Held at Columbia 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
masterthearts

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby masterthearts » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Confused7 wrote:Given that the Held email gave us a deadline of March 29th (or thereabouts) to send in additional information, I doubt they'll be looking at us until then. :(

I also got a HOLD email from Harvard LAW. (I am flattered). Anyone else in the same boat?

deathviaboredom

Postby deathviaboredom » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 pm

masterthearts wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Given that the Held email gave us a deadline of March 29th (or thereabouts) to send in additional information, I doubt they'll be looking at us until then. :(

I also got a HOLD email from Harvard LAW. (I am flattered). Anyone else in the same boat?

oui.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:28 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:
masterthearts wrote:

oui.

A lot of us...including me!

hoping

Postby hoping » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:40 pm

is deferred from ed to rd considered held? bec...then i can join this page :( as for harvard held +1 for me...

noncontributingzero

Postby noncontributingzero » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:44 pm

No movement, just a plea for some advice.

Columbia is my top choice. I have above 75th GPA and below 25th LSAT. I took the LSAT twice and got the exact same score. The score is well below all of my practice exams. (Probably the story of thousands of LSAT takers). Both times I was extremely nervous and bombed the first section compared to all subsequent sections. Does mentioning this fact in my LOCI make me sound like excuse maker more than anything else? Do they care about the LSAT number as a measure of academic ability or, more cynically, do they care about the numbers they have to report, in which case my sob story wouldn't really matter? I just hate the feeling that my subpar LSAT score is holding me back. End rant.

snowkat

Postby snowkat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Held in Feb. 3.5/174. Just saying hi.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:58 pm

noncontributingzero wrote:No movement, just a plea for some advice.

Columbia is my top choice. I have above 75th GPA and below 25th LSAT. I took the LSAT twice and got the exact same score. The score is well below all of my practice exams. (Probably the story of thousands of LSAT takers). Both times I was extremely nervous and bombed the first section compared to all subsequent sections. Does mentioning this fact in my LOCI make me sound like excuse maker more than anything else? Do they care about the LSAT number as a measure of academic ability or, more cynically, do they care about the numbers they have to report, in which case my sob story wouldn't really matter? I just hate the feeling that my subpar LSAT score is holding me back. End rant.

To be absolutely fair, you can include an addendum about your LSAT due to test day anxiety but I am not sure how far that will get you with CLS. CLS is a top institution, so for every candidate like you that has above 75% gpa and below 25% LSAT, CLS can find another candidate with #s above both medians which might fare better for them. Having said that, they won't necessarily look at the LSAT in terms of your potential to succeed in the class, it is more of a statistical data point to boost their medians.

I do however, encourage you to explain your anxiety to them in a heartfelt LOCI, complemented with a detailed explanation of the specific programs that CLS offers that are of high interest to you. Perhaps stating your desire to attend, regardless of your other acceptances might also be a beneficial point to hit in your LOCI. If you can combine these elements in your paper, it might be able to help you out. I don't want to get your hopes up or alternatively crush them; I'm just trying to be as fair as possible. Best of luck though.

noncontributingzero

Postby noncontributingzero » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:05 pm

RJ127 wrote:

To be absolutely fair, you can include an addendum about your LSAT due to test day anxiety but I am not sure how far that will get you with CLS. CLS is a top institution, so for every candidate like you that has above 75% gpa and below 25% LSAT, CLS can find another candidate with #s above both medians which might fare better for them. Having said that, they won't necessarily look at the LSAT in terms of your potential to succeed in the class, it is more of a statistical data point to boost their medians.

I do however, encourage you to explain your anxiety to them in a heartfelt LOCI, complemented with a detailed explanation of the specific programs that CLS offers that are of high interest to you. Perhaps stating your desire to attend, regardless of your other acceptances might also be a beneficial point to hit in your LOCI. If you can combine these elements in your paper, it might be able to help you out. I don't want to get your hopes up or alternatively crush them; I'm just trying to be as fair as possible. Best of luck though.

Thank you for the thoughful response! That is pretty much exactly what my LOCI looks like right now, but I just wanted to confirm that I could talk about text anxiety without sounding ridiculous.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:10 pm

noncontributingzero wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

Thank you for the thoughful response! That is pretty much exactly what my LOCI looks like right now, but I just wanted to confirm that I could talk about text anxiety without sounding ridiculous.

Np. My stance is: If it's true, use it. I just wouldn't recommend someone who didn't study hard enough for the exam to attempt to justify their underperformance by using an "anxiety" excuse, or any other dishonest means of justification. But yours was an honest condition, so you should honestly be able to talk about it.

cassidylane

Postby cassidylane » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Helloooo, joining you all.

aacharya

Postby aacharya » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:30 pm

cassidylane wrote:Helloooo, joining you all.

+1 from the wave of holds earlier this week.

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:13 pm

aacharya wrote:
cassidylane wrote:Helloooo, joining you all.

+1 from the wave of holds earlier this week.

Welcome. But realize we haven't seen movement 'round these parts in a long, long time. And by that I mean "at all."

noncontributingzero

Postby noncontributingzero » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 pm

For people who sent a LOCI, how long did it take to get confirmation that it was received?

I sent mine by snail mail last week, and haven't heard anything.

aacharya

Postby aacharya » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:36 pm

noncontributingzero wrote:For people who sent a LOCI, how long did it take to get confirmation that it was received?

I sent mine by snail mail last week, and haven't heard anything.

I emailed mine, got confirmation the next day.

ringdabell

Postby ringdabell » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:31 pm

huh. you do get the confirmations?

I sent in updated materials twice, never got any email about it.... :roll:

GraniteState

Postby GraniteState » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:27 am

Anyone think there's any chance us holds will hear before the second half of April?

Edit to add: Longer they wait, the more I'm picturing myself at NYU...

logistikon

Postby logistikon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:34 pm

In via e-mail today, take me off the forgotten list :mrgreen: good luck everyone!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:38 pm

logistikon wrote:In via e-mail today, take me off the forgotten list :mrgreen: good luck everyone!

Were you held or just "forgotten"?

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:38 pm

pereira6 wrote:
logistikon wrote:In via e-mail today, take me off the forgotten list :mrgreen: good luck everyone!

+1

hoping

Postby hoping » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Kwax wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

+1

he was forgotten not held!!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:43 pm

hoping wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. No way they made a decision on a held applicant. That dude or chick just threw a grenade in this thread.

ringdabell

Postby ringdabell » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:59 pm

pereira6 wrote:
hoping wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. No way they made a decision on a held applicant. That dude or chick just threw a grenade in this thread.

grenade haha :lol:

any idea when we'd be starting to hear back?

and anybody know how likely it is to b taken out of the hold list?

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:51 am

Wow, I'm surprised I'm the first to post this - but I'm in off of the "hold" list as of yesterday! Has no one else heard back yet???

Anyway, I'm really glad I live in the city so that I can make it to the admitted students weekend, since it starts tomorrow...

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:53 am

amorfati wrote:Wow, I'm surprised I'm the first to post this - but I'm in off of the "hold" list as of yesterday! Has no one else heard back yet???

Anyway, I'm really glad I live in the city so that I can make it to the admitted students weekend, since it starts tomorrow...

CONGRATSSSSSSSS that is AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you submit any suppl. info?

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 am

crossingforHYS wrote:
amorfati wrote:Wow, I'm surprised I'm the first to post this - but I'm in off of the "hold" list as of yesterday! Has no one else heard back yet???

CONGRATSSSSSSSS that is AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you submit any suppl. info?

Ah, nvm, I'm definitely not first - seems there's lots of chatter about this on the Columbia 2011 thread.

But thanks! I did submit a pretty passionate LOCI (gift of firstborn child, etc etc), and I was literally about to go visit this morning to sit in on a class until I saw the email. Now I'm going to spend my day writing them a letter to beg for financial aid news by April 4, which is when my NYU seat deposit would be due.

Yay though, so excited!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”