Could attempting to get more scholly $ hurt you?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TOMaHULK

Could attempting to get more scholly $ hurt you?

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:54 pm

I know that we all know of the thread that gives advice on how to get higher scholly dollars from schools.

Can this hurt you in anyway?

Anyway for an admin to take away an acceptance for trying to get them to give you more?

Figured I'd ask as it's a valid concern for me. :?

Grizz

Re: Could attempting to get more scholly $ hurt you?

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 pm

In all likelihood, it's not gonna hurt.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:58 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I know that we all know of the thread that gives advice on how to get higher scholly dollars from schools.

Anyway for an admin to take away an acceptance for trying to get them to give you more?

I don't think schools are able to rescind an acceptance once offered.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:00 pm

weejonbu wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:I know that we all know of the thread that gives advice on how to get higher scholly dollars from schools.

I don't think schools are able to rescind an acceptance once offered.

C&F...

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Don't be a douchebag and it won't hurt you. Even if you are it probably won't hurt.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Hannibal wrote:Don't be a douchebag and it won't hurt you. Even if you are it probably won't hurt.

This.

Trying to negotiate aid is not going to get your admission rescinded. Students do it all of the time, so worst case scenario they say no.

Being a douchey stalker MAY raise a few red flags. Steer clear of that sort of behavior and you will be fine.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:26 pm

If I list other schools I've been admitted into and their scholly amounts (to attempt to have it matched or bettered), I can assume they will contact those schools?

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:27 pm

You could make a copy of the award letter(s) with which you're negotiating, and include it with your request.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:28 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:If I list other schools I've been admitted into and their scholly amounts (to attempt to have it matched or bettered), I can assume they will contact those schools?

Yes.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 pm

I'm using the original Merit Based Scholly thread, however, I need to gear a specific request to meet (hopefully outbid) 2 scholly offers from competing schools. In order words, I was offered a small scholly, but I'd like them to at least match that of the others schools.

Appreciate the advice all, I'm just trying to preceed with a bit of caution. :wink:

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 am

Should I wait until I find out the amount, and status's from all of my pending schools? Or send the email now, based off my current acceptances and offers, because they're my first choice?

My concern is I want to attempt to get more money while they still have money to offer, and also before any visit days, etc.

I appreciate any responses in advance.

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am

TOMaHULK wrote:Should I wait until I find out the amount, and status's from all of my pending schools? Or send the email now, based off my current acceptances and offers, because they're my first choice?

My concern is I want to attempt to get more money while they still have money to offer, and also before any visit days, etc.

I have the exact same question. I'm hesitant to wait much longer... but maybe we should?

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 am

miazdc wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Should I wait until I find out the amount, and status's from all of my pending schools? Or send the email now, based off my current acceptances and offers, because they're my first choice?

I have the exact same question. I'm hesitant to wait much longer... but maybe we should?

I'm tempted to send my email out today. They are right in the middle of their acceptances, etc. right now. I want to ask for money when Plently is still available. However, I'll wait for further responses.

Also-Should I list competing schools that have accepted me with no scholly dollars as well, or is this anti productive? I ask because I'm still thinking that they are trying to sway me from attending a competing school.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 am

Meh...I had the email prepared (have been looking it over) and I just sent it.

Let's see what happens. :D

Perch

Postby Perch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:02 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Meh...I had the email prepared (have been looking it over) and I just sent it.

interested to see how it goes. not because I think you did anything wrong, just curious because I have yet to do so myself

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Perch wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Meh...I had the email prepared (have been looking it over) and I just sent it.

interested to see how it goes. not because I think you did anything wrong, just curious because I have yet to do so myself

I know, I'm nervous now. I keep checking my email. But I look at it like this: The expense of Law School is similar to that of purchasing a home. If I was to be buying a house, and the seller asked for an asking price, I'd counter offer. We're talking debt of the same here, so I "counter offered." I'm also tired of being so scared of these schools. They want to make money. Nothing more.

But yeah...I'm still nervous. :?

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Perch wrote:

:shock: WOW-they responded within 5 mins. :shock:

They replied to my email and said that they've forwarded my email to the financial aid director and that they may be able to increase my amount, but it's not "likely" that they will be able to match the highest amount. Holy crap. Better than nothing right? :D I'm shocked at how well this may end up. :shock:

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:18 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
Perch wrote:

I know, I'm nervous now. I keep checking my email. But I look at it like this: The expense of Law School is similar to that of purchasing a home. If I was to be buying a house, and the seller asked for an asking price, I'd counter offer. We're talking debt of the same here, so I "counter offered." I'm also tired of being so scared of these schools. They want to make money. Nothing more.

But yeah...I'm still nervous. :?

False, they want to boost their rankings. Use that to your advantage.

I have never heard of someone getting dinged because of scholarship negotiating. Because of USNWR they want you, probably more than you want them.

IMO, the formula is simple.

E-mail with:

This is my number 1 school, but because of costs, I cannot justify going here at the current offer when school x is offering me z amount of money. I have undergrad debt/a wife/a husband/the economy sucks/ etc. I would love to go here if I could recieve a more competitive offer.

I think thats about all you need to do. Doesn't sound douchey, you talk about how excited you are about the school, and mention that you need the money for real world concerns that they probably have, not because you are a baller trying to get a l33t offer.

GL!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:19 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:
Perch wrote:

They replied to my email and said that they've forwarded my email to the financial aid director and that they may be able to increase my amount, but it's not "likely" that they will be able to match the highest amount. Holy crap. Better than nothing right? :D I'm shocked at how well this may end up. :shock:

like i said in my above post, they want you more than you want them. Their jobs are based on usnwr rankings. You have serious leverage power. They want your #s. Its their job to get good #s.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
Perch wrote:

like i said in my above post, they want you more than you want them. Their jobs are based on usnwr rankings. You have serious leverage power. They want your #s. Its their job to get good #s.

Within 5 minutes... :shock:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”