This is some bullsh*t - location & how it impacts admission

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lolschool2011

This is some bullsh*t - location & how it impacts admission

Postby lolschool2011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:52 am

Sorry to be a bit cryptic with a few of the details regarding these following events, but some of the particulars would be a bit too identifying.

The president (friend of family) of one of the largest law firms in a certain city (much smaller than the one I currently live in) who was actually on the committee which appointed the current dean to the law school in question, said LOCATION was most likely the reason why I was dinged. My numbers were way above both their medians, and was accepted to a much higher ranked school in my current city.

Apparently adcoms heavily weigh the probability (based on some sort of profiling) of an applicant actually moving to the city their school is in.

Geography/location - the newly discovered "soft" LS's are using for admissions. Ridiculous.

sanjola

Re: This is some bullsh*t - location & how it impacts admission

Postby sanjola » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:58 am

lolschool2011 wrote:Sorry to be a bit cryptic with a few of the details regarding these following events, but some of the particulars would be a bit too identifying.

The president (friend of family) of one of the largest law firms in a certain city (much smaller than the one I currently live in) who was actually on the committee which appointed the current dean to the law school in question, said LOCATION was most likely the reason why I was dinged. My numbers were way above both their medians, and was accepted to a much higher ranked school in my current city.

Apparently adcoms heavily weigh the probability (based on some sort of profiling) of an applicant actually moving to the city their school is in.

Geography/location - the newly discovered "soft" LS's are using for admissions. Ridiculous.

It makes sense if it's Arkansas, New Mexico or Hawaii.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:01 am

get over yourself lol

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:02 am

It was probably just YP. Take it easy playboy.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:03 am

lolschool2011 wrote:Sorry to be a bit cryptic with a few of the details regarding these following events, but some of the particulars would be a bit too identifying.

well did you write a "Why X" statement? if your answer was yes, then it probably wasnt convincing enough. if your answer is no, then there ya go

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:16 am

HowdyYall wrote:

well did you write a "Why X" statement? if your answer was yes, then it probably wasnt convincing enough. if your answer is no, then there ya go

It's BS. No I didn't include a "why x" b/c it wasn't on the table. (just PS, Resume, and LOR's) Yes I could have tailored my PS a little more, but I thought my actually applying to their school implied enough. Guess not.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:19 am

lolschool2011 wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:

It's BS. No I didn't include a "why x" b/c it wasn't on the table. (just PS, Resume, and LOR's) Yes I could have tailored my PS a little more, but I thought my actually applying to their school implied enough. Guess not.

Why X is always on the table. Think of it like the secret menu at In-N-Out.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:20 am

I heard from a guy who wasn't there that probably what happened was...

Your source, while impressive generally, doesn't have specific knowledge of the actual events. He's probably just wrong.

Not that that's any comfort, I suppose. Oh well. If you applied well, you'll get in somewhere good for you anyway.

dbrddr

Postby dbrddr » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 am

sanjola wrote:It makes sense if it's Arkansas

gee, thanks :p

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Ehh go to the higher ranked schools then, that's the smart move

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:01 pm

If this post was an LSAT question it would be a flaw question.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 pm

tomwatts wrote:I heard from a guy who wasn't there that probably what happened was...

Your source, while impressive generally, doesn't have specific knowledge of the actual events. He's probably just wrong.

+1. While older, established attorneys are good to talk to for general advice about the field, their advice on admissions, choosing a law school, and employment is often horrible.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:05 pm

Or your application had some problems.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Or your application had some problems.

I'm guessing some form of barely concealed rage.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Schools with "national" reputations like geographic diversity. They probably already had too many people from your state or undergraduate institution.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:56 pm

OP: Which law school ? Certain law schools are very protective of their turf &, as a result, show unusually high yields of admitted students. Compare Top 14 yields for the class entering Fall, 2009 with regional law school yields:

Yale 79%
Harvard 67%
Stanford 48%
UCal-Berkeley 36%
Columbia 32%
Virginia 31%
Michigan 31%
Northwestern 28%
Penn 28%
NYU 27%
Cornell 23%
Duke 19%
Chicago 19%
Georgetown 19%

Oklahoma 56%
New Mexico 46%
Montana 42%
Wyoming 42%
Kansas 42%
Rutgers-Camden 44%
Memphis 46%
Wisconsin 40%
Hawaii 39%
Maryland 38%
Nebraska 37%
Alabama 38%
Mississippi 37%
UNLV 37%
Missouri- Columbia 37%
Missouri-K.C. 35%
Arkansas-Fayetteville 35%
Idaho 32%
Florida 39%

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:15 pm

It's mildly irritating/hilarious to see stuff like this.

"Just got denied. Guess they aren't as holistic as they say."

"Got dinged. Must be YP."

What if you just weren't good enough for them?

Jackson Pollock

Postby Jackson Pollock » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Could be that your application came off as you having a tinge of entitlement.

Sort of like your OP.....

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Jackson Pollock wrote:

Could be that your application came off as you having a tinge of entitlement.

Sort of like your OP.....

TITCR

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”