Visit Advice

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HopefullyLaw

Visit Advice

Postby HopefullyLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 pm

I was recently wait listed at a top-twenty school. My LSAT score is quite lower than the school's median, but my GPA is above the school's seventy-fifth percentile. I sent in a letter of continued interest, along with an updated resume. Additionally, a graduate of the law school who already wrote a letter of recommendation when I first applied is now offering to write a letter urging the school to accept me (recommender was also wait listed before he was accepted to the law school). I am thinking about visiting within the next two weeks. Would a visit to the school and a meeting with an admissions counselor increase my chances of gaining admission?

Thank you in advance.

glacierfrost

Re: Advice

Postby glacierfrost » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:56 pm

It definitely cannot hurt and if anything will bolster your chances. Just make sure you don't do anything egregiously dumb or make a bad impression.

ran12

Re: Advice

Postby ran12 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:57 pm

HopefullyLaw wrote:I was recently wait listed at a top-twenty school. My LSAT score is quite lower than the school's median, but my GPA is above the school's seventy-fifth percentile. I sent in a letter of continued interest, along with an updated resume. Additionally, a graduate of the law school who already wrote a letter of recommendation when I first applied is now offering to write a letter urging the school to accept me (recommender was also wait listed before he was accepted to the law school). I am thinking about visiting within the next two weeks. Would a visit to the school and a meeting with an admissions counselor increase my chances of gaining admission?

Thank you in advance.

Doing all that can help but if really depends on the school. All schools say they're looking at things past your gpa and lsat but many schools don't really and you are essentially a number to them. Anyway good luck.

HopefullyLaw

Re: Visit Advice

Postby HopefullyLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for your advice. How can I tell the admissions counselor that the school is my number one choice and that if they offered me admission on the spot, I'd sign on the dotted line? I don't want to come off as someone who hasn't thought through their visit to the school, et cetera.

Edit: The school in question is between #15 and #20 in the rankings.

ran12

Re: Visit Advice

Postby ran12 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:07 pm

HopefullyLaw wrote:Thanks for your advice. How can I tell the admissions counselor that the school is my number one choice and that if they offered me admission on the spot, I'd sign on the dotted line? I don't want to come off as someone who hasn't thought through their visit to the school, et cetera.

Edit: The school in question is between #15 and #20 in the rankings.

In your LOCI, just say it's your top choice. There's no other way to do it but be honest. When you visit and meet with admissions, ask intelligent questions that show you really did your HW. Go through their website, blogs, articles. Anything that can help you learn about the school and what it offers so that when the time comes to impress them, you'll be able to.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”