Deferrals?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lolschool2011

Deferrals?

Postby lolschool2011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:45 pm

Who has successfully requested a deferral that was granted? I might have to put LS off for a year, so i'm looking for some deferral stories from the TLS community. How about scholarship... was anyone able to get that to carry over as well?

rinkrat19

Re: Deferrals?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:54 pm

I applied for a deferral at Northwestern this year. I had to send in my $750 seat deposit (for this fall) before I could request it, which kinda sucked. But I called the NU admissions office and was told that at this point in the cycle (last week, that is) they're "fairly generous" with granting deferrals.

What little info I've managed to glean from TLS suggests that if you request it early and can articulate some sort of reasonable excuse WHY you want the deferral, schools are reasonably lax about granting them. But If you wait too long in the cycle to request one, you'd better have a death in the family, natural disaster or major medical issue.

Of course, I'm still waiting to hear back on my request, so this could all be total bullshit.

lolschool2011

Re: Deferrals?

Postby lolschool2011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I applied for a deferral at Northwestern this year. I had to send in my $750 seat deposit (for this fall) before I could request it, which kinda sucked. But I called the NU admissions office and was told that at this point in the cycle (last week, that is) they're "fairly generous" with granting deferrals.

What little info I've managed to glean from TLS suggests that if you request it early and can articulate some sort of reasonable excuse WHY you want the deferral, schools are reasonably lax about granting them. But If you wait too long in the cycle to request one, you'd better have a death in the family, natural disaster or major medical issue.

Of course, I'm still waiting to hear back on my request, so this could all be total bullshit.

Yeah, understandable. I'm thinking the probabilities of getting a deferral are extremely high, unless I'm missing something from the school's perspective.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”