Held at Columbia 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crossingforHYS

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:59 am

amorfati wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:
amorfati wrote:Wow, I'm surprised I'm the first to post this - but I'm in off of the "hold" list as of yesterday! Has no one else heard back yet???

Anyway, I'm really glad I live in the city so that I can make it to the admitted students weekend, since it starts tomorrow...

CONGRATSSSSSSSS that is AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you submit any suppl. info?

Ah, nvm, I'm definitely not first - seems there's lots of chatter about this on the Columbia 2011 thread.

But thanks! I did submit a pretty passionate LOCI (gift of firstborn child, etc etc), and I was literally about to go visit this morning to sit in on a class until I saw the email. Now I'm going to spend my day writing them a letter to beg for financial aid news by April 4, which is when my NYU seat deposit would be due.

Yay though, so excited!!!

:). Yes the first born child thing seems to work :). You deserve it!!!! and if you don't get a lot of fin. aid and don't want to take out the money......
nyu is a great back-up plan! Have fun at ASD!

gonediving128

Postby gonediving128 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Just a quick LOCI question - is it acceptable to actually call the letter a "Letter of Continued Interest" when emailing it to Columbia, or is it standard to instead refer to it as an addendum, or an additional material, to be added to my application? Thanks for the help and best of luck to the rest of the held!

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:32 pm

gonediving128 wrote:Just a quick LOCI question - is it acceptable to actually call the letter a "Letter of Continued Interest" when emailing it to Columbia, or is it standard to instead refer to it as an addendum, or an additional material, to be added to my application? Thanks for the help and best of luck to the rest of the held!

I called it a loci....but didnt they say have your info by march 29th? the deadline passed...

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:37 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
gonediving128 wrote:Just a quick LOCI question - is it acceptable to actually call the letter a "Letter of Continued Interest" when emailing it to Columbia, or is it standard to instead refer to it as an addendum, or an additional material, to be added to my application? Thanks for the help and best of luck to the rest of the held!

I called it a loci....but didnt they say have your info by march 29th? the deadline passed...

I think some of the later hold emails had March 31st as the deadline....either way, please more movement for holds!!

hoping

Postby hoping » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Confused7 wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:

I think some of the later hold emails had March 31st as the deadline....either way, please more movement for holds!!

+ 50000000000000000000000!!!!

ringdabell

Postby ringdabell » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:35 am

Has anyone tried to go to the Admissions Office and talk to the officer?
I went there a few weeks ago and pretty much the lady at the door sitting at the reception area wont let me in and made me ask her all the questions STANDING by the doorway.
Is this normal?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:58 am

ringdabell wrote:Has anyone tried to go to the Admissions Office and talk to the officer?
I went there a few weeks ago and pretty much the lady at the door sitting at the reception area wont let me in and made me ask her all the questions STANDING by the doorway.
Is this normal?

Yes. It says on the website that you can talk to an admissions officer, but it is all lies.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Withdrew the other day. Good luck to those of you still waiting - hope you get good news soon!

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:46 am

any more news?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 am

crossingforHYS wrote:any more news?

jupiter wrote:got my acceptance email today
175/3.6
Held early feb
LOCI 2/25

From the regular Columbia thread.

swl56

Postby swl56 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:23 am

do you guys think it's worse to be a ED deferred applicant or an RD reserved/held applicant? :( no one talks about the former group, which i am a part of... any thoughts? i called the admissions office earlier today and they said i would get a response before the end of april, but i've heard rumors where they just don't get back to ED deferred applicants at all!?!?

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:28 am

swl56 wrote:do you guys think it's worse to be a ED deferred applicant or an RD reserved/held applicant? :( no one talks about the former group, which i am a part of... any thoughts? i called the admissions office earlier today and they said i would get a response before the end of april, but i've heard rumors where they just don't get back to ED deferred applicants at all!?!?

Oh, interesting, I didn't even know we were going to get responses by a set deadline. Good thing I got my LOCI in early.

From what I hear though, of the ED applicants who weren't admitted, pretty much everyone without terrible number was deferred. I have no idea how that'll play out now though. My gut feeling is, if they wouldn't take you with ED binding, they're probably not going to take you now unless you were a borderline admit at the time, you have a diversity factor they're looking for, or you improved your grades/LSAT in the past year.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:30 am

swl56 wrote:do you guys think it's worse to be a ED deferred applicant or an RD reserved/held applicant? :( no one talks about the former group, which i am a part of... any thoughts? i called the admissions office earlier today and they said i would get a response before the end of april, but i've heard rumors where they just don't get back to ED deferred applicants at all!?!?

In order from best to worst, I'd say Held > ED Deferred >>> Reserve. I say held is better than ED deferred simply because when you ED, there is a smaller applicant pool that CLS is comparing you to so not getting a nod that early in the process doesn't sound like it bodes too well for the applicant. That's just my two cents though.

swl56

Postby swl56 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:34 am

RJ127 wrote:

In order from best to worst, I'd say Held > ED Deferred >>> Reserve. I say held is better than ED deferred simply because when you ED, there is a smaller applicant pool that CLS is comparing you to so not getting a nod that early in the process doesn't sound like it bodes too well for the applicant. That's just my two cents though.

wiseguy and rj... both of your responses make sense... but isn't reserve and held the same thing???

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 am

swl56 wrote:wiseguy and rj... both of your responses make sense... but isn't reserve and held the same thing???

Not really. Held just means "we're gonna wait a little longer to make a decision" while reserve is a WL.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:51 am

swl56 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

wiseguy and rj... both of your responses make sense... but isn't reserve and held the same thing???

Reserve is the actual waitlist. Held means CLS is postponing a decision on an applicant after an initial review. No decision has been made for a held applicant. Reserve is a rendered decision. HTH.

Edit: Dany is quicker than I am.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:59 am

:D

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 am

Dany wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:any more news?

jupiter wrote:got my acceptance email today
175/3.6
Held early feb
LOCI 2/25

From the regular Columbia thread.

Thanks! I should visit that threat more often

agora139

Postby agora139 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:53 am

held on feb 3rd, and just got an admit email today!!!!!

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:58 am

agora139 wrote:held on feb 3rd, and just got an admit email today!!!!!

Congratulations!

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:58 am

Awesome-congrats!!!! Where are you leaning towards?

agora139

Postby agora139 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:

thanks cdubya! i'm sure your superlative LOCI editing skills pushed me over the top!

gahhh no idea! was fairly sold on michigan (as opposed to duke and nyu) but still needed to visit nyu...now need to visit nyu and columbia i guess! hard but happy decision to make :)

good luck to everyone still waiting!! there is hope for the held!

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:52 pm

congrats to all admitted but what about the enigmatic forgotten category. no decision whatsoever despite filing app. in november

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:06 pm

agora139 wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

thanks cdubya! i'm sure your superlative LOCI editing skills pushed me over the top!

gahhh no idea! was fairly sold on michigan (as opposed to duke and nyu) but still needed to visit nyu...now need to visit nyu and columbia i guess! hard but happy decision to make :)

huge congrats agora!!! mind sharing your numbers?

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:26 pm

agora139 wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

Haha glad to help!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”