Held at Columbia 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeachedBrit

Bronze

Held at Columbia 2011

Post by BeachedBrit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:13 pm

This thread is for all those that have been held at Columbia. What are you guys doing, withdrawing or trying to ride it out? Personally I'm planning to deposit elsewhere but try to ride it out. Also getting 2 more LOR's, updating my transcript and updating my resume for new positions and honors. Hopefully it'll get me somewhere.

Also it seems like a LOT of people with a very scattered group of numbers were held (174/3.5 here.)

c_dubya_s

Silver

Re: Held at Columbia 2011

Post by c_dubya_s » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:01 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:This thread is for all those that have been held at Columbia. What are you guys doing, withdrawing or trying to ride it out? Personally I'm planning to deposit elsewhere but try to ride it out. Also getting 2 more LOR's, updating my transcript and updating my resume for new positions and honors. Hopefully it'll get me somewhere.

Also it seems like a LOT of people with a very scattered group of numbers were held (174/3.5 here.)
Yay for a new held thread. I'm gonna LOCI it up and hope for the best (already updated my transcript, and submitted 4 LORs with my app).

FYI--I was going to submit an updated resume, but the Columbia admissions office told me to just include the information in my LOCI when I called.

Weirdlog

Bronze

Post by Weirdlog » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Joining. I'm not sure if I'm going to write a LOCI, but I'm leaning towards not doing one.

If something at HYS works out, then I'll probably withdraw, because it really doesn't look like CLS is going to be throwing any money at me at this point.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:56 pm

I already had a trip planned to NYC in early March. I'm going to go up a day early and visit the school. I will probably hand deliver a LOCI at that point.

Hopefully that will make it clear how much I want to go?

One of the things that is a positive about being held is that we will hear by April 22... before I have to give money to anyone else.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:I already had a trip planned to NYC in early March. I'm going to go up a day early and visit the school. I will probably hand deliver a LOCI at that point.

Hopefully that will make it clear how much I want to go?

One of the things that is a positive about being held is that we will hear by April 22... before I have to give money to anyone else.
True, except that the most likely April reply is waitlist. Not very helpful. (Edit: Unless it's different this year!! Now I find myself hoping that the Rubensteins and the trickle-down scholarship money at Chicago will lure people away from CLS.)

I am torn. I think I will write a LOCI to CLS (along with NYU and Chi), but will then completely put the question out of my mind and focus on deciding between Mich, Penn and Cornell. And then re-evaluate when I inevitably get waitlisted in April. (Or dinged, which would be easier I guess.)

Besides a LOCI reiterating my interest, I don't have that much to add. I'm out of undergrad, so my transript/extracurriculars haven't changed. I'm at the same job I was at before. I could add an LOR from my boss, but I've only been there for about 4 months and I've heard that an LOR from someone who hasn't known you for way longer than that is sort of useless.

Beached Brit, it sounds like if anyone has a chance to get in off of the hold, it's you, with your numbers and additional info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hotthaichick

Bronze

Post by hotthaichick » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm also planning on writing an LOCI to Columbia. They already requested my fall grades so they have my most updated transcript. I'm not feeling very positive about my chances with Columbia but it'll be good to have an LOCI written since I'm sure I'll need to send one to Chicago too in the next couple of weeks (unless they reject me).

I am so tired of waiting...

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Checking in... Also gonna write a LOCI, hopefully I can get a good start on it this weekend.

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:22 pm

What up - also held. Not goin to write anything, if they dont want me then so be it. I do have another lor that I might as well send - it's on lsac, can I just assign it to be sent? Should I email to let them know it's coming?

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:24 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:What up - also held. Not goin to write anything, if they dont want me then so be it. I do have another lor that I might as well send - it's on lsac, can I just assign it to be sent? Should I email to let them know it's coming?
You don't need to let them know it's coming, but probably not a bad idea. At very least, it shows you have a level of interest. And not nearly as time consuming as a LOCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:58 pm

If it's at all possible (if you can get the recommender to do it) I would send them the new LOR directly as well as sending to/from LSAC. From looking back through past held threads the successful ones seem to be those that had as much direct contact as possible. I'm also looking at the fact that they ask for transcript updates directly rather via LSAC.

AriB

New

Post by AriB » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:02 pm

i was also held with a 169/4.02. my gpa did not change this semester which was also my last. should i send in new transcripts? What do you think my chances are at getting in? oh and i just got waitlist from upenn does that mean my chances are worse?

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:10 pm

working on my LOCI right now. good luck, everyone!

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:18 pm

got my loci in, they were quick to update my file.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

1001ArabiaNights

New

Post by 1001ArabiaNights » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:51 am

I was WL'ed by Columbia when I was applying to UG and now am held. Back then, I was accepted to some comparable schools and so did not write a LOCI; I'm in the same situation now an am debating whether or not to write one.

Does anyone else find being held is slightly off-putting?

I mean, absent a significant "hotness gap," wouldn't you rather date the girl who shows an immediate interest in you then the one who keeps you on the "friend burner" while she waits to see if the quarterback will ask her out by Valentine's Day?

I swear I'm not trying to encourage other T6 ot T10 admits to forgo writing a LOCI in order to improve my own chances. In fact, my feelings are likely the unintended byproduct of an evolutionary habit to maximize reproductive potential, while a sober cost-benefit analysis would tell me that spending an hour drafting a letter is well-worth preserving my chances at attending CLS.

But then again, I'm also psychologically predisposed to overvalue options...

PS: Does being held mean that there is zero chance for $?
Last edited by 1001ArabiaNights on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:54 am

So I was looking at the letter again. The last line says:
Columbia Law School wrote:We look forward to being in touch with you as soon as the Committee has rendered a decision.
Thoughts?

Does anyone think that this means that we could be hearing in March? Do they tend to whittle down the hold list as the weeks pass or do we all get decisions at about the same time?

LOCI sent.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 am

1001ArabiaNights wrote: Does anyone else find being held is slightly off-putting?

I mean, absent a significant "hotness gap," wouldn't you rather date the girl who shows an immediate interest in you then the one who keeps you on the "friend burner" while she waits to see if the quarterback will ask her out by Valentine's Day?
I am more than willing to be CLS's second best.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:So I was looking at the letter again. The last line says:
Columbia Law School wrote:We look forward to being in touch with you as soon as the Committee has rendered a decision.
Thoughts?

Does anyone think that this means that we could be hearing in March? Do they tend to whittle down the hold list as the weeks pass or do we all get decisions at about the same time?

LOCI sent.
When I called them to ask, they said that they could not guarantee a decision before April 22nd. I think if you hear earlier, it might be a good sign. Those waiting until the end of April (likely me included) might just get waitlisted. =/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ellewoods2

New

Post by ellewoods2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:14 pm

If anyone has e-mailed over a LOCI, did they e-mail you back to acknowledge they received it? If so, about how long did that take?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:21 pm

ellewoods2 wrote:If anyone has e-mailed over a LOCI, did they e-mail you back to acknowledge they received it? If so, about how long did that take?
Yes - they emailed me back within about ten minutes and said:
CLS Admissions wrote:Thank you for your interest in Columbia Law School. We will add this update to your file.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Hey guys <3

I am happy that the answer to the question, "wtf are they doing with my app??" was not paper airplanes.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:27 pm

I sent a new LOR, but no LOCI. I have nothing to say to you, CLS. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Hold ftl.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:31 pm

I won't be sending anything, in case people are curious. TOO LAZY, esp since a hold makes me think absolutely no scholly stuff.

ETA: 4000th post! So here's one of my fav lolcats to commemorate the occasion. I'll dedicate this one to CLS:

Last edited by 4102011 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:31 pm

Columbia was the highest ranked school I even applied to. I got a fee waiver and just assumed I wouldn't get in - not a bad assumption with a 171/3.5.

So I'm actually ridiculously excited to be held and will do what I can to pursue them.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Anyone willing to PM me their LOCI and/or swap LOCI's? Just trying to get a feel for what other people are saying.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:05 pm

Hey, just checking in. Held a week or two ago. I don't plan on writing a LOCI.

Can anyone answer this honestly, rather than in a self-interested, "one less person in the held group" way? If I don't anticipate attending CLS without scholarship money, which is rather unlikely since I've been held for obviously non-YP reasons, is there any sense in waiting out a possible acceptance? Would a CLS acceptance be useful for negotiating scholarship money from MVPB? Would it be any better than a U Chicago or NYU acceptance for doing so?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”