UIUC full ride vs. Northwestern full sticker

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

UIUC full ride vs. Northwestern full sticker

UIUC full ride
44%
Northwestern full sticker
56%

Total votes: 81

Grizz

Re: UIUC full ride vs. Northwestern full sticker

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
Verity wrote:Didn't apply, but I don't know if their scholarships would be so great, if I got any.

To be honest, that seems like a poor choice considering you want NYC/Boston/DC unless you were assuming you would get at least one of CCN.

At sticker I would definitely take any of MVP over NU for places other than Chicago.

Agree with BK. No apps to MVP was dumb. Sit out a cycle?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Verity wrote:
bk1 wrote:Still yes because you don't want to work in Chicago or Illinois that much.

Wow, UIUC is that bad in DC, NY and Boston (which seems generally tough to crack)?

DC is tough for everybody. It has so many people vying for jobs there that it takes absolutely top grades from a top school to manage it.

NYC is fairly open, however you would need top grades to get a job in NYC coming from Illinois considering that Illinois placings most of its kids in the midwest.

Boston you will probably need ties for and it isn't that large. If you don't have them then the only thing that would help you snag a job there would be going to school there.

Schools are regional and UIUC's strength is in the midwest. While you could get a job somewhere else from it, the chances of that are slim so if the midwest isn't your primary goal then don't go to Illinois.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:38 pm

I bet you the only reason the number for UIUC is that high is because people voted before reading that you don't want to work in Chicago. :oops:

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:42 pm

rad law wrote:Agree with BK. No apps to MVP was dumb. Sit out a cycle?

This. Those numbers can get money at Michigan and Virginia.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:47 pm

I know this might suck, but why don't you reapply next year you would easily get $ at CCN or $$$$ at MVPDN, seriously UVA would prolly give you a full ride and probably something similar at Penn which would be great for NYC

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:

I'll send them out tomorrow, but I'm not so thrilled about living in Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, or Killadelphia (trying to leave). Mostly attracted to UIUC because of the dollars.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Verity wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

I'll send them out tomorrow, but I'm not so thrilled about living in Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, or Killadelphia (trying to leave). Mostly attracted to UIUC because of the dollars.

is your tar a pic of andrea bocelli and elmo?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Verity wrote:I'll send them out tomorrow, but I'm not so thrilled about living in Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, or Killadelphia (trying to leave). Mostly attracted to UIUC because of the dollars.

The schools are fairly YP heavy so I would at least try to throw in a "Why X?" to all of them to convince them you are serious about attending. I understand not wanting to live somewhere, but if you don't manage CCN those schools tend to place better on the east coast than NU does. The question is, are you willing to live in those places for 3 years to have better chances at where you want to work eventually?

The dollars are a good thing, but preferably it should be somewhere you want to work (i.e. Fordham/GW/BU/BC).

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:38 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Verity wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

is your tar a pic of andrea bocelli and elmo?

If I knew how to put in flash here I'd have that Japanese guy from "Click" saying "FUCK YEAHHHH!!!"

TGI FRIDAY!!

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Verity wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

I'm in a similar boat; in at NU, probably not going to get a lot of money, and as an IL resident, I'm expecting to mop up at UIUC. UIUC is the middle of a cornfield, and I'm dreading it.

NU hasn't handed out any $$ yet, so you don't know you're paying sticker yet. Hang in there.

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:44 pm

SMA22 wrote:
Verity wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

I'm in a similar boat; in at NU, probably not going to get a lot of money, and as an IL resident, I'm expecting to mop up at UIUC. UIUC is the middle of a cornfield, and I'm dreading it.

NU hasn't handed out any $$ yet, so you don't know you're paying sticker yet. Hang in there.

Yeah, but don't you have to do a separate need/merit application for scholarships? I read about it, and they ask you to do 1-2 essays.

turnercr

Postby turnercr » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:50 pm

I would take the money, Lebowski.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:56 pm

I really don't understand the OP's preferences. They don't want to work in Chicago, but want to go to school at NU? They couldn't stomach living in Charlottesville or Ann Arbor, but they want to go to school in Urbana Champaign?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I really don't understand the OP's preferences. They don't want to work in Chicago, but want to go to school at NU? They couldn't stomach living in Charlottesville or Ann Arbor, but they want to go to school in Urbana Champaign?

this.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm

why did you not apply for CCN or MVP??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

but, Im glad the UIUC trolling isnt as high as it seems to be on tls itt.

If its not too late, send an app somewhere else.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I really don't understand the OP's preferences. They don't want to work in Chicago, but want to go to school at NU? They couldn't stomach living in Charlottesville or Ann Arbor, but they want to go to school in Urbana Champaign?

I'm from the east coast. I wouldn't mind spending three years away, but ultimately I want to return and live here for good. Also, I'm only considering Urbana-Champaign because I got a full ride, which I'm not sure I can expect from M or V.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”