Reply to student email from school you're not considering? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wiseguy33

Bronze

Reply to student email from school you're not considering?

Post by wiseguy33 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Sorry--terribly worded subject.

I'm sure many of you guys have also received Welcome! emails from students at law schools where you were admitted, but will not be attending. How did you reply? Just a basic thank you?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Reply to student email from school you're not considering?

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm a 2L who has to send out those sorts of emails. No one ever replies. We don't really care that no one ever replies.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:40 pm

I get an e-mail from California School of Law in my spam folder everyday. I just ignore it.

jcn4

New

Post by jcn4 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:47 pm

I responded to one from a school I'm actually interested and the guy seemed annoyed that I responded. Delete.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:48 pm

sanjola wrote:I get an e-mail from California School of Law in my spam folder everyday. I just ignore it.
I refuse to take myself off of that email list. It makes me giggle. What about having to pass the Baby Bar and having a passage rate in the 70s do they think will make someone want to attend their school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:55 pm

subtle wrote:
sanjola wrote:I get an e-mail from California School of Law in my spam folder everyday. I just ignore it.
I refuse to take myself off of that email list. It makes me giggle. What about having to pass the Baby Bar and having a passage rate in the 70s do they think will make someone want to attend their school?
Yeah I get a good laugh from those and Regent e-mails.

Do people actually apply to online law school? It's probably a step up from People's College, but still.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:00 pm

I respond to all of them, which so far is two. One actually was extremely useful and honest. The other seemed annoyed that I actually asked them questions. Ack.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:43 pm

I have received like 5 of these types of emails. I have responded to all of them with relevant questions about the specific school and about law school and legal work in general. Of all those, only 1 person actually bothered to right back and even attempt to answer anything. she was from a school I knew I wouldn't attend, but I figured, why not get some info anyway, and she was incredibly honest and helpful.
I guess my advice would be, if you have questions ask them, worse case you get no response. If you dont have questions ignore them, the person will probably be relieved.

jwrash

Bronze

Post by jwrash » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:46 pm

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I'm a 2L who has to send out those sorts of emails. No one ever replies. We don't really care that no one ever replies.
this is why I usually dont respond. i mean with TLS and the internet as resources not much else you could really ask

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:57 pm

HowdyYall wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I'm a 2L who has to send out those sorts of emails. No one ever replies. We don't really care that no one ever replies.
this is why I usually dont respond. i mean with TLS and the internet as resources not much else you could really ask

I mean I would love to answer questions, but no one ever responds.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:

Not to pry too much, but do you get paid to do that? Just asking out of complete curiosity.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:14 pm

sanjola wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:

Not to pry too much, but do you get paid to do that? Just asking out of complete curiosity.
I'm an "ambassador" for the law school. We don't get paid, but we get free lunch and dinner during admissions season whenever prospectives come into town for a tour. We also get to travel on the school's dime to law fairs. There is also an award with a perpetual plaque at the school for all graduating ambassadors.

Short answer: It's really just a way to get free food, meet people, and pad your resume. I actually enjoy doing it. It's always interesting to see all the prospectives.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Good to know. Wanted to make sure I wasn't committing some law school faux pas. I did apply to these schools, so these aren't just unsolicited emails, but I am no longer considering them for next year. The emails seemed personalized, so I wanted to be polite. Thanks for the info, everyone.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Don't respond.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:08 am

wiseguy33 wrote:Good to know. Wanted to make sure I wasn't committing some law school faux pas. I did apply to these schools, so these aren't just unsolicited emails, but I am no longer considering them for next year. The emails seemed personalized, so I wanted to be polite. Thanks for the info, everyone.
Personalized with facts about you or creepy/stalker personalized (i.e. Regent)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”