interested why she can't make her own decisions. I know some parents can be over bearing but normally once a person is in their mid-twenties they should be able to assert their independence. Especially for a person going into a profession that prides itself on producing people that can do their job proficiently and ethically independent of outside pressure.

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:29 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
subtle wrote:
wester0 wrote:

Is she 18? How can her parents force her to go to law school. And this sin't sarcasm I'm genuinely interested why she can't make her own decisions. I know some parents can be over bearing but normally once a person is in their mid-twenties they should be able to assert their independence. Especially for a person going into a profession that prides itself on producing people that can do their job proficiently and ethically independent of outside pressure.

Money talks?

wester0

Postby wester0 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:31 am

Last edited by wester0 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 am

I would like to add...y doesnt she get a job. that would please the parents

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:42 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:I would like to add...y doesnt she get a job. that would please the parents

They specifically vetoed a job. Why I will NEVER know. But WTF do I know?

It's not about handling the jackasses at TLS. It's just that some people don't like message boards? Don't go on them, etc.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:44 am

subtle wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:I would like to add...y doesnt she get a job. that would please the parents

They specifically vetoed a job. Why I will NEVER know. But WTF do I know?

It's not about handling the jackasses at TLS. It's just that some people don't like message boards? Don't go on them, etc.

so what if she doesnt want to go to law school?

edit: what if she doesnt get into law school

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:46 am

She's in at Cooley. I just cringe saying that on this site. I searched LSN for people with her numbers and it seems like there might be a few other schools that might take her, but they're not in the east.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:47 am

subtle wrote:She's in at Cooley. I just cringe saying that on this site. I searched LSN for people with her numbers and it seems like there might be a few other schools that might take her, but they're not in the east.

how much a year is she paying? What was her ug major?

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:52 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
subtle wrote:She's in at Cooley. I just cringe saying that on this site. I searched LSN for people with her numbers and it seems like there might be a few other schools that might take her, but they're not in the east.

Paying for UG? No idea. She has a scholarship at Cooley, so it wouldn't be sticker. I don't know how large the scholarship is though. From what I understand, her parents would pay the rest so debt isn't really an issue. Her UG major is Poli Sci.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:57 am

You have to be firm w/ her. Either she improves her LSAT (pref to 160+) or abandons all hope of LS

Seriously, the opportunity cost for someone like her at a TTTT will be immense

wester0

Postby wester0 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:59 am

Last edited by wester0 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:00 am

subtle wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:

Paying for UG? No idea. She has a scholarship at Cooley, so it wouldn't be sticker. I don't know how large the scholarship is though. From what I understand, her parents would pay the rest so debt isn't really an issue. Her UG major is Poli Sci.

I see. I thought she was attending Cooley. If debts not an issue then I guess the only harm would be wasted time. Could she go to grad school to keep her parents happy? Study abroad? Teach for America? The last is a decent soft. Even if her parents pay for it, she wont have any good job prospects.

I think this late in the cycle there is not much she can do to increase chances. She needs to find away to get her parents to understand this. There is a lot she can do to increase her lsat, and with a little time off, some work experience she could def crack the top100, which if her parents are paying for it is worth it, especially as the economy should be coming back

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
subtle wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:

I see. I thought she was attending Cooley. If debts not an issue then I guess the only harm would be wasted time. Could she go to grad school to keep her parents happy? Study abroad? Teach for America? The last is a decent soft. Even if her parents pay for it, she wont have any good job prospects.

I think this late in the cycle there is not much she can do to increase chances. She needs to find away to get her parents to understand this. There is a lot she can do to increase her lsat, and with a little time off, some work experience she could def crack the top100, which if her parents are paying for it is worth it, especially as the economy should be coming back

It's a bit late to be applying for Teach for America for the fall.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:04 am

I thought the deadline was April or March. At my school they would do anything to get acum laude or better in their program

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:07 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:I thought the deadline was April or March. At my school they would do anything to get acum laude or better in their program

I'm pretty sure the deadline is early february, and from what I've heard it's gotten incredibly competitive due to the economy

edit: deadline passed a few days ago http://www.teachforamerica.org/admissions/how-to-apply/

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:08 am

dr123 wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:I thought the deadline was April or March. At my school they would do anything to get acum laude or better in their program

I'm pretty sure the deadline is early february, and from what I've heard it's gotten incredibly competitive due to the economy

something is wrong with the world, when us slackers cant even get a job teaching poor kids

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:09 am

I'm pretty sure they've done all of the TFA interviews already. A different friend was already chosen, so I thought decisions were already made?

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:10 am

subtle wrote:

I'm pretty sure they've done all of the TFA interviews already. A different friend was already chosen, so I thought decisions were already made?

yeah, it appears I am wrong. I few years ago it was different. Have her get an MA in something

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”