Held at Columbia 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
nerdherder
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby nerdherder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Good luck everybody!
Last edited by nerdherder on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

supahstahxruv
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby supahstahxruv » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:11 pm

nerdherder wrote:Joining the club! So do we all think this means nobody looks at our apps again until April 22?

Also, if anyone is willing to let me see their LOCI, I'd forever appreciate it! PM me


IIRC, my hold letter said that they would release a decision BY April 22nd, so I assume that they are will still be looking at them over the next few weeks/month

GraniteState
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby GraniteState » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:51 am

supahstahxruv wrote:
nerdherder wrote:Joining the club! So do we all think this means nobody looks at our apps again until April 22?

Also, if anyone is willing to let me see their LOCI, I'd forever appreciate it! PM me


IIRC, my hold letter said that they would release a decision BY April 22nd, so I assume that they are will still be looking at them over the next few weeks/month


I'm not expecting anything before mid-April at the earliest. People say they're using holds differently this year and I believe it because of the stats of people who got held, but I still think "hold" means "don't call us, we'll call you."

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:19 am

They did give us a deadline of the end of March to send in additional materials, so I doubt they'll be looking at us before then. When I called to ask, I was told that they couldn't guarantee a response before April 22nd. Lucky us!

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Visited today. It is a beautiful campus and I like the fact that the vat majority of students live within 8 blocks of campus. On the sign in sheet there were at least 4 other held applicants who had stopped in today.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Confused7 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Has anyone been admitted in these past few weeks?

c_dubya_s
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby c_dubya_s » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Confused7 wrote:Has anyone been admitted in these past few weeks?


From the held group? No.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Confused7 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:43 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Has anyone been admitted in these past few weeks?


From the held group? No.


:( But there have been admits from the other groups, I'm assuming...

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:01 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Visited today. It is a beautiful campus and I like the fact that the vat majority of students live within 8 blocks of campus. On the sign in sheet there were at least 4 other held applicants who had stopped in today.


Did you schedule an official visit? I'll be out in NY in a few weeks and I would like to set something up with CLS.

afLSAT
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby afLSAT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Does anyone know what their seat-deposit deadline is? Perhaps they're withholding judgment on the held group until they receive yay-or-nay from current admits.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 pm

RJ127 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Visited today. It is a beautiful campus and I like the fact that the vat majority of students live within 8 blocks of campus. On the sign in sheet there were at least 4 other held applicants who had stopped in today.


Did you schedule an official visit? I'll be out in NY in a few weeks and I would like to set something up with CLS.


They don't schedule visits. They allow you to drop by, pick up a tour pamphlet, and walk yourself around. After you complete your self-guided tour you may speak with an admissions officer. They also have a posted class schedule so that you may select and attend a class on your own.

ringdabell
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby ringdabell » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:35 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Visited today. It is a beautiful campus and I like the fact that the vat majority of students live within 8 blocks of campus. On the sign in sheet there were at least 4 other held applicants who had stopped in today.


Did you schedule an official visit? I'll be out in NY in a few weeks and I would like to set something up with CLS.


They don't schedule visits. They allow you to drop by, pick up a tour pamphlet, and walk yourself around. After you complete your self-guided tour you may speak with an admissions officer. They also have a posted class schedule so that you may select and attend a class on your own.




Did you get to talk to the admissions officer who is other than the one at the front desk?

Cailg
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Cailg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:51 pm

"I'm not expecting anything before mid-April at the earliest. People say they're using holds differently this year and I believe it because of the stats of people who got held, but I still think "hold" means "don't call us, we'll call you." "


Do you mean to say that the people who were held have better stats than people who got held in past years or worse stats? I'm still trying to figure out what people are thinking when they say that they are using the hold option differently this year. I know we don't know how they are using it differently but are people suspecting this is a good thing or what?

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby masterthearts » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm

I also got a HOLD at Harvard, in addition to CLS. Anyone else here also held at Harvard?

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Visited today. It is a beautiful campus and I like the fact that the vat majority of students live within 8 blocks of campus. On the sign in sheet there were at least 4 other held applicants who had stopped in today.


Are people thinking that visiting will help prove our interest? (And likelihood to attend if accepted off of held list?) I already visited, more than a year ago, but maybe I should repeat.

nadopretz
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby nadopretz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:57 pm

masterthearts wrote:I also got a HOLD at Harvard, in addition to CLS. Anyone else here also held at Harvard?


I am. Not looking pretty from where I am sitting. No further word from CLS, or Harvard. No JR1. You?

c_dubya_s
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 pm

nadopretz wrote:
masterthearts wrote:I also got a HOLD at Harvard, in addition to CLS. Anyone else here also held at Harvard?


I am. Not looking pretty from where I am sitting. No further word from CLS, or Harvard. No JR1. You?


Also held at both. Sent in a LOCI to each, so we'll see where that gets me.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:48 pm

nadopretz wrote:
masterthearts wrote:I also got a HOLD at Harvard, in addition to CLS. Anyone else here also held at Harvard?


I am. Not looking pretty from where I am sitting. No further word from CLS, or Harvard. No JR1. You?


Make that three of us. No JR1 here either.

dreamster
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby dreamster » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Make that 4.

User avatar
Weirdlog
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Weirdlog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:53 pm

dreamster wrote:Make that 4.


I'm in this depressing, depressing group as well.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Weirdlog wrote:
dreamster wrote:Make that 4.


I'm in this depressing, depressing group as well.


I just really hope CLS actively using the hold list. Seems like a bunch of people still have no decisions.

User avatar
Weirdlog
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Weirdlog » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Hard to believe that there's been absolutely no movement here.

WTF, Columbia?

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:59 pm

RJ127 wrote:
Weirdlog wrote:
dreamster wrote:Make that 4.


I'm in this depressing, depressing group as well.


I just really hope CLS actively using the hold list. Seems like a bunch of people still have no decisions.


By a "bunch" do you mean like EVERYONE who's been held? Unless I missed some recent wave!

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:04 pm

Confused7 wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
Weirdlog wrote:
dreamster wrote:Make that 4.


I'm in this depressing, depressing group as well.


I just really hope CLS actively using the hold list. Seems like a bunch of people still have no decisions.


By a "bunch" do you mean like EVERYONE who's been held? Unless I missed some recent wave!


Yeah, basically everyone haha.

@weirdlog...based on last year's stats, initial movement from held group came in April, around the 10th IIRC.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Postby Confused7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:07 pm

Given that the Held email gave us a deadline of March 29th (or thereabouts) to send in additional information, I doubt they'll be looking at us until then. :(




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”