Held at Columbia 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelaststraw05

Silver

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:08 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Hey, just checking in. Held a week or two ago. I don't plan on writing a LOCI.

Can anyone answer this honestly, rather than in a self-interested, "one less person in the held group" way? If I don't anticipate attending CLS without scholarship money, which is rather unlikely since I've been held for obviously non-YP reasons, is there any sense in waiting out a possible acceptance? Would a CLS acceptance be useful for negotiating scholarship money from MVPB? Would it be any better than a U Chicago or NYU acceptance for doing so?
I honestly would not expect that an acceptance at CLS would be any more valuable than an acceptance at Chicago or NYU.

I think that it is easier to use money to negotiate money than it is to use an acceptance to negotiate money.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Probably no point in hanging on just because schools will have exhausted their scholarship funds by the time you'd likely hear back from Columbia. With that said I don't see how it could really do any harm to just leave your name in the hat and do nothing (other than hurting everyone elses chance a little bit.)

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Probably no point in hanging on just because schools will have exhausted their scholarship funds by the time you'd likely hear back from Columbia. With that said I don't see how it could really do any harm to just leave your name in the hat and do nothing (other than hurting everyone elses chance a little bit.)
+1

I would certainly not discourage you from leaving your name in the hat.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Probably no point in hanging on just because schools will have exhausted their scholarship funds by the time you'd likely hear back from Columbia. With that said I don't see how it could really do any harm to just leave your name in the hat and do nothing (other than hurting everyone elses chance a little bit.)
Yeah. To be honest, I don't think any of you have anything to fear from me. I have a pretty darn low GPA for Columbia. Below 3.6. I'll mull this over and maybe withdraw, maybe wait it out. I wouldn't mind being able to tell people I was accepted at CLS, shallow as that may be. Plus, I filled out their long, annoying application. I think I'm owed at least a thumbs up or thumbs down.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:16 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
Yeah. To be honest, I don't think any of you have anything to fear from me. I have a pretty darn low GPA for Columbia. Below 3.6. I'll mull this over and maybe withdraw, maybe wait it out. I wouldn't mind being able to tell people I was accepted at CLS, shallow as that may be. Plus, I filled out their long, annoying application. I think I'm owed at least a thumbs up or thumbs down.
Hey, you've got a far better shot than some of us.

I have no clue how I've gotten this far. Should have been an auto-ding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:22 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Hey, just checking in. Held a week or two ago. I don't plan on writing a LOCI.

Can anyone answer this honestly, rather than in a self-interested, "one less person in the held group" way? If I don't anticipate attending CLS without scholarship money, which is rather unlikely since I've been held for obviously non-YP reasons, is there any sense in waiting out a possible acceptance? Would a CLS acceptance be useful for negotiating scholarship money from MVPB? Would it be any better than a U Chicago or NYU acceptance for doing so?
Can't hurt to wait it out. And you never know, CLS may give you some money if accepted, which you could def used to negotiate..

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:24 pm

I don't see any reason to withdraw, save for maybe not having to think about it. The acceptance certainly wouldn't hurt your negotiating position. Also, I don't think one more person withdrawing will be all that helpful...

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks for the honest advice, folks. I think I'll wait it out.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Hello topic, I am in you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I wonder if a lot of holds really will be admitted this year, or if it will be like last year :?

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:48 pm

dulcatis wrote:Hey guys <3

I am happy that the answer to the question, "wtf are they doing with my app??" was not paper airplanes.
Sorry Dulc. But WELCOME TO OUR AWESOME HELD CLUB!

awahoya

Bronze

Post by awahoya » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:04 pm

dulcatis wrote:Hey guys <3

I am happy that the answer to the question, "wtf are they doing with my app??" was not paper airplanes.
<3 this post and +1 on habit's sentiments :)

Got the held e-mail abroad this morning (I guess afternoon for y'all)

Grumbles, don't worry- it seems like there are a few of us here with lower GPA's than you (looking at my GPA twins Straw & Brit :) )

Evrydyhonestliar

Bronze

Post by Evrydyhonestliar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 pm

After joining this club last week, I've decided to forgo the LOCI and just ride this out. While a CLS acceptance would be awesome, I'm willing to just wait and see...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

padthai

Bronze

Post by padthai » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Evrydyhonestliar wrote:After joining this club last week, I've decided to forgo the LOCI and just ride this out. While a CLS acceptance would be awesome, I'm willing to just wait and see...
Same here, don't think anything I say at this point will make much of an impact. CLS is a top school already and they know why I wanna go. Just gotta keep my fingers crossed!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Checking-in. Staying on but not writing an LOCI. Figured I might as well hang on just in case since Ive paid the $12 report fee already.

1001ArabiaNights

New

Post by 1001ArabiaNights » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:25 pm

thecilent wrote:I wonder if a lot of holds really will be admitted this year, or if it will be like last year :?
Were most of last year's held applications eventually dinged?

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:57 pm

1001ArabiaNights wrote:
thecilent wrote:I wonder if a lot of holds really will be admitted this year, or if it will be like last year :?
vast majority were put on reserve.

makes me wonder why some were put straight on the reserve list, and some were held. Which one is the better outcome?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:08 pm

amkid100 wrote:
1001ArabiaNights wrote:
vast majority were put on reserve.

makes me wonder why some were put straight on the reserve list, and some were held. Which one is the better outcome?
I tell myself hold because I can still be accepted or WLed. But the other point of view is that we can still get dinged.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:01 pm

I kinda wish I sent this in place of a LOCI:
TheLastStraw05 wrote:Dear Columbia Law School:

I wish to inform you that, after careful consideration, your school has been placed in my "Hold" category. which means that you are still under active consideration for where I might attend.

To proved a context for your present status, I have applied to a dozen schools, been accepted at nine, and received merit based scholarships at three. This year I will only be selecting one school to attend, and this year's pool of schools is among the largest and most qualified in my history. Therefore, your current standing represents a testament to Columbia Law School's unique strengths and fit.

While I cannot speculate on my final decision, I want you to know that you are among a select group of schools that I continue to consider - and will continue to consider throughout the rest of this application season. While I know that a last minute decision on my behalf might not be convenient for you, I will let you know by sometime in May.

In the interim, should you wish to admit me by March 31st, I will gladly consider that supplemental material in my decision. If during this time you decide that you no longer wish to be considered for my attendance, kindly notify me by contacting me at XXXXXXX@gmail.com.

Thank you again for your patience. I look forward to being in touch as soon as I receive a decision.

Sincerely,

TheLastStraw05

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:20 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:I kinda wish I sent this in place of a LOCI:

I wish to inform you that, after careful consideration, your school has been placed in my "Hold" category. which means that you are still under active consideration for where I might attend.

To proved a context for your present status, I have applied to a dozen schools, been accepted at nine, and received merit based scholarships at three. This year I will only be selecting one school to attend, and this year's pool of schools is among the largest and most qualified in my history. Therefore, your current standing represents a testament to Columbia Law School's unique strengths and fit.

While I cannot speculate on my final decision, I want you to know that you are among a select group of schools that I continue to consider - and will continue to consider throughout the rest of this application season. While I know that a last minute decision on my behalf might not be convenient for you, I will let you know by sometime in May.

In the interim, should you wish to admit me by March 31st, I will gladly consider that supplemental material in my decision. If during this time you decide that you no longer wish to be considered for my attendance, kindly notify me by contacting me at XXXXXXX@gmail.com.

Thank you again for your patience. I look forward to being in touch as soon as I receive a decision.

Sincerely,

TheLastStraw05
QF because I laughed a lot at this. I feel like they would have to laugh as well if you sent this in

spaceman82

New

Post by spaceman82 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:I kinda wish I sent this in place of a LOCI:

Sincerely,

TheLastStraw05
Loved this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Oh hai guys.

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Knock wrote:Oh hai guys.
you too :(

nyankees51

New

Post by nyankees51 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Hey guys just wondering if you think its worth it to send an updated grad school transcript. I sent an LOCI that says my GPA for fall but is it worth also sending the transcript seperate?

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:52 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Knock wrote:Oh hai guys.
you too :(
+1 :?

and The Last Straw, I am increasingly coming to agree that we should attempt to attend the same law school :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”