UALR (Arkansas -Little Rock) 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ScrabbleChamp

UALR (Arkansas -Little Rock) 2011

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:56 pm

I know this is a bit below the level of most TLSers, however, I figured I'd start the thread to see if there is anyone out there that has also been accepted. I am traveling to Little Rock next week and have meetings with the Dean of Admissions and the Director of the Tax Clinic. If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask, please respond in this thread and I will do my best to find out the information for you.

TruffleMomma

Re: UALR (Arkansas -Little Rock) 2011

Postby TruffleMomma » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:54 pm

I am at UA-Fayetteville- good luck with your interview. Are you an AR native, or like me? (from GA)

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 pm

TruffleMomma wrote:I am at UA-Fayetteville- good luck with your interview. Are you an AR native, or like me? (from GA)

I'm in the south, but not an AR native. Every interaction I've had with the school has been splendid. UALR is definitely on my list of possibilities as it will be free (scholarships), is in a major city of the state, and I have no preference of where I work. I just want to be able to find a decent job as a lawyer. I am still waiting to hear back from Fayetteville for non-index admission. I applied and a week later they sent me a letter informing me I wasn't eligible for regular admission, but they had me fill out a supplemental form and send it back. That was in November. I was told non-index admits are usually notified in the April/May time period, so I'm still waiting.

How far of a drive is Fayettville from Little Rock?

TruffleMomma

Postby TruffleMomma » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:32 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
TruffleMomma wrote:I am at UA-Fayetteville- good luck with your interview. Are you an AR native, or like me? (from GA)

I'm in the south, but not an AR native. Every interaction I've had with the school has been splendid. UALR is definitely on my list of possibilities as it will be free (scholarships), is in a major city of the state, and I have no preference of where I work. I just want to be able to find a decent job as a lawyer. I am still waiting to hear back from Fayetteville for non-index admission. I applied and a week later they sent me a letter informing me I wasn't eligible for regular admission, but they had me fill out a supplemental form and send it back. That was in November. I was told non-index admits are usually notified in the April/May time period, so I'm still waiting.

How far of a drive is Fayettville from Little Rock?

It is about a three hour drive... but right now we are totally snowed and iced in... our classes were canceled Tues-Fri. Waiting to see what happens next week as more snow is forecast. It is an amazing difference between the campuses. I won't make any negative commentary about ULAR- I just know nothing of it- I know the two areas just from driving through. Little Rock is bigger and more Metro- kinda reminds me of Memphis but smaller. F'ville is a college town with mountains, bike paths, great transportation, and tons of things to do also. Law school is rigorous here and offers no night school or part time enrollment. Two different worlds...but of course, I like UA-Fayetteville best. :wink:

jaymaynard

Postby jaymaynard » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Just got offered in-state tuition and 18k. Wasn't considering strongly before, but I definitely am now.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:27 pm

jaymaynard wrote:Just got offered in-state tuition and 18k. Wasn't considering strongly before, but I definitely am now.

I had a wonderful conversation with Dean Taylor today, so if you have any questions, let me know. I will say this: After meeting with Dean Taylor and having him take me on a tour of the school and being completely frank with all his answers, I'd be very comfortable going to this school. It was a very candid conversation, and he was great.

jaymaynard

Postby jaymaynard » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
jaymaynard wrote:Just got offered in-state tuition and 18k. Wasn't considering strongly before, but I definitely am now.

I had a wonderful conversation with Dean Taylor today, so if you have any questions, let me know. I will say this: After meeting with Dean Taylor and having him take me on a tour of the school and being completely frank with all his answers, I'd be very comfortable going to this school. It was a very candid conversation, and he was great.

Just sent you a PM. Thanks in advance

ratpack82

Postby ratpack82 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Anyone who was waitlisted back in November heard anything yet? I notice on LSN people with worst numbers than people that were wailisted back in November have been accepted recently even though they applied way later. Does this school penalize people for applying early?

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 pm

I just got in with full ride, thinking about going to admitted students week i think it's next week. anyone else going?

jmill

Postby jmill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:03 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:I just got in with full ride, thinking about going to admitted students week i think it's next week. anyone else going?

Congrats. Got in the awhile ago at almost full tuition....I'll probably be at their ASD too.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm still considering.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:16 pm

jmill wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:I just got in with full ride, thinking about going to admitted students week i think it's next week. anyone else going?

Congrats. Got in the awhile ago at almost full tuition....I'll probably be at their ASD too.

Cool, I'll be driving from texas so I hope the 5 hour drive will be worth it.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
jmill wrote:

It's "meh" as campuses go. The low cost is the most appealing thing IMHO.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:22 pm

txadv11 wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:
jmill wrote:

It's "meh" as campuses go. The low cost is the most appealing thing IMHO.

Yeah? What about job prospects? I see on TLS that the median salary is 50k, thats pretty shitty

jmill

Postby jmill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
jmill wrote:

I'm flying from texas...too lazy to drive

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Cost of living is low. Be more worried about having a job. http://www.nalpdirectory.com/ <---run a search on UALR, then compare to other schools.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:17 am

fuck me, things look dismal

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:21 am

Yep. I think if you aren't at a top school, you need to look at what local/regional options are out there in the respective market. I'm just not sure where to look for Little Rock. Only two LS in the state is good, right? :?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:47 am

On a more positive note, I visited a while back, and the faculty and staff was very friendly. It looks like a smaller community, with definite chances to really "get to know" everyone. I still can't say how great it is to have tuition at or under 11K with even a small scholarship. Maybe 50K starting sounds bad, but go from a 1500/month loan payment down to a 600/month payment and your salary won't be pinched as much as it would elsewhere.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 am

I grew up in Arkansas, and, while the UALR staff is friendly, all of the UALR law students I've known wish they would have gone to Fayetteville.

For what it's worth.

If anyone has any questions about the state, I'd be happy to answer them.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:17 pm

UALR really does not seem to like people who are accepted and withdraw. I withdrew recently and did not get a response to my email, so I checked my status checker to find "Your acceptance has been canceled." Every other school I withdrew from simply stated "Application withdrawn," or something similar. Why you so mad, UALR?

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:31 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:UALR really does not seem to like people who are accepted and withdraw. I withdrew recently and did not get a response to my email, so I checked my status checker to find "Your acceptance has been canceled." Every other school I withdrew from simply stated "Application withdrawn," or something similar. Why you so mad, UALR?

Have you decided on where you are headed?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:UALR really does not seem to like people who are accepted and withdraw. I withdrew recently and did not get a response to my email, so I checked my status checker to find "Your acceptance has been canceled." Every other school I withdrew from simply stated "Application withdrawn," or something similar. Why you so mad, UALR?

Not sure. Still holding out hopes of getting off the WL at UMN. Probably going to withdraw from Iowa soon, and considering attending UST at no cost. Unsure, though. How about you?

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Probably going to go to Fayetteville in the fall. I'm sure Little Rock is a decent school but UA is in a better area and from what I've heard the better school overall. Plus I have some family help so 24k extra in debt (given the top 20% stipulation from UA) isn't that bad for me. Best of luck with your choices.

always206

Postby always206 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:01 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
mpj_3050 wrote:

Not sure. Still holding out hopes of getting off the WL at UMN. Probably going to withdraw from Iowa soon, and considering attending UST at no cost. Unsure, though. How about you?

UALR sent me an email asking me if I wanted to remain on the wait-list. I am sure they are protecting YP.

UST? Full Ride? Congrats. I got in with a great GPA, but a 149. I probably won't go. I can't forsee myself paying sticker; however, they offer a nice LRAP, unlike most schools (besides the typical fed/pub service programs)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”